The Thing 3: Frozen Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Thing 3: Frozen Hell

Blumhouse and Universal Studios are teaming for “Frozen Hell,” a new version of the original story that yielded both Howard Hawks’ 1951 feature “The Thing from Another World” and John Carpenter’s iconic 1982 film “The Thing”. Both films, and the 2011 prequel to the Carpenter movie, all tie back to “Who Goes There?” – a […]

Blumhouse and Universal are moving forward on a new The Thing movie with the new film being a new full remake of the property that will be released under the name Frozen Hell.

The project comes a few years after the discovery that the original 1938 short story that previous adaptations were based on was itself a cut down version of a full novel that was never released due to printing restrictions. The full length manuscript has enjoyed a successful Kickstarter campaign and will be seeing a commercial release, as such the studios have moved quickly to acquire the rights in order to create the first full film adaptation of the full original story containing all the decades lost backstory and missing chapters. The films producer has said the new film will aim to contain the best elements of the book as well as of the previous adaptations.
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 24-08-2020, 21:55.

Instantly dismissed that, but the background makes it more interesting, thanks Supes Neon.

John Carpenter's "The Thing" isn't a remake of "The Thing From Another World", it's a different interpretation of the source Novella, "Who Goes There", so it'll be interesting to see what this new film with a variety of influences will achieve.

Here's the expanded book on Kickstarter:

Comment

This is great news, because I've always loved Carpenter's movie, and the remake a few years ago was OK. The story/concept really appeals to me, so I hope they choose a cast that I'm happy with. I'll be looking forward to it.

Comment

But why not make a true sequal to the original. Was R.J. MacReady really the thing in disguise or was it Childs or neither of them? The last movie was ripe for a quality sequal.

Comment

The videogame was classed as a sequel and there was also a four-part Dark Horse comic that followed 24 hours after the film and that is the story Carpenter said he would have used if he did a sequel.

They also released "Climate of Fear", set in a New Mexico military base and "Questionable Research" where idiot scientists don't learn from their mistakes and start researching The Thing again using material they found at Outpost 31.

Although, that could never happen in real life...

Comment

I post this every few years, but it's a short story with the events of The Thing, but written from the viewpoint of the alien.
            Massive spoilers, obviously, so don't read if you've never seen the film.

Clarkesworld Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine and Podcast. This page: The Things by Peter Watts

Comment

I only very recently watched the more recent prequel and, actually, I thought it was pretty good. Yes, QC, technically Carpenter's movie isn't a remake but, having only seen the movies and not read the book, I guess the source material is close enough to what was filmed in both cases that it's really a technicality in practical terms. While the vibe is different and the creature obviously very different, the story feels very similar. Although I haven't seen the original The Thing From Another World in decades, truth be told.

The new source for this one definitely makes it interesting. And right now, it seems to be called Frozen Hell and not as a subtitle of The Thing, which sets it clearly apart if they stick with that. So this could be a whole different thing. I don't need a remake of The Thing but, if this can be its own movie and its own story, I'm curious to see how it develops.

Comment

Whilst we're at it, here's a funny interview where Carpenter bemoans the fact people cite him as an influence, but they never talk to him about it and they owe him some goddamn money!
                In a rare one-on-one, the horror/sci-fi auteur shares new details about Michael Myers, reminisces about the late 'They Live' star Roddy Piper and reveals why he sued the 'Lockout' director — and won.

Here's a good interview with someone who's clearly a fan:
                https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/halloween/13379/the-den-of-geek-interview-john-carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  I post this every few years, but it's a short story with the events of The Thing, but written from the viewpoint of the alien.
                  Massive spoilers, obviously, so don't read if you've never seen the film.

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
                  That is a brilliant story. And thanks for the tip about the Frozen Hell novel too. I need to track that down.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    That is a brilliant story. And thanks for the tip about the Frozen Hell novel too. I need to track that down.
                    No probs!

Kindle edition is about a fiver:

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      But why not make a true sequal to the original.
                      Or 'Hollywood' could just leave it alone and make something that isn't a reboot, remake, sequel, spin-off...or have anything to do with Marvel.
                      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Hopefully this will be the first instalment of the Thingiverse. There is nothing - nothing - that cannot benefit from becoming a 'cinematic universe'.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          Hopefully this will be the first instalment of the Thingiverse. There is nothing - nothing - that cannot benefit from becoming a 'cinematic universe'.
                          Hey, [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION], this guy thinks like you and also loves a cinematic universe!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Hey, [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION], this guy thinks like you and also loves a cinematic universe!
                            No, QC. No.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X