• Show
Clear All

For All Mankind
    100%, long been one of the best things on it

Comment

I'll give those a watch, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
        Severance is fabulous and would've been my first recommend for sure, followed by Bad Sisters. I know some people really like Ted Lasso, and while I'm not its biggest fan I think you'll get the measure of it and whether it's for you pretty quickly.
        We are watching The big door prize, on apple tv Chris O’Dowd leads the cast in this laid back comedy about, a machine that appears in the grocery store of a small American town that is seemingly able to predict the "Potential" of the people that use it. the whole town seems to be massively influenced by this machine and it makes for an interesting concept for a show and Ive really enjoyed whats been on so far. From the mystery's around the cards that each character got to how they act on their potentials.
        Last edited by Lebowski; 12-05-2023, 11:11.

Comment

Condolences due for another under-appreciated UK actor who is best known for his TV work who died on Monday: Terrence Hardiman at 86 years old. He was married to the actress, another well known UK TV regular and theatre stalwart for almost 60 years, Rowena Cooper.

A generation of UK kids might not remember the actor's name but they'll remember the BBC series in which he starred as The Demon Headmaster. He also made appearances in Dr. Who, Prime Suspect, Cadfael, Wish Me Luck and many other well known series

One of the best of those was the later series of Secret Army the WW2 resistance/escape dramas where he played a clever, cynical, war weary Luftwaffe intelligence officer who provided a foil to the actor Clifford Rose's character, the committed Nazi Gestapo officer: Kessler. His scenes with Clifford Rose, another excellent and now sadly deceased UK TV and theatre actor, where his character's clear contempt for Kessler's interrogation 'methods' and the Nazi's in general, always made them worth watching.

I mention this because literally the same day, before I read about Terrence Hardiman's death, I was watching him in one of the rerun episodes of Secret Army on Talking Pictures TV. Afterwards I'd also looked him up on Wiki and IMdB to find out what he'd done recently.

Strange coincidence.

EDIT 16.05.23

Good to see Talking Pictures TV yesterday acknowledging Terrence Hardiman's death before and after the episode of Secret Army shown last night in which he featured significantly.

A fitting tribute.
          Last edited by fallenangle; 16-05-2023, 12:24.

Comment

Wow, I remember Secret Army from when I was a kid ^^^

Watched a couple of pilots with the fam ... one bad, one good ...

Firstly, Citadel. Amazon are promoting the hell out of this one, and I was quite up for a bit of spy action. Citadel itself appears to be a defunct agency with operatives living normal lives among us with wiped memories. It should have been fun at least but it was pretty dull and uninteresting. Won't be watching episode 2.

Then tried Silo on Apple TV+. It's about a civilisation who have lived in a giant 100+ level silo for 140 years. They know very little about their own history or what is going on outside, other than it's dessolate and deadly to go out there. Really liked this one. The silo itself is brilliant, with livestock levels and crops and stuff, it's a great idea ... reminded me of a Mega-City One Mega-Block.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Then tried Silo on Apple TV+. It's about a civilisation who have lived in a giant 100+ level silo for 140 years. They know very little about their own history or what is going on outside, other than it's dessolate and deadly to go out there. Really liked this one. The silo itself is brilliant, with livestock levels and crops and stuff, it's a great idea ... reminded me of a Mega-City One Mega-Block.
              I watched the first episode of Silo last night and was also thinking of a Mega City Bloc. It’s stylized enough to have its own character but not look impracticable.

Comment

Silo is based on the "Wool" series of books.
                I listened to the first book and I really enjoyed it.

Comment

The Swarm. Great premise and I assume the author has played Halo. 2eps in so far. A bit slow in places with unnecessarily moody shots and effects but so far the suspense is building really well.

Comment

Clarksons Farm: Series 01
                    Heard so much about this for so long that we finally gave it a go. It's pretty entertaining, definitely peaks in the first half but I imagine much of that is because it was filmed during the pandemic.

Comment

I'm halfway through season 1 of Perry Mason. It's easily the best tv show I've seen so far this year. Anyone looking for some old fashioned LA noir will be well served here. Typical HBO through-the-roof production values and long-form storytelling. Sopranos fans will be pleased to see Tim Van Patten's name all over it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        I'm halfway through season 1 of Perry Mason. It's easily the best tv show I've seen so far this year. Anyone looking for some old fashioned LA noir will be well served here. Typical HBO through-the-roof production values and long-form storytelling. Sopranos fans will be pleased to see Tim Van Patten's name all over it too.
                        Oh wait, it's a new show? Oh cool!

Does it still have the mint theme?

Oh no, wait. I'm thinking of Ironside by Quincy Jones!

Comment

yeah, brand new show (well, S2 is currently airing, I’m playing catch-up. Never seen the old tv show. I pigeon hole it as one of those dreary daytime shows in the Sons and Daughters slot. This is proper HBO edgy.

Comment

I've been watching Wednesday. It's a weird mix of teen stuff and gore, but what has me going is the whodunnit side. Imagine spending my whole time guessing who it is. My main suspect was ruled out in episode 6 - I am well annoyed

Comment

Started watching The Diplomat - really enjoying it so far, the whole cast is great but I am especially liking the performance of Rufus Sewell. I hope it continues to be as good throughout.

Comment

Marianne
                                Finally rewatched this again, still brilliant and criminally cancelled after one run

Comment

Working...
                                X