Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tbh, mate, I didn't like the first one much. But the second one? Absolutely loved it, saw it at the flicks and it was literally one of the most thoroughly entertaining films I'd ever seen at a cinema, saw it twice!

Comment

I double-billed Batman Begins and The Dark Knight last night. I've tried to overcome my problem with Bale's Bats and enjoy everything that's great about them. And I pretty much did all in all. Still think Begins is a better film but those IMAX scenes in TDK are stunning.

Comment

I watched Ip Man 4 last night and really enjoyed it. I think it was the strongest since the original. Donnie Yen is always a joy to watch. He doesn’t even have to do much and he just pulls me in. The story felt for a while like it didn’t have much of a strong hook to it and then it all came together really well. And I really like that some plot resolutions were very economical in the storytelling, not needing to beat you over the head with them like I think some films would have. And it had good fights too, not going as over the top as I remember the second movie doing but way more engaging than the third film.

I think the first will always be my favourite by a long way and it’s largely because it’s set in more interesting times with much more at stake but this is a good closing film.

Comment

[MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION], I love Sammo Hung, but that whole sequence fighting on the tables was a bit silly.

Saw this at the cinema with my main Fu dawg, [MENTION=11673]shinobi7000[/MENTION]!
          Thought the fights felt solid. Less of the slappy slappy. Scott Adkins and Mark Strange (Karate guy with 'chuks fighting "Bruce") felt intimidating and proper bone-crushers.

Plot was bobbins about evil foreigners, but the fighting was ace.

Side note: I think Excellent Adventure is amazing.

Comment

Yeah I really liked that they held Adkins back for most of the movie. I was sure we were going to see him fight but, when we did, he really delivered and looked like he had serious power behind every blow. And yes, I agree about the table fight in 2. That’s mostly what stuck in my mind about that movie. I have no problem with some of the moves being unrealistic - in fact I often love it - but it requires some balance to make them feel special whereas that table fight totally exited from reality altogether.

Comment

The Dark Knight Rises - Watching these three so closely has definitely given me a better appreciated for them. The implications of each carry on into the next very nicely, and each one has genuine progression. This third part is very very good. Maybe one of the finest trilogy closers ... wraps things up so brilliantly. Really enjoyed this. Left me wanting more.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                The Dark Knight Rises - Watching these three so closely has definitely given me a better appreciated for them. The implications of each carry on into the next very nicely, and each one has genuine progression. This third part is very very good. Maybe one of the finest trilogy closers ... wraps things up so brilliantly. Really enjoyed this. Left me wanting more.
                Some of it made no sense at all to me after I watched it. How he got back from the desert, etc that loads of sites pointed out later. I liked Begins but DK was too dark even for me. Despite liking them as a kid almost every BatFilm has flaws that became apparent when older.

I liked the second Bill and Ted so much because they had a much larger budget and seemed to use it to inject insanity into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  I watched Ip Man 4 last night and really enjoyed it. I think it was the strongest since the original. Donnie Yen is always a joy to watch. He doesn’t even have to do much and he just pulls me in. The story felt for a while like it didn’t have much of a strong hook to it and then it all came together really well. And I really like that some plot resolutions were very economical in the storytelling, not needing to beat you over the head with them like I think some films would have. And it had good fights too, not going as over the top as I remember the second movie doing but way more engaging than the third film.

I think the first will always be my favourite by a long way and it’s largely because it’s set in more interesting times with much more at stake but this is a good closing film.
                  Sorry I don't know how to double quote. Have you seen the earlier Donnie Yen films? Like In the Line of Duty 4 and some of his lower budget weird films later. Like Cheetah on Fire and Crystal Hunt.

Comment

I haven’t seen them, actually. I’ve only seen a few of his films. I should go digging into the others.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                      Sorry I don't know how to double quote. Have you seen the earlier Donnie Yen films? Like In the Line of Duty 4 and some of his lower budget weird films later. Like Cheetah on Fire and Crystal Hunt.
                      Knew you'd have some good suggestions, Shinobi!

To do multiple quotes, use the speech bubble + icon on all but the last post you want to quote and use the normal quote button on the last one.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      I haven’t seen them, actually. I’ve only seen a few of his films. I should go digging into the others.
                      As Shinobi says, In The Line of Duty 4 is immense.

I also really like Kill Zone ("Sa Po Long"), which sees Donnie take on a ruthless Sammo Hung gang boss. Some great fights and story.

I also like Flash Point, where Donnie shifts to MMA style fighting, just tackling all the bad guys to the ground. Ace final fight too.

Nice list here:

Donnie Yen has so many top action movies that are just so freakin' awesome! In the world of martial arts and fight films Donnie Yen's movies are gold and among the best ever made. If you want more of him, you need to see these!

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Comment

Fallen Angels - Wong Kar Wai made this one year after Chunking Express and it's very much in a similar vein, though different enough to stand on its own two feet. It's about three characters who go about their lives and business at night. One is a contract killer (who smokes Rothmans tabs), one his agent who is in love with him though their relationship must be strictly business, and the other is an ex con who breaks in and opens up other peoples businesses at night. It's a pretty random film where the enjoyment comes primarily from the mood and beautiful nighttime neon. It borders on pretentious at times ... but if you liked the elements that made Chunking Express rather special then you can't help being sucked in and dragged along with the misfits.
                          Last edited by Atticus; 13-09-2020, 21:39.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Got this still to watch, haven't concluded the Nolan trilogy yet. I've had the DVD for ages but I lost it, it turned up in the last month when I was looking for socks.

Even though I often find Nolan's films quite sterile of soul and brown or grey of hue...they are certainly a spectacle the first time and I really can't wait to see this as I love Bale's violent, angry Batman.

I've kinda saved it nicely for later, like when you order a pizza and leave two slices for the morning after...could murder two slices of mic'd-up Apna-style right now......hmmm.....might watch it tonight...or tomorrow...with some beer n' pizza.

Comment

Did you find the socks?

Comment

Working...
                                X