This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post

I think I’m out of 80s/90s erotic thrillers now. I might have watched all of them. If I missed any, feel free to recommend.
    You could always start digging into the Emmanuelle movies I suppose

Last night I watched The Day Will Come. A bit of an odd duck this one. It's by Chris Morris, and it's not a million miles away in subject from his previous joint, Four Lions. Set in Miami, the story follows preacher, commune leader, and Black Jihadist Moses, a harmless, penniless oddball who lives on an urban 'farm' with his family and two nice-but-dim acolytes.

His life changes when he's approached by someone claiming to be from Al Qaeda, who offers him money and guns to build an army to fight the jihad fight. Except they're not really from Al Qaeda - they're from the FBI, and they're trying to entrap him.

It's a film of two halves - the hapless, chaotic, cynical FBI team's machinations as they try to trap Moses is well done and very, VERY 'Thick Of It'. But the stuff with Moses I don't feel quite worked. There wasn't enough to hang your hat on in terms of the characterisation of anyone but Moses himself, and the sequences showing his strange life were too wacky for its own good, to the point of being unrelatable.

It's quite funny, and certainly original, but it doesn't quite land. It's all a bit Four Lions lite.

Comment

Inception - I hadn't seen this since the cinema and it only gets better with a repeat viewing. Absolutely brilliant. What a film! Excited for Tenet now.

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
      I’ve read all the Mike Hammer books and they are all pretty much run of the mill.
      That definitely sums up KMD. Never read any of the books but I vaguely remember the Stacy Keach tv show in the 80s

Comment

In the middle of watching Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Actually really enjoying it despite knowing it was a flop. The main 2 characters are the worst thing about it, the girl gets better but the guy just, idk, can’t be Han Solo despite how hard he is trying to convince us how desirable he supposedly is. Not a drop of charisma at all. Also his voice is just odd. Also Rihanna is in it and just got to that bit.

Seriously though I like A Lot about this film, the worlds and aliens, suits and weapons, everything looks good and some really nice ideas. I feel it’s up there with the fifth element in its interest and ‘uniqueness’ to a sci fi fan but the plot perhaps and the main actor/s really let it down.

It has enough in it to make me want to watch it again. But the main guy’s voice is super distracting.

Comment

Went to see Akira last night at the Cinema. Its the 4k version. Looked and sounded great. Must have seen that film about 20 times and it's still just as nuts as the first time.

Comment

I watched I Am Mother last night. I really liked things about it and was totally into it for about three quarters of the movie but I didn’t feel it really delivered in the end. It just came together in a clumsy way and, up to that point, had been beautifully simple, small and tight. Looks good though and the performances are good.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              Went to see Akira last night at the Cinema. Its the 4k version. Looked and sounded great. Must have seen that film about 20 times and it's still just as nuts as the first time.
              I went to see it last Saturday. I've seen it a ton of times but the emotional aspects came over really strong this time. Amazing watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                I went to see it last Saturday. I've seen it a ton of times but the emotional aspects came over really strong this time. Amazing watch.
                I know it's standard dystopian future vibes of the times but it seems prescient with all the riots and general collapse going on now.

Emotionally I felt bad for the youngsters who are just numbers and test subjects. The soundtrack was amazing as they had seemingly turned speakers up to 11.
                Last edited by monel; 18-10-2020, 09:09.

Comment

Tenet

Not a bloody clue. But it’s making me want to see it again in IMAX.

There were more than a few situations where I couldn’t hear what they were saying and had to rely on the Japanese subtitles!

I checked out some time line explanations but it was 2am and I was too googly-eyed.

Comment

Been reliving my youth and Sid Vicious punk days and watched Suburbia on Prime. This film is Overlooked and underrated classic film of the 80's and the films them tune is a classic. My and my punk cousin loved this film back inthe 80's

Last edited by Team Andromeda; 19-10-2020, 08:46.

Comment

When Burt Reynolds died, ITV4 showed Smokey and the Bandit, which I'd never seen.
                      Amazon Prime just added the sequel, which I've also never seen.

Quite interesting, because they don't shy away from making the Bandit a bit of a loser.
                      There are plenty of people who cheer him on and want a photo with him, but also plenty of people who have forgotten him or think he's an asshole. When we meet him again, he's a fat drunk, living in a motel. His selfish attitude pushes away all those who love him, leading to an interesting conclusion.

Although it's nearly half an hour before we even see the Trans-Am, there are some amazing car sequences, especially the roller coaster scene and the giant game of chicken.

It's making me want to watch part III again, but also the Cannonball films, which has a few cast members in this too.
                      It's like this sub-genre of movies marketed to rednecks.

Comment

Spreaking of Burt and old classics. I love Stick which features one of the greatest stunts of all time from the late great Dar Robinson

Comment

That's impressive! He even fires a gun as he falls!

It's outrageous there's no Oscar for stunts.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            When Burt Reynolds died, ITV4 showed Smokey and the Bandit, which I'd never seen.
                            Amazon Prime just added the sequel, which I've also never seen.

Quite interesting, because they don't shy away from making the Bandit a bit of a loser.
                            There are plenty of people who cheer him on and want a photo with him, but also plenty of people who have forgotten him or think he's an asshole. When we meet him again, he's a fat drunk, living in a motel. His selfish attitude pushes away all those who love him, leading to an interesting conclusion.

Although it's nearly half an hour before we even see the Trans-Am, there are some amazing car sequences, especially the roller coaster scene and the giant game of chicken.

It's making me want to watch part III again, but also the Cannonball films, which has a few cast members in this too.
                            It's like this sub-genre of movies marketed to rednecks.

Snowman looks round, "This place looks like a sh1thouse!!!!"

Comment

It was rated PG on Prime, but there was so much swearing, I had to turn the volume down and turn the subtitles on as my daughter was pottering around with Duplo.
                              You son'bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                That's impressive! He even fires a gun as he falls!

It's outrageous there's no Oscar for stunts.
                                Yep totally outrageous when you have men and women risking their lives for films

He did win an award for it mind in the America stunts wards of 1986 along with the Remo unarmed and dangerous stunt team who did the amazing stunts in that film. I still have the award show on VHS tape.

Comment

Working...
                                X