X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      That pilot ep is outstanding. Up there with anything in the film series. My fave shot is Ash's goofy grin when he puts his false teeth back in I enjoyed the show ... it found its rhythym as a bit of a dirty Buffy the Vampire Slayer ... but nothing matched up to that pilot ep.
      I think you're probably right.
      The unveiling of the chainsaw was glorious.

A later episode had some Lucy Lawless sideboob, though.

Comment

The Winchesters: Season 01
        It's kind of like a back to basics Supernatural: Season 16 but it strips it all a bit too much meaning there's little new to it to care about and as the original ran so long you've seen everything many times before. It's fine enough for fans who want one more dose.

Comment

I finished off Ash Vs. Evil Dead S1 (Netflix) last night.
          I liked the idea for the finale and it was probably the most horror-orientated episode yet.
          There was also lashings of gore!

Thought the ending fell a bit flat and was a bit too cowardly even for Ash, IMHO, but maybe the 2nd season was greenlit?
          Watched S2:E1 and it continues the story pretty smoothly, but undoes the resolution in S1 for the sake of more story, but makes that sacrifice ultimately pointless. (See also Alien3)

I gotta say, though, Bruce Campbell is brilliant as Ash. Totally mesmerising every time he's on screen.

We finished off Colin From Accounts (iPlayer) last night, which is a more suitable watch with your other half or if you're eating than Evil Dead! (See article A)

Article A:

Now, part of me loved this show. Light, breezy and two brilliantly flawed lead characters that find each other via a dog in need.
          The dog is just background with no silly "The dog has eaten the keys, give him a laxative!" stories.
          There's a little bit of farce and I was just cringing at everything in one episode as everything goes wrong for them in different, toe-curling ways.

My main issue is that some of the problems seem really contrived, rather than natural issues to overcome, and not just in a comedy-writing kind of way.
          I'm going spoiler-light, but there's one episode where Gordon meets Ashley's friends for the first time and it's so incongruous to everything that's gone before. They seem horrible people and not the type she would spend time with, let alone be friends with, but she prioritises them over him.

This is episode 7 of 8, so you're invested in the characters by this point.

However, the ending of the series is open-ended and I love it. There's enough hope to carry you through, but not too much finality to say a S2 is unnecessary.

It sounds like I'm being critical, I'm not, I'm saying I really loved the show, which is why this late-game blip seemed so much bigger.
          Perfect couples watching, if you're other half doesn't relish watching Ash beheading deadites.

Comment

Doctor Who: Series 02
            It's taken a full year because the kids the were so freaked out by the werewolf that it was hard to circle back to the show but they've finished it and are pretty all in at the moment, minds blown that there are 11 more series to catch up on too. Still utterly outclasses the recent era.

Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous Season 04
            The kids are off the island and find themselves on another island with a tech nerd, hologram bases and killer robot dinosaurs... basically the definition of a season out to prove the show should have ended the previous run.

Comment

A bit of The Cleaner (iPlayer) and a bit of Taskmaster (All4), so a lot of Greg Davies!

Comment

Have been watching Monster on Netflix. I’d not seen it before, but I have read the manga, which is one of my all-time favourites.

The story begins with a skilled neurosurgeon working in Germany whose higher-ups have him prioritise one set of treatment over another, leading to a lost patient and much soul searching about the value of one live over another. Things escalate from here in quite unimaginable fashion, leading to wrongful accusations of murder, a manhunt spanning multiple countries, and with a cast of fugitives, criminals, victims, politicians, psychologists, lawyers, and police all getting tangled up in pursuit of the truth at the heart of it all. It covers some pretty dark themes, and while it’s not spectacular to look at, it is a great adaptation of fantastic series, and is one in that very, very small bucket of anime shows that I’d feel comfortable recommending to people who don’t normally watch anime.

Comment

I watched the first ep of Dead Ringers on Amazon Prime. Anyone who has seen the David Cronenberg film will know what to expect. The twin gynecologists are now played by Rachel Weisz. One wilder, one more reserved ... and from the get-go the mechanic of standing in for each other is explored. It's better than I expected tbh. Still not toally made my mind up but I'll defo be watching ep2.

Comment

Beef: Fantastic. Watch it.

