This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    The reaction of the viewers at the end is the bit that stays with me.
    Yeah, that was interesting and I found myself wondering if I was projecting on to the movie, if you know what I mean. It reminded me of Whiplash in that I was really conflicted by the ending - it made great TV and everyone was invested and so in a sense justified everything that had been done.

I think that's why I found the film sad but it never addressed the sadness of its concept, and it feels deliberate. I think that's one of the reasons the film succeeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      it made great TV and everyone was invested and so in a sense justified everything that had been done.
      Yeah, and after all that emotional investment and the viewing nation grinding to a halt it’s followed by a simple shrug / what’s on the other side reaction. Brilliant.

Comment

I love that film. I watched it again recently and it had lost nothing, I was actually surprised by how good I still found it. One that really sticks with me.

Comment

Pitch Black - Hmmm, not quite as good as I remember. I enjoyed it once the eclipse kicked in and the light went but the first half was too long (and looked a bit too music-video'y with eh blue and gold filtered look ... bit too Australia'y too) and some of the characters were a bit rubbish. But Diesel is actually a great turn as Riddick and once it kicks into gear it's a fun watch.

Camera - Revenge of Iris - This final part of the Heisei trilogy isn't about an old lady, as the title might suggest, Iris is a pretty complicated villain. Rewinding a little but the trilogy got off to an amazing start with Guardian of the Universe. That was a film rooted in traditional technique with a modern film vibe. It was also light hearted and fun. As the trilogy goes on it gets darker and I'm not sure I'm a fan. This part three is really dark, collateral damage all over, very moody. Some might love that but I preferred the approach of part 1.

Comment

In my drunken state last night when she was in work I watched

Innerspace A total classic that I forgot how good it was .... and then also

At the Earth's Core Another total classic like almost any film that Doug McClure is in

Comment

Get on Up
              Not as good as I expected sadly, not bad but not great.

John Wick
              Gave up after about thirty minutes couldn't get into it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                In my drunken state last night when she was in work I watched

Innerspace A total classic that I forgot how good it was .... and then also

At the Earth's Core Another total classic like almost any film that Doug McClure is in
                I'll always remember McClure as Trampas in The Virginian.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  The reaction of the viewers at the end is the bit that stays with me.
                  The guy in the bath plays Napoleon in Excellent Adventure.
                  Last edited by QualityChimp; 09-11-2020, 08:08.

Comment

Another one with an amazing poster that I used to gawp at in the Starburst annual.

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                    John Wick
                    Gave up after about thirty minutes couldn't get into it at all.
                    Whut?! Has he even killed anyone within the first 30 minutes?!

I watched Underwater, starring Kristen Stewart and directed by William Eubank (The Signal).
                    Similar territory to The Abyss, Deep Star Six and Leviathan, but still an engaging sci-fi romp.
                    Jumped more than any of the horrors I consumed over October!

Comment

Reasonably enjoyed Underwater its probably in the same quality range as Leviathan and Deep Star Six too which is fine for me. Actually picked up DS6 on Laserdisc last week.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

It may have been a bit longer than that, I saw up to where he kills all those blokes sent to his house then he calls someone to have the bodies removed.

I just thought it was too formulaic, not great acting or storytelling or direction. Others might love it, I didn't sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          I really like Close Encounters but cannot imagine Spielberg making a film like that these days. To see a man abandon his family like that for an obsession is a really sh1tty thing to do. I wonder if the director was aiming that at anyone in particular?
                          I think Spielberg has spoken about it and said that when he wrote it, he was single with no family of his own, and now he does, he would never write something like it.

I know it caught me off guard too. You're supposed to be looking at the spectacle of the UFOs, but I'm there thinking "Will his wife have to get a second job, because he ain't going to be paying for childcare anytime soon." "I can't believe he's abandoned his car - the emergency services are going to be struggling to get past already jammed roads!"

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                            It may have been a bit longer than that, I saw up to where he kills all those blokes sent to his house then he calls someone to have the bodies removed.

I just thought it was too formulaic, not great acting or storytelling or direction. Others might love it, I didn't sorry.
                            Each to their own, I guess, but I really like Reeves as Wick and there are plenty of colourful characters working with and against him.
                            I remember it came out around the same time as Age of Ultron and the sight of a flying CGI city was less impressive than Wick rolling around taking people out in long, steady takes as opposed to shakycam.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Another one with an amazing poster that I used to gawp at in the Starburst annual.

I watched Underwater, starring Kristen Stewart and directed by William Eubank (The Signal).
                              Similar territory to The Abyss, Deep Star Six and Leviathan, but still an engaging sci-fi romp.
                              Jumped more than any of the horrors I consumed over October!
                              That's awesome. Tonight I'll be watching Warlords of Atlantis another McClure classic

Comment

Plus anything with Caroline Munro raises the score and the temperature of the room!

Comment

Working...
                                X