Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught Covid, so I've been in isolation and watched a few films once I got over the worst of it.
    I'm fine, thanks for asking.

I Am Mother (2019 via Netflix)
    Fancied this sci-fi film about a girl raised in a futuristic bunker after an apocalypse and her only companion is her control droid, Mother. Things take a turn when a wounded person bangs on the hatch for help when Mother said everyone was dead...
    Small-scale film that has some interesting ideas and there's a constant shift in control when we don't know who cannot be trusted. Nothing astonishing but I'm glad I watched it, especially for the performances and sets.

Snatch (2010 via Netflix)
    One for the bucket list poster and a film I'd not seen for ages but it's still a joy to watch. I'd forgotten how great it is. Some great fast cuts that were popular at that time (see Edgar Wright and Danny Boyle) that keep it snappy.
    I think one of the things that impresses me most is being able to walk that tightrope between humour and tension. There are lots of laughs, but once Brick-top owns Turkish and Mickey, the tone turns really desperate as we see the fruit machines smashed and caravans burned. Excellent.

Below Zero (2021 via Netflix)
    Love how Netflix has all these foreign films you'd have missed or only caught in a late night C4 or BBC2 international movie season, pre-streaming.
    This plays out like a mobile Precinct 13 where a prison van is besieged from unknown forces.
    Yeah, decent little action thriller from Spain, this. Some interesting characters and a mystery to deduce as to who on the bus is wanted and by whom.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011 Prime)
    Another leaving Prime, so I finally watched this spy corker.
    Loads of amazing actors in the cast!
    At first, I was struggling as it was so slow, but it's nice to have a story slowly fold out in front of you. As the pieces started to slot together and you're finally going to discover who the spy is, there's a real buzz and I didn't know beforehand who it was.

Midnight Special (2016 via NowTV)
    One I've been meaning to watch since the cinema, but never have.
    This didn't quite reach the heights I hoped it would, mainly because I feel both the father and son were too quiet with not enough chemistry between them.
    That said, there's an excellent tone throughout this as a gifted child is taken on the run by his father whist being pursued by the cult that worship him and the government that fear him. A sombre score really ups the tension.
    It felt like a 15-rated version of D.A.R.Y.L. at times, which is fine by me.

Werewolves Within (2021 via Netflix)
    Mates suggested this and it was a real blast!
    A comedy horror where a small isolated town are forced to shelter together when their generators are slashed and it seems like they're being picked off by a werewolf - or are they?
    This was a lot of fun with some quirky characters and likeable leads with a fun pay-off at the end.
    Friday night beer and laughs flick.

Amélie (2001 via Prime)
    I remember being underwhelmed when I saw this BITD, but tried again for the bucket list poster and I loved it.
    Wow, what a charming, whimsical film!
    I loved seeing how Amélie's plans started clicking together and how she was oblivious to people seeing she needs help too. Lovely!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      I'm fine, thanks for asking.
      Good to hear.

I did the same when i had Covid ... I set up a camp in the living room

Comment

I will just add that I thought the storytelling in Midnight Special was really interesting and lets the audience do a lot of the deduction.

One scene has two guys from the cult wanting to find out where the boy is, so they ask his grandmother where her daughter is.
        The scene is about 2 minutes. We see a bag of guns and the guys in the car for most of it. It finished with them asking the question.
        We get no answer at this point, or a protracted torture scene, but the next time we see them, they at the deserted hideout, so we know that they got the information.

Really clever ways to lead the audience. The director, Jeff Nichols, said to give the audience 2+2, don't give them 4.

Nice video about it here and I'd love to hear some opinions of other cineastes about how successful you think the film is. [MENTION=2725]Baseley09[/MENTION], I reckon you'd get something from Midnight Special, combining elements of D.A.R.Y.L., A Perfect World and even K-Pax.

Genuine spoilers within - please watch Midnight Special first.

Comment

QC you've been absolutely smashing the films out lately. Nuff respect.

