Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like Hereditary and actually I prefer it to Midsommar, which I find overlong and bloated.

Actual spoiler:

The naked people standing in the house at the end I found genuinely creepy! It didn't make a whole lot of sense, but the visual really stuck with me. A lot spookier than the corny stuff you get in most horrors.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      Actual spoiler:

The naked people standing in the house at the end I found genuinely creepy! It didn't make a whole lot of sense, but the visual really stuck with me. A lot spookier than the corny stuff you get in most horrors.
      I did a genuine double-take at those, really had to look twice.

Comment

I really liked the part in Hereditary where, actual spoiler:

You realise that she's hidden in the darkness of the ceiling.

Thought the trailer was a masterclass of distraction. Wish more films would do this, rather than showing the best scenes/jokes before you've seen the film.

On a cheaper Bank Holiday activity, we didn't go to the cinema, but instead watched a movie together on the projector - Sing 2 (NowTV). This was a film I really thought they'd told the story in the trailer, but it ended up being really good. It's everything you want in a kids film, with stuff to make everyone laugh, engaging story and some great tunes.
        I genuinely really enjoyed it.

After that my son and I watched Black Widow (Disney+) on our epic Marvel catch-up.
        Again, this was better than I was expecting, having some fairly middling reviews, but that's possibly because it was riding the coattails of completing the Infinity Saga and being on hold for so long because of the pandemic.
        It's definitely wandering into familiar territory if you've seen Nikita or Naked Killer, with young girls trained as assassins, but still managed to tell its own story. I think it was good not being overly-reliant on referencing other Marvel films, just acknowledging they exist.
        Plenty of exciting fight/action sequences that looked great on the big screen, that seemed relentless in the second quarter.
        Obviously those bigger scenes are CGI-heavy, but if you can get past that, you'll have a blast.

Comment

The King's Man

Loved the first two movies so was looking forward to this... oh dear. Pretty awful. Didn't really know what it was trying to be. One humorous bit right at the end, otherwise no comedy whatsoever. 5/10

Comment

Moonfall

A film with no redeeming features.

Comment

I've also watched Moonfall this evening, and it must be one of the most ridiculous films I think I've watched in ages. I watched the whole thing tho, so so bad it's good?

Comment

I watched The Matrix Resurrection. Awful. Really terrible. The story was poor, the self-referential stuff was poorly-judged. It looked cheap. And went pretty much nowhere. The only interesting idea was chucking the bodies out of the buildings.

Then I watched Everything Everywhere All At Once. That was pretty good. It’s a little relentless and I did think a few moments were a bit too quirky but it was very entertaining and came together really well.

Comment

Finally managed to see Dune ; I thought it was pretty faithful to the material, my wife who doesn't like sci fi reckoned nothing really happens and she is kind of right there, it definitely is a cut in half experience. Cannot wait for part 2. I must admit it is a bit weird they didn't film it at the same time although it does sort of fit in with the time skip in the book.

Comment

Bullet train came out in Japan last week so I went to see it with a friend.
                    I thought the begining was quite slow as the story unfolded but once there was enough info it soon picked up.
                    I watched it with a friend who did not enjoy the gore, lol.
                    Sadly, being the Japanese subtitled version meant there were no English titles during the Russian sections. Of course, no English titles for the Japanese sections but that wasn't an issue.

Comment

Watched Men, Alex Garland movie.

Oh dear. Started interestingly enough but 20 minutes in it slowly begins to fall apart and by the end is just weird for the sake of it. The film says nothing. I think it's basically saying men are bad but it's an utter catastrophe. Think Eraserhead but utterly dreadful.

Comment

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
                        Enjoying its cinema re-release, nothing really to say. Still the best entry.

"Buried alive! Buried aliiive!"

Comment

"From Hell’s heart, I stab at thee; For hate’s sake, I spit my last breath at thee”

Best quote from Wrath of Khan but it's actually from from Herman Melville’s Moby Dick and not really or at least entirely applicable. Khan hasn't been fruitlessly hunting down Kirk for years. He simply gets a lucky chance of revenge in one of those suspiciously implausible set of circumstances screenplays need to drive such a plot.

You're meant to believe that they've all forgotten about him and the planet where Khan was deliberately stranded despite the Federation database providing detailed information on likely millions of planets and the 'Captain's Log' archive stretching back centuries.

Still its a good film.

Comment

Starfleet definitely did not give one damn about City Alpha 6

Comment

Before the Usyk v AJ fight a couple of weeks back me and my mates watched Rocky IV to get in the mood I hadn't seen it since it was on at the pictures. What amazed me is how bare-bones it is. 90 mins end-to-end. It's like Fight / funeral / press conference / mood montage / training montage / fight / fin

Then there's that robot. I bet deep down Sly thinks he invented Short Circuit

Comment

Spider-Man: No Way Home
                                The extended version at the cinema currently. Definitely only worth it if you're in the mood to see the film on the big screen again, this is an even smaller alternate change than the old Spider-Man 2.1 release from two decades ago. A couple of needless lines etc added but nothing at all of real note. The film was still great though.

Nope
                                So... finally saw it and I'd probably say it's the most consistent of the three Peele films. On the flipside to that, the film might never collapse in on itself like Get Out and Us do in the final acts as the 'twist' here is much more natural a fit to the set up but likewise it never sings like the peaks of those two films. The first half is too drawn out, the second half is well done barring the eye rolling Akira visual nods. There are a couple of great sequences too but yet again I can't help but feel like Peele might be inspired by Twilight Zone but he really needs to move on from that structure. His Shyamalan like obsession with subverting his set ups really ruins the potential for the much better version each film could have been.

Comment

Working...
                                X