This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civil War
    I enjoyed it, didn't need the greater context as Trump is enough to buy the scenario.

Ace Ventura
    The kids are on a Carrey run and had to skip a few bits that are either too rude or have aged a ton

Boy Kills World
    Good fun, the V/O really makes this

Comment

I listened to the commentary track on Invasion of the Bodysnatchers and it's really good, but surprising how cheap some of the effects were.
      The alien gloop at the start was $8 paste from a craft store!

Something I never noticed was that the noises of animals slowly disappears throughout the film until the final shot with barren trees.

Finally, the wonky camera angles they use to make the viewer feel unsettled are called "Dutch Angles".

Check out the Google description : https://www.google.com/search?q=dutch+angle

Comment

I watched Knock at the Cabin (NowTV) after enjoying the book it's based on (The Cabin at the End of the World) and it's directed by M. Night Shyamalan, whom I have a soft spot for.

It's actually pretty faithful to the book for the first 90% with a slightly different ending that's a bit less vague.
        Recommended if you like that kind of twisty-turny mystery with a hint to something supernatural... or is it?! :O

However, I think I messed up by reading the book first as it wasn't particularly tense because I knew roughly what was happening.

Great performances, especially Dave Bautista, Rupert Grint and Kristen Cui.

Comment

So yeah I guess I'm just watching movies with Rachel Sennott in this week. I watched Bottoms again. This film is so funny. I first saw this in a packed cinema and the whole room was rolling - it made me laugh just as much watching it on my own at home. I love the concept of two lesbian high schoolers who decide to start a fight club - or 'female empowerment self-defence class' - with the secret objective of banging cheerleaders. Such a great subversive teen comedy. It's included with Prime subscriptions now.

Comment

The ending of that film is amazing.

Comment

It's so good

I like how it's funny all the way through. So many feature length comedies fall foul of an urgent need to make the third act full of plot and cut the joke-per-minute ratio to shreds as a result.

Comment

I think I heard it was poor, but maybe I'm conflating it with that one with "No Hard Feelings"?
                I'll give it a go!

I watched A Quiet Place: Day One, which was pretty decent.
                So, it feels like it cribs from a lot of other apocalypse dramas like 28 Days Later, War of the Worlds, The Last of Us and so on, but I like those films, so I guess it's my kind of film.

The cat was ridiculously quiet, though.

Pretty solid story that worked by being pretty simplistic and took the viewer on the lead character's journey with them.
                I thought AQP2 was poorer than most people - a rehash of the first film with eye-rolling movie tropes, so I thought this prequel was a better film. IMHO, obvs.

Comment

Inside Out 2
                  It was fine, by and large a retread of the first film. Some of the concepts were well done, some were a huge stretch which the film slightly acknowledges at one stage. It's a film that's very much 'more', easy then to see why it's done so well as for those who love the first this is a safe bet.

A Quiet Place: Day One
                  Quinn remains just as likeable in this as he was in Stranger Things, it was a solid watch and I was never hugely won over by the original. Similar to IO2 in that it doesn't leave you feeling a desire to see it twice but till surprisingly good. They can get lost with the cat though, just throw it as a distraction

Comment

I like cats, but that thing would've been hurled across NYC if it would get the lurkers off my back!

Took me ages to realise where I knew the guy from before I realised he's the Master of Puppets kid.

Comment

Working...
                    X