This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Deliverance.

I hadn't seen this one since the mid 2000s when I was introduced to it and watched it a couple of times. There are moments that will always stick in the memory with this film, squeal piggy squeal and so on, but my memories of the overall story were vague.

It's a remarkably good film. I'd forgotten, in fact, just how good it is. Superbly tense and compact, it doesn't waste any of its two hour runtime. What really brings it alive are the characters. The four central men are deftly given enough depth to make the events resonate, without overwhelming us or leaving them two dimensional.

Brilliant.

Comment

I concluded my nocturnal Screamathon with Scream 2022.

The theme here is toxic fandom and it’s probably inspired by constant death threats that get thrown around willy-nilly.

This isn’t directed by Wes Craven and one thing that’s quite different is the actual stabbing - it was a lot worse in this than in his Scream films. In those, Ghostface would usually brandish the knife for us to see, plunge it into someone once or twice, then hold it up and wipe the blood off like it’s a catchphrase. It’d go Display knife! Insert knife! Hold for applause! Pull knife out! Wipe knife on sleeve!

In this one, it’s KILL! KILL! STAB! TWIST! KILL! and was quite freaky in comparison. In fact, the first stab (not counting the terrifying opening scene with its smart home override shenanigans) was so swift that it took me completely by surprise.

Great stuff, but it gave me a hankering for some traditional horror…

IT (the new one)

Absolutely terrifying. Similar to Hereditary in that it blends supernatural horror with real-world threats like domestic abuse so there’s a constant feeling of dread throughout. The special effects are astonishing, the score is wonderful and the acting is first-class. It’s got a wicked sense of humour and also manages to squeeze in jokes during harrowing scenes which would catch me off guard and make me burst out laughing!

IT Chapter Two: Clownectric Boogaloo

Fast-forward 27 years and the kids are all grown up. They come back to Derry to finish It off, once and for all. The adult actors are all stellar and it’s a nice change because the first film often felt a bit Stranger Things. The kids are still bopping around in the plentiful flashbacks which help flesh out the story in chapter one a bit more. This one didn’t review as well as the fist but I think I prefer it. It’s definitely funnier, although that might be because it’s mostly adults in peril this time so I feel there’s less of a need to lighten the mood.

Lovely stuff.

Comment

I think I knew Die Hard 3 used CGI, but it’s not really intrusive. I was too tired to type that, being a lazy sod and all. The whole thing feels solidly real, even when not.
        [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION]
        I think I prefer DH2 as well. I’ve always had it second in my mental pantheon. But I’ve grown to appreciate DH3 a LOT more over the years. So shush.

Comment

Inkeeping with the seasonal horror theme, last night I came home late and found my girlfriend too far into Senior Year for her to reasonably stop, and me being too lazy to eat the burger I'd foraged anywhere else in the flat. It's a coming of age story produced and starring Rebel Wilson about a high school girl that has a cheerleading accident that puts her into a coma for 20 years, and on waking up wants to resume where she left off. My analysis based on the last 30 minutes: daft plot I worked out all of the former and future intricacies of in about two minutes? Check. Steve Aoki appearing as himself? Check. Closing with an overly long dance sequence, then leading into *another* one for the credits, scored by "C'est La Vie" by B*Witched? Check.

Chilling.

Comment

A few years ago I came home from work to find my wife watching Girl, Interrupted. It was near the end but she stopped it to talk about something and never finished it

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I

Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1956 via NowTV).
              I love the 70s version. LOVE IT. however, I'd never seen the original, so this October I thought I'd rectify that, especially after re-reading the Starburst "Top 100 Horror Films" issue.
              So, it's a 50's film so there are a few old movie tropes like the close-up of the leading lady, but it's still definitely worth a watch!
              It particularly ramps up a notch when he finds a blank clone and the paranoia really kicks in and you don't know who has been taken over.
              Deffo need to pick up the Arrow disc of the 70's remake/sequel.

