Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard nothing but good things about that film. I really should see it.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post

I don't know what to make of Megalopolis. It's the passion project of an aged storied filmmaker that couldn't get finance from the usual channels. Loads of stories about the production sound like its all been a bit off the cuff. And it's apparently had about 400 re-writes! 400!!
      I know. It's going to be awesome

It sounds absolutely bonkers and I'm here for it personally. Even if it's a total mess, it will be a fascinating mess. It's been getting a mix of 1 stars and 5 stars from critics who've seen it at Cannes, which to makes it sound interesting as hell.

Originally posted by QualityChimp
      I've said elsewhere that I think it's criminal that there's no Oscar for stunts, but ones for Best Makeup & Hairstyling.
      Yeah, it's ridiculous. It's such a miss that they don't have one. Cruise should definitely have a couple.

Glad to hear you enjoyed The Fall Guy, I want to see that too - sounds like a really refreshing, fun blockbuster.

Comment

Watched INLAND EMPIRE last night. I love most of David Lynch's work. This might have been the most demanding. It's 3 hours long, very abstract and defo left me scratching my head. The dreamlike aproach leaves you with a dreamlike memory of it ... fragmented, memorable snapshots, not a lot of logic. But I don't think there was a proper script for this film, just a free flowing aproach and bits-and-pieces thrown in for good measure. The basic premise is an acress (played by Laura Dern) is making a film based on a previously uncompleted Polish film, abandoned when the leads were murdered. The film starts shooting and lines between what's real and what isn't start to blur ... like Perfect Blue but not. It has some wonderful moments but as a film it's hard to digest, even for a fanboy like me. It's more like something you might watch on a loop in a dark box in an art gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Recommended and I'm planning on watching it again with the missus when it starts streaming in about 5 minutes time.

I don't know if it's everywhere but yesterday there were rumbles that the streaming release of the film will have an added 20 minutes

Comment

Oh jesus really? As previously discussed this never adds anything of worth. Hopefully the theatrical cut will also be available.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post

I don't know if it's everywhere but yesterday there were rumbles that the streaming release of the film will have an added 20 minutes
              Yeah, I saw today that there's an extra 20 minutes.
              I'd probably be happier with a "making of" rather than elongate the film.
              Maybe put them in a "deleted scenes" featurette?

I knew it was coming, but I have a cinema pass and would rather see it on the big screen.

Comment

The thing with these scenes is that they're not gonna contain hilarious jokes or incredible action. Because they obviously put all of that stuff in the actual movie.

I agree that a making-of featurette or other material would be better. It's a shame that we don't get as much of that nowadays, we kinda took a step back in that regard.

The Phantom Menace making-of is still an absolute all-timer. You can see the disaster happening in real time. A classic.

Comment

I watched Starship Troopers for the very first time yesterday. While a good film and incredibly gory and has plenty of titties on show as to be expected with a Paul Verhoeven movie, what got me the most is how good a lot of the CG work was for a movie that came out in 1998! It really holds up well I'm most areas. More so than the film stock as it can look quite grainy in low lit scenes on BluRay.

Comment

I love Starship Troopers. Brilliant send-up of American jingoism. And it's also just great fun to watch.

It's really funny to read contemporary reviews of it and see how much many critics just didn't get it.

Comment

Recently got convinced into thinking that watching the Jujutsu Kaisen anime was a good idea, and as I was in bed most of Monday feeling sick, I finished up watching the first series of the show. I don’t think it’s great, but still I followed up with the prequel movie - Jujutsu Kaisen 0. Unfortunately I thought the story was even more shonen-by-the-numbers than the series, and despite being very clearly for existing fans of the show, it is also bogged down in awkwardly trying to explain basic concepts from it. It also never breaks the rhythm of the episodic format to make any use of the extended run time! Pass!

Also went to see The Beast at the cinema, which I remember seeing the trailer for and being fairly intrigued about. This enthusiasm did not last. It is about the two leads connecting as entirely different people across three different time periods, very loosely wrapped up in a sci-fi wrapper related to a fourth time period. It's jumpy and distorted and wants to string you along with minimal hand-holding, and I feel like these elements absolutely should've hooked me, and while I can point to moments I enjoyed (and performances - Lea Seydoux is fab!), it just came across as clumsy and under-developed.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Watched INLAND EMPIRE last night.
                      Similarly big Lynch lover, also felt pretty dumbstruck about it too. I saw it in the cinema with a friend who was quite visibly having a bad time throughout which did not help - it's definitely been long enough now, I really need to re-watch it!​

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                        Similarly big Lynch lover, also felt pretty dumbstruck about it too. I saw it in the cinema with a friend who was quite visibly having a bad time throughout which did not help - it's definitely been long enough now, I really need to re-watch it!​
                        oof, an unenthusiastic co-pilot wouldn’t have helped matters Be interested to hear your thoughts if you ever rewatch.

Comment

Godzilla x Kong

Utter garbage in every respect:

Fight scenes too fast.
                          Human characters awful, terrible lines, tried to be light hearted and funny but just done really badly.

Godzilla changed his beam from a pink one to a blue one. Why is never explained. "He's changed his power!" we are told.
                          A mini kong that is surely related to Jar Jar Binks
                          An ape antagonist with a roar that sounds like a Transformer transforming

Lame.

Ignore this and watch Godzilla Minus One instead.

Comment

Pretty sure that was explained, albeit in a lame way.

Comment

Well, explaining it wouldn't have saved the movie. Mainstream cinema is just dull these days. Luckily there is plenty of other stuff out there, just gotta find it.

Comment

Yeah, they did explain that. Totally saved the movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X