Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just finished the first season of Mr.Inbetween, about a security/dept collector/ hit man, pretty good so far, slow pacing, some funny and serious moments, defo recommend.
    Last edited by beecee; 29-05-2023, 06:39.

Comment

Finished The Diplomat ; glad they greenlit a second season this was quality. As mentioned before Rufus Sewell is amazing! love and loathe him in equal measure ; the mark of both strong writing and quality acting.

Comment

Finished the final season of Barry. This dark hitman-com has had its moments but overall its been pretty uneven. It started well and ended well though, I'll give it that. But not as great as the critics seem to think.

I also finished Perry Mason S1. This was great. The investigation into the S1 opener was a satisfying arc across the 8 eps ... as was that of the main character himself. Season 2 is locked and loaded and I can't wait to watch that. Hope it's doing good enough numbers for HBO to stick around for a while.

Also took a look at the first ep of Poker Face. It's good, easy viewing. Well made and pacy. Shows its clues off a little too much for a mystery show but its good fun.

Comment

I watched the end of Succession.

I had to go back several pages here to find anyone talking about it and apparently everyone on here who did hated it because the characters weren't likeable enough.

That's never been something that's fazed me, in fact, I seem to actively prefer grubbing around in the dirt with nasty folks when it comes to TV and film...

Anyone, I loved it from start to finish. Light on plot, heavy on character, high energy, and frequently laugh out loud hilarious. Genuinely one of the funniest programmes I've ever seen, and yet with the dramatic heft of a tragedy in the Shakespearean mould.

It's got this great structure, too, where almost every episode revolves around a single event happening in real time. It could be a birthday party, or a business meeting, but each time you're watching action that's practically moment to moment, a vertical slice out of the characters' lives.

It's quite Thick of It, in that sense - another one that series writer creator/writer Jesse Armstrong worked on, as well as Peep Show, which he did start to finish and which I absolutely adore and have watched over and over.

I just like inky black humour about horrible people! Sue me!
          Last edited by wakka; 31-05-2023, 08:52.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            I watched the end of Succession.

I had to go back several pages here to find anyone talking about it and apparently everyone on here who did hated it because the characters weren't likeable enough.
            Not eveyone. I'm not through it yet (been waiting for all of S4 to drop so I can binge) but I think it's class.

Comment

I actually almost tagged you to see if you’d watched it!

So good, isn’t it? Enjoy series 4. It’s all out now for binging purposes as I’m sure you’ve seen. Honestly I think it’s as good as the programme has ever been. Not a bum note in all ten eps.

Comment

I was late to the party with Succession and started season 1 while 2 was airing. Unfortunatey, when I completed 1 not all eps of 2 were available on Sky so I had to buy it on Prime. I couldn't wait. So good. Looking forward to savouring S4

Comment

Yeah man, I didn't get into it until even later than that. It was when season 3 was on that my partner insisted I sit down with her and watch it all from the beginning (for her it was a rewatch).

I loved seasons one to three - although towards the end, I felt there were moments where it fell into that problem of so many programmes, where the crises and climaxes become slightly circular as the writers don't want to make too many permanent changes to the setup. It didn't fall foul of that as badly as something like Silicon Valley, but it was definitely creeping in.

All that falls away in season four. Because they made the decision to close the programme out with this series, they can make really decisive moves with the story throughout, which I think for me makes it maybe even the best season of all.

I'm actually tempted to watch it again from the beginning. I don't think I've ever done that with a programme that isn't an out-and-out comedy before.

Anyway, be sure to post your thoughts on season four as I'd be interested to read them!

Comment

Loved it. A great final season and the final episode had everything.

Comment

Must admit that the rave reviews for Succession has made me wonder how fair a shot I gave it, but next on my list is S2 of Yellowjackets. I signed up for Paramount+ and after seeing the rest of the line-up (dire) I'm now hoping to knock that out within my 7 day trial and cancel before I get charged

Final season of The Marvellous Mrs Maisel was very clearly so and felt quite rushed; all of the treading water it's done up until now is out of the window in favour of big lurches to close down every possible question you might've had about any of the characters. Still gets some chuckles, ending just about held up, just across the whole thing the pacing is really uneven and threw me off a bit.

