X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw Edge of the Axe (1988 via Prime).

Rubbish.

Comment

Promising Young Woman did a good job of constantly defying my expectations, but didn't quite stick the landing well enough for me to recommend it unreservedly. Thought the central performance was weak at first, but found it got a little better as the story progressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        They made that film already. It was called Life. I didn't even hate it.
        I quite enjoyed life. Heck of a good cast and it pootles along at a good pace.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Jason Takes A Boat Ride with just a touch of Manhattan at the end.
          I smell a sequel!!!

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
            I quite enjoyed life. Heck of a good cast and it pootles along at a good pace.
            I couldn't stand Life. It's one of those films where all the scientists are really stupid and have clearly never seen a single sci-fi movie.

I couldn't wait any longer and I watched Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982 via Netflix).

I just love it so much, it's brilliant. I'm even on a Facebook group with other people who love it!

It's a real shame that the spin-off movie idea never took off as I get real burn out from franchise fatigue. There's a new Halloween out (Kills?) at the cinema, but I have no real motivation to see it as everything seems the same by the end of these films, or they retcon everything in the next one.

Without looking, could you say which one is which and what happens in Halloween 4, Halloween 5, Halloween, Halloween H20, Halloween Resurrection, Halloween, Halloween II, Halloween and Halloween Kills?

Comment

I have only ever seen the first three films. I had no need to see another Myers ones.

I watched Office Space last night. Aside from an end that is just too convenient and happens just to finish up the movie, I loved it. It’s very funny and holds up really well after so many years. Quirky and unique and with a great cast.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Without looking, could you say which one is which and what happens in Halloween 4, Halloween 5, Halloween, Halloween H20, Halloween Resurrection, Halloween, Halloween II, Halloween and Halloween Kills?
                Halloween 4 - Not really
                Halloween 5 - The one with the little girl who shows signs of following Myers path?
                Halloween 6 - Nothing except the only thing that matters, Paul Rudd!
                Halloween H20 - Pretty much all of the film
                Halloween Resurrection - Pretty much all of the film for my sins
                Halloween - Most of it
                Halloween II - Most of it
                Halloween (18) - Every bit

There's a huge amount of guff in the franchise, I know H20 is well thought of but it's aged quite aggressively and reeks too hard of the 00's era horror where the genre was limping along. For the most part the only line of films that are required at this point are the original 78 film and the 2018 sequel that replaces the canon. Whilst sequels to the franchise are what they are the 2018 sequel was delivered solidly and cut out all the other films supernatural and plot cheese nonsense, returning it more back to basics. We're interested in watching Halloween Kills and next years Halloween Ends. The trailer looks more of the same but the next two films end the franchise (again) as a four film narrative with the 2018, Kills and Ends all taking place over one night so if they're consistent it should cover everything needed in a consistent with the original manner.

Ironically with the season almost upon us the missus wanted to revisit the franchise. Having watched the original not long ago due to the year of its release we jumped straight in with the sequel and will be skipping Season of the Witch because *raises flame shield* even if it weren't titled Halloween it would still suck.

Halloween II
                A passable sequel. It was right to set it as a continuation of the same night but the film reeks of no-ones heart being in it. It's a much clumsier film than the original and spends far too much time in the hospital that somehow only has five staff and no patients. Jamie Lee spends most of the film in bed too whilst Loomis is borderline a nutter. It's easy to see why the makers of the last film saw replacing it with a new sequel would be a solid jumping point.

Army of the Dead
                There are moments... moments where it feels like this could be a fun revisit to the genre after Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake but it just doesn't hold up well in so many ways. The smarter zombies make no sense and add next to nothing to the plot, the few decentish characters are wasted and plot beats are underserved.

Comment

I can understand why some wouldn't like Season of the Witch, but then some people say Citizen Kane is an ancient black and white borefest about a sledge. *shrug*

For me, I've found myself rewatching it every October, and giving all the Myers ones a hard pass, although the last one was pretty good, especially that one-take section.

Halloween III is just a perfect storm for me. Before I'd even seen it, my Mom had caught some of it when it was on telly and told me about this horrible film she turned off when a woman had insects beamed out of her face.

The soundtrack is mint. It's almost like another character, hurrying the story along, as if there's some kind of deadline looming...

Tom Atkins' character, Dr. Tom Challis is a total badass. Rocks up late to pick up his kids from his ex-wife, gives 'em the worst, cheapest masks he could get from a petrol station, then naffs off and we never see them again. He has a string of women fawning after him and nails the hottie, despite her being in mourning.

It's crazy-gory too, with all sorts of inventive and brutal deaths.

I think the thing I like most is that it's not someone running away from a masked killer, with all the tropes that go with it, but that it's actually a spiralling mystery that needs to be unravelled. The resolution is pretty hokey, but you've had so much fun getting there, it doesn't matter and the absurdity just adds to the package.

It just clicks with me and I have a blast every time I watch it and it'll never blur into any of the other Halloween films because it's so markedly different and is trying something new.

Horror fans are strange in that they seem to just want to see the same things over and over and over, so we have a gazillion Jason, Freddy and Michael films, usually doing the same thing.

Comment

He has a string of women fawning after him and nails the hottie, despite her being in mourning.
                    That wasn't Halloween III, it was SPECTRE!

Comment

I watched Quantum of Solace last night.

I still like it. Come at me, Bro!!

Comment

I can understand why some wouldn't like Season of the Witch, but then some people say Citizen Kane is an ancient black and white borefest about a sledge. *shrug*
                        FFS [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION], spoilers!!!

Comment

Halloween 4
                          I was kind of wrong in my guesswork, the kid clown stuff starts here. It's a passable film but yeah, the quality is a fair drop off from the previous films.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                            I watched Quantum of Solace last night.

I still like it. Come at me, Bro!!
                            I would, but the incessant fast cuts have me bleeding all over the carpet.

Comment

Halloween 5
                              It's amazing that the studio went into making this next film so quickly after the fourth film and yet the quality drop off is so strong. More needless paranormal leaning nonsense, increasingly irritating characters, Loomis is just becoming stupid at this point and the direction/tone is becoming messy

Comment

I watched a lot of films recently but a couple were real standouts. One I hadn't seen before: Oliver. Isolating for 10 days this was like a life raft. Pure joy. Such a lavish production too. The sets are colossal and full of the tiniest detail. There's just no way any film would be made like this ever again. A feast for the eyes and the heart. Beautiful. And a great way to christen the recent Columbia Classics set.

Another recent UHD arrival is a film I've seen before but never appreciated as much. A Clockwork Orange. I first saw it when I was about 20 on a grimy 50th gen VHS copy. I didn't really like it. And a banned film on a dirty VHS can file itself away in your mind as little more than a nasty. Also, despite owning it in a Kubrick collection since I was never in the mood to go back. But as happened with The Exorcist, watching with an older head on my shoulders (and a proper official release that you can actually see and hear) I thought it was amazing. It's been less than a week since seeing it and already I want to go back for seconds (Oliver's influence???). The film just dazzles and disgusts constantly. And Malcolm McDowell's performance is something else ... his narration is phenomenal. What a film.

Comment

Working...
                                X