This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulus View Post
    Just finished watching Black Hawk Down (Ultra HD Version), not seen it for about 15 years. What a fantastic 4k transfer, superb HDR, brilliant cast (Josh Hartnett, Ewan McGregor, Tom Sizemore, Eric Bana, Sam Shepard, Jason Isaacs, Jeremy Piven, Tom Hardy, Matthew Marsden & Orlando Bloom) - Enjoyed every minute of it, Ridley in his pomp.
    Black Hawk Down has been a staple of various UK Freeview channels for years so I must have seen it now probably a dozen times in full and uncountable times in part. Always worth watching if you want a good war film with almost relentless but still credible action.

Comment

The Lion King
      I've seen Lion King 3 so I'm familiar with poor entries into the franchise. The 'live action' incarnation though, an exercise in technical beauty but also in vapid empty filmmaking. Another one where it's longer but seemingly only for the sake of ruining the pacing and letting Beyoncé promote a new single. It's technically sound yet as is always the case inferior on every single level to the original. A soulless husk of a film.

Comment

Watched once upon a time in Hollywood and loved it

Liked the whole its a movie but in a real kinda world or events that take place or not take place or its non fiction with some fiction

As it stands Jackie brown is the only movie of his I haven't liked

My favourite director has always been John carpenter but tarantino does make more quality than John that's for sure

Comment

About to watch Ex Machina. Should I gear myself up to be terrified?

Comment

No. It’s not a scary movie, if that’s what you’re asking. Or if you’re asking if it’s about a robot who comes and takes your job, it’s not that either. I enjoyed it.

Comment

Ex Machina.... Poses some very awkward questions. Very well done. Superb acting

Comment

Frozen 2. Sigh. The wee one loved it but I’m not into musicals so not really my thing. Well made with a surprisingly beefy soundtrack and great CG. I should point out the Lost in the Woods number though. This is like a cheesy ballad with all the associated pop video trimmings and cliches. This must have been done to give the adults in the audience a laugh. I hope. Well I found it funny.

Comment

Was there a short at the start, preferred those over the main event haha

Comment

Made the mistake of watching Tom Cruise's The Mummy on C5 - bored me to death. Like they'd tried to emulate and little more than copy* what had made the likeable 1999 Brendan Fraser/Rachel Weisz The Mummy and its first sequel surprisingly entertaining. But it lacks any similar charm and such humour as there is falls flat as a pancake.

Noticed that at one point the bland female interest picks up a book and uses it to beat up her attacker - the book looked suspiciously to me like the Book Of The Dead used in the 1999 film. Web sources I checked later confirm that as an 'Easter Egg'.
                    Last edited by fallenangle; 25-11-2019, 01:02.

Comment

Klaus
                      Definitely a film of two halves and I'd say ill-suited to entertain kids. When the film gets in motion on setting itself up as a Christmas tale it kicks into gear and is quite good, the first half following the postman setting up in the miserable old town is fairly miserable stuff. The kids logged off as soon as he got on the island and saw two people carrying a dead body.

Frozen II
                      Overall, probably on a par with the original unless you're in the camp of thinking that film was the best thing Disney has ever done. Takes a while to get going but once it also gets into the second half things improve a lot. The songs in the back end are decent, the ones in the first half fairly weak. Into the Unknown is a good one, Lost in the Woods is the definite high point, Show Yourself is good too and though not a catchy song a notable one is a dark little number Anna sings towards the end. The others I couldn't even recall they were that forgettable. Dovetails with the first film really well too, so well there's no room for a third film at all unless sheer money prises one out of the company - so probably.

Ready or Not
                      There's nothing clever about this film, where a newly wed bride finds herself being hunted by her new husbands family, but we did enjoy it a lot more than we thought we were going to and the lead, Samara Weaving, was really good in the role lending just the right amount of humour and grit when the script calls for it.

Comment

I also saw Frozen II and we all enjoyed it.
                        Lost in the Woods was amazing and I was in stitches how they presented it.
                        I thought Olaf's recap of Frozen 1 was also genius and hilarious.

In fact, I laughed at this film more than anything I can think of in recent memory!

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                          Made the mistake of watching Tom Cruise's The Mummy on C5 - bored me to death. Like they'd tried to emulate and little more than copy* what had made the likeable 1999 Brendan Fraser/Rachel Weisz The Mummy and its first sequel surprisingly entertaining. But it lacks any similar charm and such humour as there is falls flat as a pancake.

Noticed that at one point the bland female interest picks up a book and uses it to beat up her attacker - the book looked suspiciously to me like the Book Of The Dead used in the 1999 film. Web sources I checked later confirm that as an 'Easter Egg'.
                          Total garbage. Surprised they bothered releasing it.

Comment

It's an appalling film. Sank the 'Dark Universe' without trace. That's got to be a record, hasn't it? A 'cinematic universe' with only one movie in it.

Russell Crowe's awkwardly inserted, scenery chewing turn as Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde is kind of amusing, both for his bad acting and the naked attempt at setting up a future, never to be made film.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post

It should have been called "Tom Cruise".

Also, Russell Crowd was awful!

Comment

Despicable Me - Brilliant fun!! The CG hasn't aged amazingly well (the Minions mouths look a bit weird when they speak) but there's some fantastic jokes in it!

Paddington 2 - Love it, love it, love it, love it. At the end I think my allergies were playing up because my eyes were watering. Harry thought it was great too.

Comment

Working...
                                X