Also finished up the final season of Ted Lasso. Was originally quite apathetic about this show but that has turned into a much stronger dislike by the end; any semblance of logic, believable characters or continuity just gets the steam roller treatment for sentimentality to be built all over the top of it. I... am in danger of ranting about this, so I'm just going to leave it there.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                        Also finished up the final season of Ted Lasso. Was originally quite apathetic about this show but that has turned into a much stronger dislike by the end; any semblance of logic, believable characters or continuity just gets the steam roller treatment for sentimentality to be built all over the top of it. I... am in danger of ranting about this, so I'm just going to leave it there.
                        You're literally the only person I've heard who didn't enjoy the show.
                        That's not a criticism, just interesting to hear a counterpoint!

I didn't like Succession, so I guess we're both in the minority!

Needed a comedy show, so we've been watching Black Ops on BBC iPlayer and it's chucklesome enough.
                        Two un-street PCSOs are recruited to infiltrate a drug gang, but end up in a lot more danger than they first thought.
                        The main element of comedy is how these two polite people end up having to be all tough and sell drugs to get close to the gang.

Comment

Managed to get to tonight without Ted Lasso spoilers and watch the finale, though to be fair I predicted every single thing of note that happened in it! Screw you [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION], I love the feel good aspect of it, even though it’s bubblegum niceness, it’s been a wonderfully positive and fun show.

*I’m clearly not annoyed, obviously, even though you’re wrong.

Comment

Ted Lasso: Season 03
                            Early on in this I got the similar vibe as when Michael left the Office and I wish I hadn't as it placed a bar in my head that it didn't come close to hitting. It was a decent but unremarkable end to a very awkward but still likeable season. To be honest, I think this season wasted an awful lot of its extended run time and I'm not... not unhappy but certainly not a great fan of a lot of the characters developments that it chooses to leave things on. It's always a very likeable and good natured show, but I was a bit underwhelmed by this wrap up.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                              Any other recommendations from the Apple TV+ roster? I have a three-month trial and after watching Severance -- which is excellent! -- I'm struggling to decide on what to watch next. I gave Servant a try and it has kept me interested.
                              I cant get over how good Severance is, the show focus's on data entry worker Mark, who's undergone a procedure called Severance, his out of work self and his in work self have been severed from each other so when he leaves work he has no memory of what he has done that day. His outer self gains all the benefits, where as his in Work self never gets to leave the office, knows nothing of his previous life and is stuck in a loop of eternal toil in a windowless and stark office that he never gets to leave. The show is meticulously constructed you think why do the work selves not leave and refuse to do the work. this is explored via new starter Ellie who Try's to resign multiple times with little to no success her biggest roadblack being her outerself.

The setting reminds me of Apature science in portal quite a bit the company they work for Lumen is full of mystery and the characters themselves don't know what it is their doing. As they get more curious they explore this labyrinth of stark white offices, and find other strange departments doing equally strange tasks, that just create more mysteries. Overseeing them is an unsettelting management team that feel more like prison wardens than managers as they dole out cruel and unusual punishments for any transgression in the workplace.

I'm about 7 episodes in so far and its a real one more episode show as its so wonderfully strange and mysterious. props go to the cast Christopher Walken's scenes with John Turturro Character are fantastic, these two characters have been in the severance system for a prolonged time and they both seem to be unraveling in different ways. Adam Scott plays a brilliant door Mat, Mark who hasn't even considered looking for a way out until Ellie (Brittney Leigh Lower) shows up.

Last edited by Lebowski; 08-06-2023, 10:49.

Comment

Severance is truly outstanding. The story, the way it unravels and the implications of what is slowly being pieced together, both by the characters and the viewer.

The camerawork is some of the best I've ever seen, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X