Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with that, some of the script was making my toes curl, I dont know what they were trying to do. Some fun stunts and not unenjoyable, 3/5.

Comment

I saw Transformers One, the new animated one. It’s got some laughs, many classic appearances and leads to a good ending.

Comment

Batman
        The kids enjoyed finally seeing this one, thankfully as it does have long stretches where it's a pretty quiet film

Batman Returns
        They did well here too, lost their interest a couple of times but mostly around the whole Pengun running for mayor bits

Kindergarten Cop
        They absolutely adored watching this, like Goonies there's that touch of rudeness to some of the humour without going too far which they love but they were into everything from the jokes to the villain

Kindergarten Cop 2
        We indulged them with this but dear god, why Dolph...why... ? Think of how bad you think it will be then double it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          Kindergarten Cop 2
          We indulged them with this but dear god, why Dolph...why... ? Think of how bad you think it will be then double it.
          I had no idea this even existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post

I had no idea this even existed.
            Same here. Now I'm going to have to check it out even though I know it is awful from Neon Ignition's comment.

Comment

Terminator: Salvation
              More of a slog than I remember this time around, the runt of the Terminator litter on this rewatch so far

Terminator: Genisys
              Flawed but still the more entertaining film, really would have been better to have a sequel to this than Dark Fate

Men in Black: International
              I remember it being worse so that's a positive, it really misses the mark on several fronts though

Comment

Another person clueless about KC2!

I went to the cinema to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey.
                It was great to see it on the big screen and it still looks so ahead of its time, rather than people walking around in flares or something.

It was hella loud, though! Properly winced at times! Covered my ears on the moon signal bit!

Still don't really know what's going on, but can't believe how much space the movie has to breath.
                Massive sections where chimps are chimping, floating in space and flicking switches. Modern movies would need to cut to the space car chase in the first 4 minutes.

BONUS:
                Check out this cover of the 2001 theme:
                Last edited by QualityChimp; 18-06-2024, 10:56.

Comment

If you like 2001, it's worth reading the book, which is more explicit about the story. The further books in the series are good too.

Comment

Yeah, I really should. I find hard sci-fi a bit daunting, preferring lighter stuff like Saturn Run, Project Hail Mary, Old Man's War and The Ember War Saga.

Got some other stuff to check out "To Sleep in a Sea of Stars", which clocks in at 32 hours long (most of my other books are about 10 hours!).

I've been trying to track down a cheap copy of 2010 to watch, but it's not streaming anywhere and seems relatively expensive for a vanilla DVD/Blu-Ray and I love a bargain.

Comment

Interesting. Yeah in novels and films I actually prefer hard sci-fi, cos I'm not really into fantasy or space opera type stuff (I suspend this for videogames, obviously, because the benefits of fantasy worlds and the gameplay opportunities they offer are so dramatic - e.g. I love TES).

I just really love how hard sci-fi fires my imagination about what might be genuinely possible with future technology.

There is a TV series and a film and stuff now that I haven't watched, but a very readable hard sci-fi to try is The Three Body Problem.

However one thing I would say about 2001 is that it's very short. You could probably slam through it on a long enough flight.

As I'm sure you know 2010 is a fraction of the film that 2001 is. It's not a bad watch but it's more Capricorn One than 'sacred masterpiece of sci-fi filmmaking'. Not always a bad thing, though!

It's kind of a shame that 2061: Odyssey Three and 3001: The Final Odyssey, the closer, were never made into films.
                      Last edited by wakka; 19-06-2024, 10:23.

Comment

Funnily enough, I have 3 Body Problem to listen to as I've heard the book works even better than the well-received Netflix show.

I also have queued up Robogenesis, We Are Legion, The Devil and the Dark Water, Aliens: Bishop and The Last Storm.

I might listen to all the Odyssey books if I enjoy the first one, but yeah it's a shame the others never got made into films, but 2001 is a bit of a sacred cow now.

Comment

Nice yeah, Three Body Problem is great.

In terms of 2001 being a sacred cow, I think deservedly so far to be fair. It's a unique work of art. There isn't anything actually remotely like it even today, sixty years on. And if you compare it to its contemporaries - I mean, at the top end you've got stuff like Planet of the Apes and the Time Machine that absolutely pale in comparison, and most of the rest of the sci-fi release during the decade was schlock that has dated terribly.

Rereading it I think your point is that that might have affected the chance of more sequels. Yeah I agree, it probably did. I mean it's a ridiculous act to have to follow lol.

Comment

Batman Forever
                            Moved the kids onto the next entry and as expected they held interest well. It's an obviously flawed entry but I didn't mind this one this time, remembering really struggling with it the last time I tried to watch it.

Comment

Watched Ocean’s Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen. First one’s great, second not so great, third somewhere between. Plenty of fun and escapism to be had … Soderberg in super slick mode, great cast and soundtracks … and what’s not to love about a good old fashioned caper (or three) 👍

Comment

Batman and Robin
                                Still easily the worst entry, the kids loved seeing 'Kindergarten Cop' again but though there are still elements that remain stronger than the newer films (Burtonesque Gotham will always be the vastly superior Gotham) most of the rest is a step down from Forever.

Doctor Strange
                                Long time since I've seen this one and we finally got the kids to sit for it, it's okay but still a very drawn out and rambling Iron Man retread.

Comment

Working...
                                X