I was away all weekend doing family stuff so watched nowt.

I've not seen most of the films you watched this weekend just gone but did see Midnight Special not long after it originally came out. It was a film I loved the idea of, but found the delivery ultimately underwhelming. I think I might need to give it another try on the strength of your thoughts though, as I loved Nichols's Mud. Been meaning to watch Take Shelter by him, too, for ages.

Comment

It's only through necessity!
            Plus Elden Ring was taking up all of my free time, so needed a change.
            Cheers, though.
            I'm enjoying trying to mix up genres as I'll just watch action and sci-fi if I don't push the boat out. Glad I tried those biopics.

I do agree with what you're saying about Midnight Special, though.
            It didn't quite work for me either, but I liked how sparing it is with the details.
            It felt like I'd missed something at the start - they don't even use each others names for the best part of the first ten minutes! Then I realised they didn't have to.

Mud and Take Shelter have been on my to-watch list for a while and would like to see more of this economical narrative technique, now I know what to expect.

Comment

Mud is a really cool film. Definitely give it a watch. Really atmospheric.

Comment

Fame
                Working through the notable films of the years means you get to see some lesser known stuff or missed stuff that is a pleasant surprise. Likewise you see some notable stuff that despite its celebrity turns out to be utter guff and that's what Fame is. It's all fluff and no substance.

Comment

Dear Evan Hansen
                  It has its weak points and its strong points but overall we enjoyed this and considering it has a pretty heavy poor response online we didn't find it deserving of that bad rep at all.

John Wick: Chapter Four
                  The sequel I've seen cited as being one of the greatest action films of all time, is it? No. It's an incredibly solid follow up though and there are two or three really good sequences in there mixed with some that lean too hard into 'seen it' territory and one that is distractingly poorly framed. The main criticism of this would be the plot, it pretty much ignores both the set up of the prior film and even the set up of its own opening with many I expect being very mixed on where the film leaves things. A solid, good sequel four films in is impressive in of itself though.

Comment

This week I watched Joker and The Batman again. Both brilliant but it was The Batman that really made an impact on second viewing. I'd say it's probably my fave Batman film alongside Mask of the Phantasm.

Also thoroughly enjoyed a bit of Hitchcock with North By Northwest which is always a thoroughly pleasant journey to go on ...

And I actually watched something I hadn't seen before. Sub renewed on Disney+ so I had a browse of the films and watched The Banshees of Inisherin. It is absolutely brilliant. A simple premise takes hold in the opening minutes and you can't tear yourself away. It's very funny in places but beneath the laughter there are deeper factors brewing. It's a work of genius. Original too. The writing and acting is just about as good as it gets. Highly recommend it.

Comment

I was underwhelmed with Joker, but I'd like to rewatch The Batman as I think there's a lot I didn't appreciate on first viewing, including the underrated cinematography.

Comment

The Neverending Story Part II
                        The Neverending Story Part III

Load of rubbish

Comment

The only thing I know about The Neverending Story III is that Jack Black is in it.

Comment

His hair and beard are literally all that ever changes

Comment

I saw John Wick Chapter 4 (2023) at the cinema last night and loved it.

It's probably a bit too long and could have been a little tighter, but I was grinning throughout most of it.

Great cast and story and some amazingly inventive action sequences.

If you like the preceeding films, you know what you're getting and if you're happy spending a few hours with Keanu shooting people in the knees and face.

After the first film, it's moved into this kind of comic book world where everything is distilled to the max and you're either onboard with that or think it's silly.

I gotta tell you, though, it looks amazing.
                              Some absolutely gorgeous cinematography throughout.

Comment

Yep, I've still held back from getting into it as people are still going out to discover it for themselves but for me the biggest weak point and argument in favour of a Chapter 5 being made would be the story - personally, it's pretty terrible and the quality of the action etc papers over it so I'm torn on whether there should be another entry. It could correct the mistake Ch4 makes but at the same time spoil things if it isn't a solid follow up in of itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X