The Night Guard: Watched one episode. Utterly dire in every way.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      Beef: Fantastic. Watch it.

The Night Guard: Watched one episode. Utterly dire in every way.
                      We just finished Beef last night, loved it from start to finish there are a few points in the show where you think you know how its going to end and it all flips again, The soundtrack is top notch too all 90s and early 2000s rock that id mostly forgotten about like Hoobastank it fits perfectly here, best thing on Netflix at the moment.

for those that haven't seen it the premises of the show is a random encounter in a Car park and a totally over the top road rage incident ends up spiraling massively out of control for both partys, Steven Yeun plays a contractor who's failing at life and Ali Wong plays a successful gallery owner who seems to have her life all going great and doing really well financially. The main protagonists and are fantastic in how far they go to get back at each other, It's a comedy and a drama and it has a fanatic supporting cast too and gets quite dark at times.

Did you mean the Night Agent spoilers follow, but its like someone has taken a series of 90s popcorn movies about secret agents and spy's and mashed them all together into a 10 hour long series. Its so patriotic at times it borders on the hilarious, you've got bits of Jason bourne bits of the Fugitive and everything in-between.

The lead guy who i cant remember his name is so unwavering in his loyalty to his country he comes across like some sort of fanatic. You then have his sassy female computer nerd sidekick that needs saving constantly, A French Assassin that is quite literally an Impotent Leon with a Crazy Bitch side kick that gets off on killing. A nasty FBI boss and a good guy FBI boss oooh i wonder who's the bad guy. A hero cop with a drug problem which delivers the most hilarious monalog of the series at the most random time about getting clean and reconciling with his daughter which had both myself and my wife saying "he's Dead" at the same time,

It all builds to this crescendo of hilariously bad TV where there's a BOMB AT CAMP DAVID and we've got to save the president from being exploded" like Michael Bay is guest directing the season finale. it jumps the shark so many times so if you want to watch something that is stupid and unintentionally hilarious you could do much worse.
                      Last edited by Lebowski; 25-04-2023, 09:50.

Comment

Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous Season 05
                        The final season and to be honest this run is only confirmation that the show should have ended after the third run. This one directly continues the arc from the fourth season and so feels drawn out and tired from the outset with the only change being a villain addition that increases how overly convoluted things have become. If the first season was a kids version of how they might survive the fall of the park, the fifth is an indulgence in everything that's wrong with the franchise in a post-Dominion world. A shame to see what was a solid kids show end on a low note.

Workin Moms: Season 07
                        So, the show ends with essentially all the same flaws and unaddressed characters that it began with. It remains as fixated on the same distractions from its core set up as it became around the time of its fourth season. Not without its moments but ultimately less than it could have been.

Comment

The first McCoy Doctor Who series, Time and the Rani (DVD), a couple more episode of The Power (Prime) (which is well worth watching) and started S3 of Race Across the World (BBC iPlayer), which is in Canada this time, so the language barrier is less of an issue, but getting around 1000s of miles with no regular transport is.
                          There seems to be more swearing this series, or less bleeped out. We watch is with our son, who is fine, but a little more thought in the editing could make it accessible for younger viewers, which would be nice because some of the sights are phenomenal, in all series.

Comment

There was some love for it a few pages back, and though I wasn't convinced by the trailer or the first episode even, Shrinking won me around in time and I came away from it very impressed. Loads of laughs, and from nearly everyone in what's quite a large central cast too. Solid stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              There was some love for it a few pages back, and though I wasn't convinced by the trailer or the first episode even, Shrinking won me around in time and I came away from it very impressed. Loads of laughs, and from nearly everyone in what's quite a large central cast too. Solid stuff.
                              Any other recommendations from the Apple TV+ roster? I have a three-month trial and after watching Severance -- which is excellent! -- I'm struggling to decide on what to watch next. I gave Servant a try and it has kept me interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                                Any other recommendations from the Apple TV+ roster? I have a three-month trial and after watching Severance -- which is excellent! -- I'm struggling to decide on what to watch next. I gave Servant a try and it has kept me interested.
                                Severance is fabulous and would've been my first recommend for sure, followed by Bad Sisters. I know some people really like Ted Lasso, and while I'm not its biggest fan I think you'll get the measure of it and whether it's for you pretty quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X