Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Khan is the best Trek film, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. Preferably on an alien planet, with ripped uniforms. And one of us has to be a Gorn.

Samaritan - the Stallone newbie on Amazon. It’s ok. The trailer made it out to be a better film. He plays a bin man who is suspected by a kid of being the superhero Samaritan, who had ‘died’ in a fight years ago, killed by his nemesis, Nemesis. Meanwhile, Euron Greyjoy is a Nemesis fanboy who wants to finish the carnage that his wet dream hero started.

That’s about it. The kid is ok, and Stallone plays this type of role effortlessly. It’s an entertaining enough diversion, but doesn’t do anything particularly memorably. The best scenes are early on, with Sly cutting an effective figure as a loner going about his business in the rain.

Everything, Everywhere All At Once - I found this equal parts incredible, bewildering, offputting, enrapturing and sweet. Occasionally the visual onslaught felt *too* silly, and the body-jacking stuff horribly confusing, but I’m glad I stuck through the tougher bits, because this film is a creative treat. The silly bits all made sense within the internal logic of the premise, and once I accepted that, I was good with it. Michelle Yeoh puts in a belter of a turn, and Short Round is bloody great. Jamie Lee Curtis is superb, too.

The whole thing is a raging torrent of crazy, yet the fundamental heart of the story is age-old and simple. It’s a film about choices, family and acceptance. The Sliding Doors stuff mixed with It’s A Wonderful Life. Knowing what happiness is, communicating with each other, and placing love at the centre of life. Everything else hangs off this classically simple framework in a derivative, yet highly inventive, manner. I liked it.
    Last edited by prinnysquad; 10-09-2022, 07:12.

Comment

The Samaritan was an awful movie in many many ways but the worst bit is that the twist had absolutely no impact, effect, repercussions, meaning or anything. It’d be like the twist in 6th sense being that Bruce Willis wasn’t wearing underpants for the whole movie.

Comment

Yeah. It wasn’t much of a revelation. The lack of depth in the script meant that it had no tangible impact.

I do like Stallone, though, so I found it watchable if nothing else.

Comment

Pinocchio (2022), looks and sounds (some decent atmos ) excellent - bar one rubbish looking anthropomorphic fox character. I actually enjoyed the watching with a few notable moments bit there is no escaping this a dud of a movie.

Top Gun Maverick. 6th grade script, some of the sequences airdropped from the OG are worse here. Flight scenes spectacular. 3.5 skulls.

Comment

Jaws
            The IMAX rerelease is actually the 30th anniversary version re-issued that actually has one or two edits made to it too. But, the film remained as strong as ever and if anything benefitted from the big screen as spreading out the image seemed to make the shark look a lot less visually obvious and dated.

Comment

Watched Cell with John Cusack and S.L.Jackson over the weekend. Never heard of it before but it was just a by the numbers survival horror/zombie apocalypse type thing so its not surprising it flew under the radar.

Wasn't certain if I'd understood the ending either so went online to see what the explanation was and it appears nobody else is 100% sure either.

Comment

I watched Get Carter on Saturday night (with a new introduction from Michael Caine). Amazing. A proper don't make em like that anymore film. And watched Breakdown with the fam last night. Doesn't quite hold the appeal it once did for me but we all enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                  Watched Cell with John Cusack and S.L.Jackson over the weekend. Never heard of it before but it was just a by the numbers survival horror/zombie apocalypse type thing so its not surprising it flew under the radar.

Wasn't certain if I'd understood the ending either so went online to see what the explanation was and it appears nobody else is 100% sure either.
                  It's another Stephen King book that doesn't translate to screen that well.
                  I thought the start at the station was pretty thrilling and then it just fizzled out.
                  I'll be honest, it's not that dissimilar to the book in that there seems to be a lot of walking, then they stop.
                  It's perfectly watchable/readable, but not must-see.

I saw TENET had dropped on Prime. I've seen it a couple of times, but it's worth watching again to get to grips with it again, but there are some great sequences in it like the Plane heist, 2-view fight, bungee jump and so on. I'm still not 100% sure who they're fighting in the final battle, but it's all very exciting.
                  Watched it with the missus because we enjoyed The Lazarus Project, which had similar vibes, but this is a lot more confusing!

Comment

Although I've heard mixed things about Tenet (mostly that it doesn't make a lick of sense) I still want to watch it for some of those sequences that you mention. I've seen one scene in its entirety, when some soldiers invade a theatre, which was shown as a pre-release preview when I visited the cinema once. It was an amazing scene. Even if the whole thing doesn't hang together, I'd gladly take more stuff like that.

Originally posted by QualityChimp
                    I'm still not 100% sure who they're fighting in the final battle, but it's all very exciting.

Comment

It's really interesting as to some extent, it's just popcorn cinema with a very snazzy dressing.
                      There's literally a MacGuffin holding the whole thing together.
                      At times, the cast must have been thinking "what the hell are you asking me to say? It's gibberish!"

However, if you get on board and just go with it, you'll have a blast.
                      The opening 40 minutes are just brilliant because you haven't got a blimmin' clue what is happening and you're just about clinging on when a new thing happens. I just love that excitement of the unknown.

I was being glib about the ending for those who've seen it, I know really, but it's an interesting choice to face a practically faceless enemy to emphasise the unique military manoeuvre they perform.

It looks great and sounds amazing - what a score! It's this repetitive chime that really amps up the tension.

You should 100% see it, Wakkaday, on the biggest screen with the loudest speakers, buckle up and enjoy the ride!

Comment

I will do it

Good thought on the soundtrack...might put it on late afternoon/early evening one day so I don't bounce the bloke downstairs out of bed with the bass.

Comment

League of Super-pets
                          This is fairly Scoob levels of animated film from Warners. Overall it's fine, there's a new weak moments and a few decent in-jokes as well but broadly it's a fairly forgettable film. The side note though is Keanu has a perfect Batman delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            I will do it

Good thought on the soundtrack...might put it on late afternoon/early evening one day so I don't bounce the bloke downstairs out of bed with the bass.
                            Yeah, there are a couple of those Nolan tuba BRAAAMs that'll make him soil himself.

Comment

Halloween Kills
                              First rewatch since the original release. Second time out it was easier to roll with it but it's undoubtedly a big step down from the prior film. I'm probably wrong but by my count the words Evil Dies Tonight are said 23 times. Hopefully it was for the best that COVID forced a rewrite of Ends.

The VVitch
                              Heard good things over the years and... it sucked. It's clear early on that the soundtrack is doing too much of the heavy lifting, though none of the blame falls on the cast the film just never manages to muster up any intrigue, suspense or scares.

Comment

I liked The VVitch. *Shrug*

I did not like Napoleon Dynamite, which has dropped on Netflix.
                                It's got a cult reputation and seems popular to quote but the whole thing is weird for the sake of it.
                                Not quite my tempo.

Comment

Working...
                                X