Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dazed and Confused - not really a comedy, but definitely a high watermark for films about teens IMO.

Comment

Yep I love that but could definitely do with a refresher in HD! Something similar and awesome is Richard Linklater's Everybody Wants Some! That was one of the best cinema experiences ever. Such a good vibe.

I saw a videogame teen comedy on amazon a few months ago called Joysticks. Not a good film like the ones listed here but fun enough with it being porkys in an arcade basically.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
        I'd also add Clueless. Alicia Silverstone is a delight as an over-confident, over-privileged, high school airhead with a heart of gold who thinks she knows best but comes to realise she doesn't. With a plot based on Jane Austen's Emma the whole thing is solid as rock from the ground up.
        Oh, this is one of the films I watched recently but forgot about. It’s fantastic! Holds up amazingly well and is a true classic. A really funny film.

I also watched Legally Blonde which is pretty good but nowhere near the greatness of Clueless. Still, Legally Blonde is a nice enjoyable light watch if anyone is looking for that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
          Yep I love that but could definitely do with a refresher in HD! Something similar and awesome is Richard Linklater's Everybody Wants Some! That was one of the best cinema experiences ever. Such a good vibe.

I saw a videogame teen comedy on amazon a few months ago called Joysticks. Not a good film like the ones listed here but fun enough with it being porkys in an arcade basically.
          I totally forgot that Everybody Wants Some!! existed. I've still not seen it! Thanks for the reminder

There is a pretty gorgeous new Criterion Blu-Ray of Dazed and Confused if you need a new copy, btw.

Another film, and this is probably a stupidly obvious choice, is Mean Girls. That's a great film.

Comment

Watched Naked Lunch last night. After Crash I wanted to watch more Cronenberg so revisited this one I'd seen on release and not got on with all too well. I thought I'm older now and better equipped for it I think you have to leave reason and logic at the door and accept you're entering a thick atmosphere that walks a fine line of what's real and what isn't. It's pretty vile in places and it's hard to say I enjoyed it, but it still draws you in ... like a dream that has a look and a feel you can only imagine. Not my fave Cronenberg film. Some things are deemed un-filmable for a reason, and I expect Burrows' drug-addled beat ramblings work a lot better in book form. It's an admirable piece of film making but never an enjoyable one. Not that all films have to be, just my personal take.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            There is a pretty gorgeous new Criterion Blu-Ray of Dazed and Confused if you need a new copy, btw.
            Yeah, I've not watched mine yet but Criterion are generally a seal of quality.

Comment

The Godfather Part III
              Once again, much of what made the first film a surprisingly enjoyable film is missing from this sequel and like Part II it's pretty unnecessary. Sofia Coppola, you can tell she's family because she shouldn't have been cast given she's pretty bad in it. Andy (Cherry) Garcia does alright with a fairly standard but underdeveloped role (bar the very weird borderline incest and paedophile tones of the characters) but most of my enjoyment came from Al (Ca) Pachino who rather than stare into the middle distance all the time like Part II actually has some fun lines and a personality in this one.

Frankenweenie
              Hoped for something fairly Nightmare Before styled but this was a very dry watch with not much to really enjoy about it.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
              After leaping to 1990 for the final Godfather we plunged back into the mid-70's, the era of men with oversized perms and open chest hair and women who seem to never carry a bra. The very original entry and it's a short runtime film but man alive, it feels like its success rests on shocking a 70's audience. It's almost hard to work out why because there's actually very little on screen gore and despite how short it is the film is padded to seams with long dull scenes and absolutely horrific level acting. Leave it on the meathook.

Young Frankenstein
              For the most part this isn't that funny, I think I was mostly carried by Wilder who is endlessly watchable in anything as well as the level the film picks up when Marty Feldman appears on screen. There are some good moments but it feels like a funnier film could have been found in the concept.

Comment

Sanctum (Netflix). Spelunkers explore an unexplored cave. They get trapped. Will they escape? For the first 15 minutes it was a candidate for the worst film I had ever seen: wooden dialogue matched only by wooden acting. But it got better. Then it got good. And that’s the way it stayed right to the end. A couple of cheesy moments, but otherwise a half-recommendation from me. Unless you’re an aquaphobe.

Comment

^believe it or not, 'spelunker' was once the £1000000 question on WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE a few years back/yonks back.

I knew it straight off because I had a C64 in the 80s. Videogames educate. I know what a 'halberd' is, a 'pauldron', now.

All because of videogames.

But I digress. I saw NICO, 1988, tonight. I taped it on the Sky box off Film4 the best part of a year back and it's a random taping and I don't really care at all for The Velvet Underground or Andy Warhol in particular.

But it was decent. A proper old skool 'kitchen sink drama'. It's about a post-fame, haggard NICO living in Manchester in the late 80s.

I will say no more. It's good if not great. But I will say the film creates a great little stark picture of fame gone sour and aged, even though I pretty much see the Velvets as beiger than a beige stage covered in baize n' bacteriophage.

Tape it. Deffo. It's cool.

Comment

Watched a couple more 3D movies this week
                    Both were first time watches as well so seeing them first in 3D made them all that bit more special

I was basically on a live action Anime Remake-a-thon here because Yesterday was - Ghost in the Shell & today was Alita: Battle Angel

Both were really good fun, looked absolutely gorgeous with GitS being especially stunning with it's acres of Neon going on
                    Alita as a character was pretty creepy & that CGI they did on her face with the eyes was pretty off putting lol

3D on both was really well implemented & used, gave some great depth & did have some good pop out moments
                    The fight in the water in GitS was a stand out scene with the water coming at you & same with when Takeshi takes the shot at the end of the film.
                    Glass flying towards you when Major comes through the window is another great use
                    Also the sense of scale when the you fly over the city in the opening is great.

Alita has a few great moments as well, the battle with Grewishka when he uses his Grind Cutters is an especially good moment

Both were great fun & I definitely recommend 3D viewings if you can

Neil

Comment

I'm emptying the Sky box right now so I ended up rewatching THE FOG (1979 JC version) for the first time since around 1989.

I used to love this as a kid, it was reliably and ominously creepy, in fact I used to LURVE it and watched it loads n' loads...

...but it's yet another old film that hasn't stood the test of time, for me. Best thing is the music.

It's not bad at all but I'm too old, now, and I've seen it too many times. That's The Bottom Line.

Comment

Did anyone watch Sorcerer?

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          Did anyone watch Sorcerer?
                          Bloody love Sorcerer.

Comment

Watched Christopher Robin, and now I need to go lie down for 20 minutes.

I just cried several times during that film. I never cry during films. It's something about the voice.

And it's strangely dark... Like Pooh's role in the first Kingdom Hearts?! Like the premise that his world has fallen apart.

Let me be absolutely clear; in my mind, Winnie the Pooh is immortal in a land of plenty in a state of eternal autumn.

The lore of the Winnie the Pooh universe is ENTIRELY WITHOUT THE SPECTRE OF MORTALITY. ANYTHING ELSE IS TOO SAD TO EVEN COMPREHEND.

Comment

So yes we loved it.

We watched Artemis Fowl yesterday which was pretty awful. I did like the tall dwarf guy and Dench but they couldn't save this rather bland-despraratly-trying-to-be-Harry-Potter film.

Comment

CELL. A ridiculous post-apocalyptic movie about people who turn insane after their cellphones reprogram their brains. No explanation given, and frankly, who cares? It's based on a Stephen King story, and part-scripted by him: I love the guy on Twitter, and I read all of his books up until about 10 years ago, but this was just not very good. He should lay off screenplays. The Shining mini-series was just as bad. Ugh.

Comment

Working...
                                X