This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
    Jason Isaacs steals that with his Yorkshire accent. I lolled so hard when he rocked up!
    Yeah so funny the just do your own voice thing

Comment

And that bit with the tiny girl on the balcony.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        Yeah so funny the just do your own voice thing
        Except he's technically a scouser...

Comment

Yeah, his accent is so funny in that movie. What's odd about that movie is that I know I really enjoyed it but I barely remember anything. I don't think that's a bad thing - I think it's that it was more about the performances than the plot, if you know what I mean.

I've watched a whole bunch of films that I probably can't remember but here are some...

Edge of Tomorrow - I hadn't seen this before and really enjoyed it. Nothing exceptional but it did what it did well and came together nicely. I did find myself wondering about one plot point though...

They knew right away what gave him this power and yet when the power ran out nobody suggested doing the same thing. Or seeing what happened if several people got the power together. Seemed like an odd thing not to consider.

Long Shot - a romantic comedy with Charlize Theron and Seth Rogan. It was a bit of a rocky start but I actually really liked this movie. It was very sweet and wholesome. Not hugely funny but just nice.

Your Name - I loved this. It's really beautiful and charming and emotional. It really got me. A beautiful film.

Inception - A rewatch. I enjoyed it again. I like that it's a pretty clean movie, in the sense that it's a single mission, a single goal and the movie doesn't play with a lot of different pieces. So when it gets a little more complex, it's all very easy to stay with because there isn't actually a huge amount going on. Still not sure I quite understand the logic of the layers or whether it works at all but I enjoy the movie and there are some great performances in it.

Comment

Watched three lovely films over the past few weeks;

For a Few Dollars More
            Great photography, the skies look so good, soundtrack is also a cracker.

Kelly's Heroes
            Loved watching this as a kid, didn't know it was loosely based on a real story. Savalas is on top form and also features Harry Dean Stanton.

Jason and the Argonauts
            Top Christmas fayre, Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion animation is excellent and Honor Blackman was always a babe.

Comment

The sound of Van Cleef’s gun in For A Few Dollars More is one of my favourite things in movies ever.

Comment

Funny Games - I watched this home-invasion horror (the remade version) on a recommendation from a mate and thought I was just going to have to endure it but it was actually pretty good. It's bearable because a) the good guys are well-known actors and b) it keeps you aware that it's not real, and not only that, you're actually complicit in what's going on by simply watching it. It throws all conventions out of the window and creates a new type of villain: the politely terrifying. Another mate of mine told me years ago he'd watched the original and it left him utterly drained. I'm sure I read somewhere (not sure how true it is) that none of the actors from the remake have watched the finished film ... the shoot was enough. It's not one to make you feel good, but it does have something to say.

Comment

Watched THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL tonite, for the first time. Ralph Fiennes is one of my favourite actors, he excelled in this, reminded me of me a bit in how he handles life and people.

With charm and love and go with the flow, even if the flow is shid-scary.

Great movie, not the best thing I've EVER seen but this is pure, quality, extra-mature, Wes Anderson cheese-as-a-film, delicious and natural and old-fashioned and warm and organic. And great melted over buttery toast.

It's not a patch on RUSHMORE but it's still very good, Wes Anderson whimsy with a star-studded cast.

Quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    The sound of Van Cleef’s gun in For A Few Dollars More is one of my favourite things in movies ever.
                    This is one of the most underrated Westerns of all time, me n' my bro watched a taped-off-the-BBC version of this on VHS tape back in the early 80s, we watched it religiously when my mum n' BF were out.

Between the years of 1984-1987, we must've seen this about 40-50 times, we were culty about it, we had all the dialogue burnt into our brains!!!

I even have the music installed in my subcon like some crazy Super FX-style sound chip.

Even though I last saw it in the late-80s, I still recall the choonz of it VERBATIM!!!
                    Last edited by JazzFunk; 04-01-2021, 01:12.

Comment

Fave was always HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, tho. And a close second seeing UNFORGIVEN at the flicks back in 1992.

But HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER...it's wild. Haven't seen it in over 30yrs. Scared to rewatch in case it disappoints!!!

Comment

Painting that town red n' all...

Comment

I love Pale Rider, Jazz.

I watched Disney's The Black Hole (Via Disney+) for the first time in yeeeears and I still love it.
                          A weird time where Star Wars' computer-aided camera control on miniature filming was taking over, but Disney's access to animation and matte painters was phenomenal.
                          Amazing cast too - Dominic Santini, Norman Bates and Cornelius the chimp.
                          That John Barry score is still epic.
                          Didn't realise just how many times I'd watched it as a kid because I knew the music and a loooad of dialogue.
                          Watched it with my son, which was nice.
                          Loads of cool robots, but it gets pretty dark at times with some of the themes.

He then started Tron, but we had to stop for tea.

I also watched Die Hard in a couple of sittings, because I wanted to.
                          I don't think I'll ever tire of this film, even as Willis just phones in his performances of late.

Comment

Just seen Super Crazy Neon Man Taxi Ignition Next Falls has started a new thread here:

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                              Except he's technically a scouser...
                              Ah ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Edge of Tomorrow - I hadn't seen this before and really enjoyed it. Nothing exceptional but it did what it did well and came together nicely. I did find myself wondering about one plot point though...

They knew right away what gave him this power and yet when the power ran out nobody suggested doing the same thing. Or seeing what happened if several people got the power together. Seemed like an odd thing not to consider.

One of the things I liked about this film was that Cruise didn't make himself out to be a hero the whole way through. He started off as the complete opposite.

Comment

Working...
                                X