Critics Club III: Film of the Year 2002 Part Three

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club III: Film of the Year 2002 Part Three

The last of the 2002 individual rounds as we look at the last of the years wide releases to determine the outcome of:

Film of the Year 2002 Part Three

Which of the above films were amongst the best released?
    Hart's War
    0%
    John Q
    0%
    xXx
    0%
    Super Troopers
    0%
    Star Trek: Nemesis
    0%
    Bloodwork
    0%
    Queen of the Damned
    0%
    One Hour Photo
    0%
    40 Days and 40 Nights
    0%
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    0%
    Analyze That
    0%
    Simone
    0%
    The Time Machine
    0%
    Murder By Numbers
    0%
    Spirited Away
    0%
    Signs
    0%
    Ice Age
    0%
    Resident Evil
    0%
    Red Dragon
    0%
    Austin Powers in Goldmember
    0%
    Blade II
    0%
    The 51st State
    0%
    The Transporter
    0%
    Gangs of New York
    0%
    Death to Smoochy
    0%
    Panic Room
    0%
    Catch Me If You Can
    0%
    The Ring
    0%
    Treasure Planet
    0%
    Changing Lanes
    0%
    Solaris
    0%
    The Hours
    0%
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    0%
    The Scorpion King
    0%
    Jason X
    0%
    Ghost Ship
    0%
    Hollywood Ending
    0%
    Spider-Man
    0%
    Unfaithful
    0%
    Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    0%
    Friday After Next
    0%
    The Importance of Being Earnest
    0%
    The Santa Clause 2
    0%
    Jackass: The Movie
    0%
    Insomnia
    0%
    The Sum of All Fears
    0%
    Bad Company
    0%
    Die Another Day
    0%
    The Bourne Identity
    0%
    Scooby Doo
    0%
    The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys
    0%
    Windtalkers
    0%
    Lilo & Stitch
    0%
    Minority Report
    0%
    Men in Black II
    0%
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    0%
    Halloween: Resurrection
    0%
    Road to Perdition
    0%
    Eight Legged Freaks
    0%
    K19: The Widowmaker
    0%

no multiple choice this time round?

Comment

Dammit, I thought I'd enabled that. Poll can't be edited now its live so for this once it'll have to be a game of picking your outright favourite from a list of 60 movies

Comment

What a crap, crap year for films. I think I was all about the PS2 and deluge of freshly uncut 80s zombie flicks that kept on coming out on DVD, that year.

I've plumped for JACKASS. Because I've seen it at least eight times and thought it was genius then and is still loadsa fun now. Especially with the hours of DVD extras on it.

Comment

It's an awkward list, there are some big titles but not many I'm super fond of. One Hour Photo got a mulling mostly for Robin Williams' performance but it's not one I'd rewatch over. The film I've seen the most on there is probably Spider-Man and it still holds up as one of the best entries so I went for that. Two Towers, no way voting for the weakest of the trilogy.

Comment

There's a lot of decent films in there but I'm picking Blade II as it's one I never tire of watching and looks great.

Comment

Wow, interesting one - because it has some great movies, but probably more movies that I really despise than any other list

Also, I'm gonna admit I liked The Sum of All Fears. I think it's a shame they abandoned the plans which were meant to follow it.

Comment

I went with Spirited Away. It was my gateway to the Ghibli-verse.

Comment

I don't want to pick one, Neon.

However, I went with The Bourne Identity, which I thought was a real breath of fresh air, especially compared to the increasingly stale Bond films.

It wasn't just that Bourne was a badass that could disarm someone with a Biro, but he could also use his wits and escape using just a fire escape map. Absolutely blinding car chase in a mini too!

Shame they pissed it all away on the sequels by killing everyone off that you cared about in the original (winning the Alien3 award), making Bourne a robotic killer and introducing headache-inducing shakeycam that has blighted cinema for years.

But yeah, the original was amazing.

Comment

Given it's a single choice this time, I'm having to plump for One Hour Photo - like with Dead Poet's Society, this film really shows just how good Williams was as an actor, along with it being a seriously creepy film as William's character becomes more and more unhinged.

Comment

There are some really awful movies on that list. My only contenders are The Scorpion King and Jason X but, really, should either of those movies be contenders for best movie of any year? Not a great sign for the year, I reckon. Especially as evil didn't even get an upgrade until very late in the film.

Comment

A lot of 7/10s on that list. An awful lot. Catch Me If You Can, One Hour Photo, Signs, and so on.

It also features Die Another Day which surely is the nadir of Bond.

I chose Insomnia, but now I realise Spirited Away is on there. I should have picked that - it's probably the best film on the list, for me.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          It also features Die Another Day which surely is the nadir of Bond.
                          It is criminally awful. In all honesty, it probably killed Bond for me. I have enjoyed some of the more recent movies for what they are but the stench still hangs over them.

Comment

I was confusing all the latter Bonds, but yeah, DAD was awful.
                            Some elements were okay like the Madonna theme, the Union flag parachute homage, the opening hovercraft sequence and using the opening credits to continue the plot, the fencing scene, Jinx as a strong female character and Rosamund Pike in that foxy vest top.

However, as it went on, it just descended into farcical territory with the invisible car and surfing a tsunami. A genuine jumping the shark moment and the reason, in the wake of Bourne they had to reboot the series.
                            Last edited by QualityChimp; 08-09-2020, 21:46.

Comment

Worst part is that it had quite a good opening, one that felt like it could have some weight. Little did I know we’d be in for Korean Robocop.

Comment

Working...
                              X