Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night I watched a film on Prime called The Voyeurs. I think it pitched itself as sort of an erotic thriller and, as you might remember, I have a big thing for the 80s/90s movies from that genre. Actually the last great one I remember is Unfaithful from the very early 2000s from Adrian Lyne who directed that new Deep Water film, which didn't land for me. Has there been any since?

Anyway, The Voyeurs is an interesting watch. The writing is clunky and all the early dialogue is noticeably off, like you can hear every bit of exposition that is happening. And the two leads feel like student actors, but I honestly think that's probably more due to those lines than the actors themselves. The main guy sounds like a Muppet though and that is such a huge distraction. Like, really. He sounds like a Muppet. And he's the main guy from Detective Pikachu and I don't remember him sounding like a Muppet in that. But there were scenes where I was just laughing my ass off because this guy sounds like a Muppet. So yeah, the clunky lines, the not so great acting that goes with them and then the Muppet voice mean a lot is going against this film.

And story wise, it kind of loses its way at a certain point and descends into ridiculousness.

So I didn't think it was great. And yet I felt like it was close. Had the writing been a bit better or the actors managed to do more with it, maybe it would have been good. It looked good and the flow and the edit was great. In spite of one of the characters being a Muppet, it managed to be sexy at times too. I must look to see who directed it because I reckon with better ingredients they could probably pull off a very hot thriller. This isn't quite it but it's still an interesting watch.

Comment

Eternals
      First time since the first time and it's still kind of merely passable

Comment

I just needed to follow up on my previous post with these.

Detective Pikachu trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roy4o4tqQM

The Voyeurs trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fiCdELSwwI

Why is he doing that thing with his voice in that movie?! WHY BE A MUPPET FOR ONE MOVIE?!

Comment

OK, I just watched The Voyeurs trailer bearing in mind The Muppets thing and, LOL. I'm dead. That is so funny.

"Check out those two...ahhhh, they're in love"

Why is his voice like that?!!

Comment

After seeing the wicked poster for the sequel, I decided to finally watch the Sonic film.

Blimey, it looked alright from the trailer but I wasn’t expecting it to be this good!

Putting aside the production troubles with Eyegate and whatnot, I think it’s clear the people involved love Sonic (he spends the film trying to get to San Francisco). Also, getting Jim Carey to play Robotnik was a masterstroke and added to the 90s feel. And his truck was flipping cool.

I loved every minute of it.
            Last edited by randombs; 29-03-2022, 08:26.

Comment

Since picking up the Ghostbusters box-set I've watched all 3 films and hours special features. When I first watched Afterlife a little while back it didn't land with me as much as I'd hoped but watching it again last night, in sequence, I loved it. Watched it with one of my sons who loved it too. I must have been in a funny mood first time around.

Also watched Mary Shelley's Frankenstein this week. What a strange film. I saw it back in 94 but dismissed it as a bit of a post Dracula cash in. Watching it again, yes it's no masterpiece, yes it has its faults, but it's entertaining, it's sad and it oozes atmosphere.

Comment

I often find myself wanting to watch that Frankenstein film again. I saw it years ago on VHS - probably around the time it came out - and can still recall a lot of the imagery and yeah, it’s a really sad film.

Comment

Watched Blake Lively in The Rhythm Section earlier this week and was bored out of my skull.

The poor reviews were fully justified.

I liked her in the survival horror film The Shallows even though it went a bit silly towards the end so I was hoping at least it would be watchable fare but no, it wasn't.
                  Last edited by fallenangle; 31-03-2022, 01:56. Reason: Typo

Comment

Boss Level. Very watchable.

Comment

The Batman
                      Second viewing and I enjoyed it, it's much easier to follow on rewatch though if one flaw does stand out more it's the lack of action to break up the long slow runtime. I'm, planning on rewatching the Nolan trilogy but I feel the rewatch helped cement this as the superior film.

Ambulance
                      Nods to Bad Boys and The Rock but the main issue for this film, which could easily have been some sort of modern day Speed 3, is that it's made by modern day Michael Bay so any references just compound how the guy has utterly forgotten how to direct action. This is very much an action film from Transformers era Bay so there's sweeping bad angles, electrical sparks, lens flare and enough shakey cam to make you think you've developed parkinsons mid-runtime. It's a quick and simple set up but goes dumb halfway through and blows its ending too. There's enough action to make it passable but it needed to be made by a better set of hands.

Comment

I wasn't really interested in Ambulance, but I saw some making-of footage and Bay brought in a load of FPV drone pilots to capture some pretty unique chase footage and now I'm interested:

Comment

That is a nice little featurette. It does make me want to see it as the FPV drone stuff is really cool. I just know that Bay will have overcooked it though. He always does. I rewatched Bad Boys 2 not long ago and man is that a bad film.

Comment

Like that shot at 1:14 is amazing as the camera goes under a jumping police car, but I'm scared that it's not the final shot, that one is oversaturated and put through the shakeycam processor.

Comment

Yeah, there are lots of shots like that but your senses will have been dulled to a pulp long before you get to them. I honestly think it's another case of a big name director who in their later years lacks the presence of another voice on production strong enough to reign their worst excesses in. Like they feel that their success proves their skills but it's those earlier voices that made those prior hits the films they are just as much.

Comment

Still laid up with covid and that ended up with me watching Ghost Rider with Nic Cage. Absolute nonsense. Almost nothing made any sense. He goes places for no reason, csn become ghost rider then can't for no explainable reason. The story was written by an adolescent boy basically. I don't know about Johnny Blaze selling is soul but Eva Mendez must have; She hasn't aged in the last 15 years!

I might put the sequel on in a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X