Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched a classic B&W japanese film called Harakiri last night. Slow, thoughtful and fascinating story about shame and honour among Samurai in C17 Japan. Really good.

Comment

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] and I have been watching the Star Trek films with the random 80's/ 90's action flick thrown in the past week and a bit.

The action films we watch a couple of times a year. A few we have watched recently which we know we enjoy.

Executive decision - Kurt Russell, Poirot and a glimpse of the Seagal. Great stuff, but not as good as one of my favorites...
      Air Force One - God I love this film, one of my favorite "Yes Mr President" films (the other contender in this genre being Independance Day). That theme gets stuck in your head though.
      Days of Thunder - Saw this for the first time only a year or so ago. Its pretty good.

However, we decided to grab a couple of 2nd hand action films we have not seen/ not seen since release. And these where not so great.

Speed 2 - Expected this to be bad as I have never actually seen this. A couple of good moments for a pretty terrible movie, I spent the entire film wanting to punch both of the main characters in the face, especially Bullock.
      Point Break - I knew about this film but had never actually seen it. The Swayze and Keanu were nice to watch eye candy wise I guess but their acting couldn't save this movie from being... pretty bad if I am honest, I don't think I'll be watching this again for another 20 years or so. All the action was pretty good but the rest was rather slow and the believe-ability of the film was rather dumb.

As for Trek we have been watching them from the first. We have just finished Insurrection (No. 9), about to force ourselves to watch Nemesis. Will probably have a bit of a break (to get hold of the next ones) before watching the newer films.

Really enjoied watching the original series ones, especially how their uniforms pretty much match stayed the same throughout. I even got some laughs from 5 but 2, 4 and 6 were my favorites, I remember watching 4 several times as a kid (non of my family liked trek).
      We have seen ST 7: Generations many times over the years and still enjoyed it. This Marathon really opened my eyes to the fact I have probably only seen 8 (First contact) 3 times now as I have never watched it with [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] in all the time we have known each other (nearly 17 years!) This one is particularly special to me as I remember going to see it with my newly appointed step dad who had just moved in with us and I found out he was a Trek fan like me so the first film we went to see together at the Cinema just the 2 of us was First Contact.

Comment

Yeah, watching the Trek films back-to-back is a real eye-opener. In a weird way it's like the Marvel movies; they depend on a bankable cast of lovable rogues and tell a pretty consistent story, with arcs that stretch over multiple films... Even if Generations doesn't handle Kirk's so well, and Nemesis comes along at the end to just screw up everything.

Comment

Watched Zombieland Double Tap last not.

Not as good as the original but still very entertaining.

Comment

I watched A Quiet Place with one of my sons last night (at his request: he's 11, nearly 12, so only a bit irresponsible on my part) and we both loved it. Great monster movie. The pacing and tension were just perfectly tuned.

Comment

20 minutes of The Rise of Skywalker on Tuesday night.

Nope, no more. I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                20 minutes of The Rise of Skywalker on Tuesday night.

Nope, no more. I'm done.
                I tried to watch RoS on Sky the other night but couldn’t finish it. It’s an absolute train wreck of a film.

Comment

I watched THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, earlier. Sacrilegious, I know, but I've seen it about nineteen times since I was a nipper and I just can't love it, in fact I think it's a bit of a shart experience, as a cinematic (w)hole.

I guess I just think...I guess I just think it's a dull movie. DEFFO my least fave of the orig tril by FAR, in fact I don't wanna watch it again for at least a quarter of a century!!!

Comment

Not only that, I never knew Boba was an Aussie. Menacing? But I have to say the image looked damn good, this was taped off ITV last June and looks lush, I've never seen C3-P0 in such vivid clarity!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      Not only that, I never knew Boba was an Aussie. Menacing? But I have to say the image looked damn good, this was taped off ITV last June and looks lush, I've never seen C3-P0 in such vivid clarity!!!
                      Well, Kiwi not Aussie but he wasn’t originally. When Attack of the Clones was made, Lucas dubbed over him in Empire to match that. He did a lot of dicking about with those films during that time.

Comment

Temeura Morrison

This guy is Jango Fett in the prequels and voiced Bona in the 2004 version of ESB. He's from NZ

Comment

As ever, I am well up to date on all the hot new releases. This week it's been;

Ready Player One - I knew this would be the case, but I hated it. The actual story it was telling was weak enough as it is, but with its constant stream of cheap name-drops and awkward visual references it successfully kept me angry throughout. The one reference it held onto for longer than a 5-second cameo made it very clear that they could only pick at and replicate the most famous scenes, and had absolutely no appreciation for anything beyond the very top layer of things. It was like being sat next to some pop-culture dork who looks up from a checklist every few seconds and stares at you with anticipation to see if they can judge you over whether you understood the reference.

Joker - didn't hate this, but did find it highly over-rated. Hopes of it being an interesting character piece went out the window far earlier than I expected, and although I'm sure that Joaquin Phoenix gave the best version of the performance he was asked for, I didn't really get a lot out of it. Thought there were a couple of nice shots, but really it was the score that I thought did most of the heavy lifting. That said, **** Gary Glitter.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                            Temeura Morrison

This guy is Jango Fett in the prequels and voiced Bona in the 2004 version of ESB. He's from NZ
                            I was being a bit flip, I knew it was he. I didn't know they'd thoroughly wiped Boba's old rasp, though, it's not like he ever says much in TESB, anyway.

He sounds more like he's interested in beer and barbies than taking a frozen smuggler to Jabba!!!

Comment

Watched ROTJ tonite. Seen this like 60+ times as a nipper.

I think I'm getting too old for Star Wars. Time to put it to bed, methinks.

Not only that, they should never have replaced Lapti Nek. It was such a funky choon. And I hate the tacked-on ending with the various planets celebrating.

I can live with ghostly Hayden Christensen, eyebrowless Vader and blinking Ewoks but the aforementioned alterations really affect it for me.

I'd say both TESB and ROTJ are still mightily impressive epics and still look ambitious, they are fantastic visual and sonic feasts of the best type.

I just can't see who I'm gonna be in it aged 45.5. General Madine? Palpatine (I do a great impression, btw)??

Can't be Han or Luke anymore so I don't wanna be in it anymore!!!

(*throws toys out of pram and storms off*).

Comment

Disney/ Pixar's Coco - First time seeing it, its just wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                                X