That 50s one os still worth a watch, imo I think all Body Snatcher iterations are good especially the 90s Abel Ferrara one. Even 2000s Invasion is enjoyable.
              Last edited by Baseley09; 11-10-2022, 18:55.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                I think I prefer DH2 as well. I’ve always had it second in my mental pantheon. But I’ve grown to appreciate DH3 a LOT more over the years. So shush.
                We're blessed to have this trilogy of excellent movies and to complain would be like to argue which of three supermodels gave you the best shag.

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                Chilling.

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                A few years ago I came home from work to find my wife watching Girl, Interrupted. It was near the end but she stopped it to talk about something and never finished it

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                That 50s one os still worth a watch, imo I think all Body Snatcher iterations are good especially the 90s Abel Ferrara one. Even 2000s Invasion is enjoyable.
                Y'know, I agree with you. The 70's one feels like a sequel in a big city, especially as the original character makes a cameo early doors.
                Once I accepted Ferrara Bodysnatchers wasn't trying to be the 70s one, it ended up being a decent watch.
                The noughties one leant on the conspiracy drama angle and was also enjoyable.

I feel it's like War of the Worlds, where each version has its own merit and I find it interesting to see how they adapt the subject matter.

Memories of Murder (2003 via All4)
                People keep raving about Bong Joon-ho, but this is another film where everyone seems to rate it 5 stars, but I found it a bit uninteresting and overlong, like Parasite. I preferred The Host and Snowpiercer.
                Based on the real-life events of S. Korea's first serial killer, it just seems to loop in murder > beat up suspect > it's not them.

I'm desperate to find something to blow my socks off, but not keep rewatching stuff I know I like.
                There are a few other S. Korean films on All4 at the moment that I want to see.

Comment

Best thing about the Die Hard trilogy... you then get to watch the excellent Die Hard 4

Creep
                  The set up, on the London Underground during its 'quiet' hours is fine but the film seems to lack confidence in its set up and the further it gets into things the more stretched the premise becomes with increasingly strained logic jumps and plot developments that ultimately rob it of any impact

Comment

Originally posted by Qualitychimp
                    People keep raving about Bong Joon-ho

Uh huh.

, but this is another film where everyone seems to rate it 5 stars

OK

but I found it a bit uninteresting and overlong, like Parasite.

WHAT

Originally posted by Neon Ignition
                    Creep
                    The set up, on the London Underground during its 'quiet' hours is fine but the film seems to lack confidence in its set up and the further it gets into things the more stretched the premise becomes with increasingly strained logic jumps and plot developments that ultimately rob it of any impact

Remember watching this back when it came out. An incredibly silly film. Sort of fun though, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      WHAT
                      See?! Everyone thinks he's amazing!
                      I thought Parasite was overly-reliant on the rich couple being absolute morons to the point that they didn't even know the layout of their own house.

I liked this bit in Memories of Murder where a suspect was twanging a ruler to run really fast on Track & Field!

Last edited by QualityChimp; 12-10-2022, 11:35.

Comment

I actually mostly like Parasite rather than Joon-ho's oeuvre as a whole. Wasn't that keen on The Host.

I think there is fable-like quality to the film. I don't think it's necessarily intended to be wholly realistic, more kind of a parable, so it can get away with elements that are strange and unbelievable. I absolutely love it, one of the films where I feel fired up with passion once I'm finished watching it.

Horses for courses I guess.

Comment

I'm with QC, Parasite was decent in parts but overall gets worse the longer it runs. It's like a very good short film padded out to full length with ill fitting plot developments

Comment

I watched a fair few of Bong's films after Parasite but none came close to it imo. Parasite is beautifully made and fun as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              I watched a fair few of Bong's films after Parasite but none came close to it imo. Parasite is beautifully made and fun as hell.
                              Yeah that's where I'm at also.

Comment

Last night in Soho. Thoroughly enjoyed this time hopping horror. Bit tv film at times and ropey script aside, cool idea and very watchable. Not a massive fan of Edgar Wright stuff typically.
                                Last edited by Baseley09; 12-10-2022, 19:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X