This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 Underground
    Ryan Reynolds and Michael Bay's action film for Netflix. It's very loud and extremely dumb but just about entertaining enough in an odd kind of way. Main highlight involves a shoot out where magnetism is deployed on a large scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Vanishing Point
      Didn't make it all the way through really, the set up is good but the execution has aged too much really. The flashbacks don't really reveal much that's of interest and as a car chase film it's pretty dull.

The Godfather

I actually sat and made it through, I think this is the first time I've ever watched the film and enjoyed it to a reasonable extent. I'd be lying if I said I saw in it the level of love many others do but it was a fine enough experience.
      Everything about this post is wrong. Wrong!!!

Super Soul in Vanishing Point is def the inspiration for Professor K in Jet Set Radio IMO.

Comment

Frozen II - watched it with the wife and kids today. What a pile of cack. It crams in way too much, the story is one nobody asked for; it's all over the place, songs are ****, Olaf has been nerfed and the whole thing sucked hoooj balls.

Comment

I had to watch Marriage Story. It was exactly what I expected it to be. Adam Driver is a good actor but this was not my kind of film.

Comment

Mary Queen of Scots (2019) - Margot Robbie and Saoirse Ronan - Harley Quinn looks like she’s close to death and Ronan looks hot as hell. Interesting historical film, tho’ a bit heavy for a Saturday night. 4 out of 5 beheadings.

Comment

November (2017, Amazon Prime). Weird but stunningly beautiful Estonian film about peasants. Has a loose folk-tale plot, some weird magic and a love story. I really enjoyed it, but I'm made of strange. Verdict: not for everyone.

Comment

It’s pretty rare these days that I’d say a movie is a total stinker. But I watched Downsizing last night and that movie is a total stinker. It has a really nice concept but had no story to go with it so the movie is aimless. Matt Damon plays someone who seems deliberately boring at the start of the movie and he remains so throughout. Most of the movie has nothing whatsoever to do with the neat setup and could have played out exactly the same without it and, towards the end, it just wanders off into nothingness until it eventually ends, which is a mercy at that point. It’s awful.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                  That hot Nala chick with the come-on eyes?
                  I saw this movie when it came out, so I would've been a pre-teen, and even back then, I remember thinking "maaan, one of the animators had a field day with this". It's like Lola Bunny.

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                  Frozen II - watched it with the wife and kids today. What a pile of cack. It crams in way too much, the story is one nobody asked for; it's all over the place, songs are ****, Olaf has been nerfed and the whole thing sucked hoooj balls.
                  I had assumed it wasn't that great, given that the first one was this all-encompassing phenomenon and the second one has kinda fizzled out.

Comment

Frozen 2 was bloody awesome!!

This is from somebody who didn't "get" the furore of the first one.

Comment

MI:Fallout
                      It's OK. It doesn't ofter anything new. I thought the stunts fell flat and the ending was poor. 6/10

Comment

You thought the stunts on MI Fallout fell flat?

Wow, that's harsh. It's a while since I saw it at the cinema but I thought they were incredible. The entire helicopter sequence towards the end is awesome. I'd agree it doesn't offer anything new - but MI kinda just is what it is at this point, and it's one of the best entries for me.

I watched Copycat last night. A 1996 serial killa thrilla starring Holly Hunter as a sassy cop who needs the help of Sigourney Weaver's agoraphobic psychiatrist/serial killer expert to catch a killer. The twists: the killer is following a pattern of copycatting other famous serial killers + Sigourney Weaver cannot leave her apartment due to her phobia.

It's a fun movie that pretty much sticks to the basic playbook of this kind of film, but is enhanced by some a good script, nice character development and solid acting.

Plus, it has a bit of great Crichton-esque 90s computer hacker nonsense thrown in for good measure.

Recommended.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
                        I had to watch Marriage Story. It was exactly what I expected it to be. Adam Driver is a good actor but this was not my kind of film.

I like talky dialogue movies - and I even quite enjoyed Greenberg, the guy's previous movie about a totally unlikable weirdo which kinda goes nowhere - but the premise of this just sounds so unattractive to me.

Last edited by wakka; 05-01-2020, 16:08.

Comment

I want to watch Marriage Sorry.

I didn't even know Black Widow and Kylo Ren were married to begin with!!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            You thought the stunts on MI Fallout fell flat?

Wow, that's harsh. It's a while since I saw it at the cinema but I thought they were incredible. The entire helicopter sequence towards the end is awesome. I'd agree it doesn't offer anything new - but MI kinda just is what it is at this point, and it's one of the best entries for me.
                            That's what I thought!

Cruise did 106 skydives to get the HALO sequence, broke his ankle jumping across rooftops and learned to fly a helicopter to make the stunts feel realistic.

"Fell flat"?!

Comment

Dark Skies (on Netflix). A slow-burning reinterpretation of the alien invasion/ kidnapping story with solid acting, a decent script and a believably real family. I thought it might end with a typical US-style shoot out, but it didn’t, it was better than that. It could even have been half an hour longer to better balance the ending with the build up, but I was surprised by it, and enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                That's what I thought!

Cruise did 106 skydives to get the HALO sequence, broke his ankle jumping across rooftops and learned to fly a helicopter to make the stunts feel realistic.

"Fell flat"?!
                                I don't doubt his commitment to film but yeah although the stunts were big I don't think the film sold them enough. The Skydive was good, but I think the CGI thunderstorm took something away from it. The helicopter chase was great, but it ended in a really telegraphed 'hanging on the edge' scenario I've seen before (lost world for one). Also the crash was just silly, no one is going to survive crashing two helicopters into a mountain side. Yes its a film but it was almost a 'nuke the fridge' moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X