Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devil Girl From Mars - a flying saucer lands for repairs in the remote Scottish highlands, a martian woman inside is on a mission to capture London and enslave all the men. She is aided by a large robot and martian technology. A small band of misfits try to resist.

Comment

The Exorcist
      After watching the stage version I enjoyed this more this time around even if there's still way too much padding and it has zero scares or suspense.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        The Exorcist... it has zero scares or suspense.
        Okay, mate.

Last night I watched The Quatermass Experiment (via Prime) - a proper B&W classic that would make VP nod in sage approval.
        Prefer Pit, but I can imagine something like this blowing the socks off cinema goers at the time, both with the inventive effects and the gripping, sc-fi story.

I also watched The Void (via Prime), which I've been meaning to watch for a while after reading an article on the influence of John Carpenter on a wave of new directors. The Green Room, The Guest, Blue Ruin, Stage Fright, Almost Human, Midnight Special, Stranger Things, It Follows and so on.

OK, so it's not as good as a peak Carpenter flick, but worth a watch if you're a fan with a load of great practical effects (like The Thing) in a hospital (like Halloween II (JC wrote, scored and produced it)) with some kerazee stuff going down (like In the Mouth of Madness).

So if you're up for a occult siege thriller with a load of practical gore effects, this is for you!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          - a proper B&W classic that would make VP nod in sage approval.
          About time you watched some watchings!

Comment

It's finding time for everything mate.

Kicked the kids into bed as early as possible and had a mad one watching as much stuff as I could before going to bed rather than fall asleep in front of the screen.
            Not touched a game in weeks, compromising them for some movie/tv catchups.

Comment

Phantom Thread - Great to see this appear on Netflix recently. The Daniel Day Lewis factor alone makes it essential ... and it's a very beautiful film ... but thinking back to PTA's earlier films like Boogie Nights, Magnolia and There Will Be Blood, they stand out as far greater achievements and far more memorable experiences. I get the feeling he might have done his Sgt Pepper's .. but his films are still worth seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Okay, mate.
                Truly, I can appreciate how more sensitised minds in the 70's may have been driven ill by some scenes but through a modern day lens it's aged incredibly and is tame across the board. Still, it gave us the series which was very entertaining.

Comment

I saw The Exorcist when it finally stopped being banned and I was underwhelmed after years of hype, but I wouldn't say there was "zero scares or suspense".

Even the chest of drawers moving made me jump out of my seat.
                  There's plenty of suspense, especially in the first half of the film as we see there's something not right with Regan and we see flashes of something in the background a couple of times.

Comment

Yeah, the missus hates seeing that face flash up on screen The film continues to fall flat for me though on the scares level, nothing made a dent though I can appreciate that for horror of its era it set benchmarks. I liked reading how the director hated the film being available on VHS because it meant everyone could pause it to look at the face which he felt undermined the point of it.

Comment

I watched AMERICAN SNIPER tonight. Last night.

It was kinda like a baby's nappy. Full of shish but baby-shish. It pulls punches like mad. And it's all surrounded by white, fluffy, boring American patriotism stuff.

Just like a nappy.

That's why my new name for it is AMERICAN DIAPER.

3/10. The dullest Clint Eastwood film I've ever seen. Beiger than Lenny Beige.

Comment

It's like Asura's Wrath, as well. It leaves out the TRUE ending. Cuts away like Assassin's Creed used to do/does with its chapters.

(it basically finishes with a coupla lines of text).

I know it might've imbalanced the movie...but I wanted to SEE it. It might've been the only fun bit in the film.

Comment

I watched Tokyo Drift again the other night. I’m not saying it’s the best film ever made but it’s probably in my top ten favourites. Even though Fast Five is a bigger and better film, on its own Tokyo Drift is just such an easy watch. A very simple movie with an easy story, good visuals, great sound and Sung Kang, who I think could be the most charismatic actor on screen. I love it.

Comment

I watched a very strange Ethan Hawke movie called PREDESTINATION, I taped it off movies4men around Septemberish.

Right near the start of the film, Ethan is some grizzled bartender and this very slight 'man' comes to the bar, looking like a woman trying to look like a man, speaking like a woman trying to speak like a man.

(it's obvious from Day 1 this man is a bird, like 'Bob' in Blackadder 2 but not as sexy).

Like, it's OBVIOUS. It's like a woman doing a Hunter S. Thompson impression but with hair.

It takes Ethan Hawke about 75% of the film to register this thing is a woman. And he's supposed to be a guy who's an expert with a time-travelling suitcase.

Basically.....I'll give clues.....hermaphroditic.....self-birthage.....underwhelmness.
                            Last edited by JazzFunk; 10-02-2020, 01:22.

Comment

(gawd I sound like Jezza Clarko back in '93. Lol).

Comment

A rare treat yesterday as the Monte Hellman acid western Ride in the Whirlwind was on TV yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X