X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deffo curious to see Pearl!

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      Went as Riff Raff the first time then we all went as Translyvianas. I don't know how the ladies of the world manage high heels...!
      Brilliant!

I think with these things, you're going to look more out-of-place if you're in normal, square clothes than high heels!

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
        What did you expect from a film who's title is "Cocaine Bear"?
        I'll be honest, a bit more of everything - like a movie on coke!

Could've been gorier and had more bear. At times it just felt like people lost in the woods rather than at risk from a drug-crazed bear.

Comment

Stupidly long plane journeys. So I watched Black Adam. A very average and forgettable superhero movie that does come close to being interesting in places. The Rock is good as always and the backstory of the character is great and makes him stand out but little is done with it and it throws a whole new superhero team into the mix and, for me, it struggled to make them interesting. I quite liked seeing Dr Fate on screen, remembering a version of him from the late 80s or early 90s Justice League comics. But overall, I didn’t think it was great. A passable entertaining companion piece to Shazam… and yet made me feel throughout like maybe the character would have been better saved for a Shazam film.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            and yet made me feel throughout like maybe the character would have been better saved for a Shazam film.
            Yeah, but WB have a NEW DCCU to build!
            Gotta have all them origin films first!

(Although they seem to have axed everything and are starting again.)

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              Yeah, but WB have a NEW DCCU to build!
              Gotta have all them origin films first!
              Even with that mindset, it did strike me as a little odd to make something so connected to Shazam and having the word thrown around throughout the movie and yet feeling like it was kept at arms length.

Comment

That's all Johnson's doing. He fancied himself the new head of DC and was making a play for it but just like how he won't go for roles where he gets beaten, he won't tolerate things that he feels undermine his role. He was dead set against having Shazam meet Black Adam because it would typically frame his character as the villain and work against his own image by having a kid beat him. He was instead pitching for a Black Adam vs Superman film and thought Black Adam would act as a tonal reset for the DCU with its success leveraging for that follow up and him gaining more control. The film didn't pan out though and he was unaware Gunn was already in the frame so dove straight on out of the DCU. I think Black Adam probably gets the tonal shift right to an extent, it's easier to watch than the dour end of the scale and circles being closer to what is needed but it wastes the supporting cast and like you say, doesn't really add anything of real value beyond what Shazam did with that 12 second sequence describing that Black Adam had once turned on the Wizards.

All gone now though, presumably the character will be benched for the next 10yrs.

Comment

Pulp Fiction (1994 via Netflix).
                  A combination of this being on my bucket list poster and a nudge from Flick Connection that it's still worth a rewatch.
                  He was right, it was glorious.
                  It still makes me laugh all these years later.

Not everyone likes it. Here are some Letterboxd reviews:
                  • tarantino is one weird guy
                  • a good movie but god imagine my ****ing disappointment when i found out the movie wasn't all about mia wallace nobody cares about you bruce willis
                  • if a jukebox was a movie (idk maybe it's deeper than that)
                  • expected more from loosing my tarantino virginity but uma thurman was uma thurman. pitch perfect 1 was better than this.
                  • movie was so boring until the rape scene
                  • This movie was a bit too wild for me. I didn’t care for the characters or storyline.

Comment

Not sure I'll ever rewatch it. I loved it but I fell out of love with Tarantino in his later films and I wonder now what I'd make of Pulp Fiction years later.

Comment

Only one way to find out, boss...

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Only one way to find out, boss...
                        Or I could just watch The Lost Boys or Bloodsport again, which is usually how this goes.

Comment

Or I could just watch The Lost Boys or Bloodsport again, which is usually how this goes.
                          Trying to avoid rewatches, but the stars aligned and it was meant to be.
                          Really glad I watched it. It was like seeing an old friend and having a few laughs.

Marcellus Wallace and Jules Winnfield were particularly excellent.

Comment

Enter the Dragon or Zodiac, for me.

Comment

I watched Dial M for Murder this week. I saw it years and years ago and remembered nothing about it. It's based on a play and changes very little about the source, which is actually a strength of the film, giving it a particular vibe ... and if it ain't broken and all that. But it's hardly like Hitch sets a camera up in front of the action and leaves it at that ... it still has great cinema craft and playful flourishes. It's single location (mainly ... like 99% of it) puts it in a box with Rope and Rear Window ... but unlike those, where the story dictates the location, this is pretty much because it was written for the stage.

It won't shock anyone with any super twists or anything ... the mystery is paper thin ... but it does have some delicious suspense at times. Along with a trademark Technicolor grandness. And Grace Kelly (her first film with Hitch). It also has a perfect intermission, giving you time to ponder the events and grab a King Cone.

If it has a small negative it's the fact it was made with 3D in mind and it's a little too obvious in one or two moments.

Comment

Fall
                                Fairly effective for what is a fairly low budget film about a woman trying to get over the trauma of her husband dying whilst they were climbing a rock face. Her and her friend climb a rusty 2,000ft tower in the desert only to get stuck on it. The backdrop often fails them with obvious blue screening but the physicality of the tower and wind sells it along with the performances and it manages enough tweaks to keep itself interesting to the end.

The Never Ending Story
                                Never loved it as a kid, still not really sold on it but the ending is fairly clever considering when it was made

Comment

Working...
                                X