X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hollywood Hot Wheels: Round 03

WELCOME TO:

HOLLYWOOD HOT WHEELS: ROUND 03

The third lap on our race through the history of the industries most recognisable vehicles covering all manners of iconic designs from film, tv and gaming, their history and what you think of them.

Each round will see three vehicles lined up for the showcase. Unlike the voting conducted in the other threads, here things are more cutthroat.

You each can only vote for a single design in each round, casting the other two to the scrapheap of Hollywood history.
    Make your choice then tell us why you like or don't like each vehicle and why you voted for the one you did.

VEHICLE 007 - USS Voyager

A ship that would be one of the most enduring in Starfleet, it survived seven years lost in the Delta Quadrant alone against multiple threats including the Borg. Within the canon the ship was decommissioned once it arrived back at Earth due to the excessive strains and damage it had endured in its journey and was placed in the Fleet Museum, legendary amongst Starfleet.

Is the USS Voyager one of the greatest designs that excites you?

VEHICLE 008 - Stingray

WASP's most advanced submarine, the vessel took to the waters in the 2060's and is armed with Sting missiles as well as the ability to leap out of the water. To make the show, four models were produced ranging from 3 feet in size to 6 inches.

Your choice or a fish out of water?

VEHICLE 009 - Street Hawk

An injured cop, Jesse Mach is hired by a secret organisation to ride Street Hawk - a hi-tech motorbike capable of speeds up to 300mph. Based on a 1983 Honda XL500 trail bike, multiple were made to ensure at least six were on hand at any one time but with the show only lasting fourteen episodes they weren't too numerous. Only the fate of one motorbike is known, having been housed in a UK movie car showroom until its closure and is now believed to be in the hands of a private collector.

Are two wheels better than none?

Which is the ultimate Hollywood Hot Wheel?
    USS Voyager
    0%
    Stingray
    0%
    Street Hawk
    0%

As a kid I would have went with Street Hawk but looking at it now, it's a very plain looking bike. Stingray on the other hand has always been cool

Comment

I've gone Voyager. I understand it's not everyone's favourite ST series but in terms of design I've long maintained that the ship itself remains one of the very best across the entire franchise.

Comment

I’m a sucker for the vehicles in Gerry Anderson stuff … Stingray for me

Comment

Stingray for sure.

Though I might change my mind in theory minutes.

After all, anything can happen in the next half hour.

Comment

Stingray carries puppets

Voyager carries Seven of Nine

Just saying...

Comment

So, Street Hawk is pretty cool, but even as a kid, it smacked of copying Knight Rider or Airwolf, but with a bike.
              Can't deny it had some sweet tricks and looks, but it's pretty forgettable and doesn't have a memorable theme tune.

However, it was at both Keswick's Cars of the Stars and now Orlando's Dezerland.
              It was pretty odd just milling around and seeing this bike just stood there that I'd seen loads on TV.

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              Stingray carries puppets

Voyager carries Seven of Nine

Just saying...
              I mean, she's lovely and all, but in a whole universe, they choose the only woman who is half-Borg?
              She's going to remember everything you did wrong.
              "Like that time back in Stardate 54912.4 when Lieutenant Torres has restored our warp drive in less than a week after you spilt coffee on the control panel?"

Also, if she was as beguiling as you claim, the closing credits would be an ode to her mysterious beauty, like Marina, aqua Marina.

As for the ship. No.
              Firstly it's just a swooshier Enterprise, so it's not that unique.
              Second, it's all CGI. I'd rather watch Street Hawk do a backflip over Christopher Lloyd any day.

However, my vote is going to be for Stingray.
              Same as everyone else, Gerry Anderson was an auteur.
              Generations of kids and moviemakers have been wowed by the designs of him and his team.

For example, Derek Meddings was a designer for Gerry Anderson and he created these ships for Fireball XL5 in the episode "Invasion Earth":

Those ships bear a certain resemblance to the redesigned Starship Enterprise proposed by Ken Adam and Ralph McQuarrie for a planned Star Trek movie, Planet of the Titans, which apparently helped to inspire the design of the Starship Discovery.

Derek Meddings, well known for his work on many Gerry Anderson production, was going to be the Miniature Effects Supervisor on the planned Star Trek: Planet of the Titans film, which was to have been the first motion picture based on Star Trek: The Original Series. The project was one of several early attempts to bring Star Trek back after the series had been cancelled, but the plan was abandoned in 1976.

Let's face it, a whole city folding itself up to launch a submarine is preeeetty sweet.

On a side note, does anyone else remember when Alton Towers had an exhibition in Talbot Street (near the cable car station, now blocked off) called "Space 1999" that had a bunch of Gerry Anderson show props?

Comment

Oh wow, I remember that building but never went in. No, it is as a dash to the logflume back them.
                Wish I had done now.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  Oh wow, I remember that building but never went in. No, it is as a dash to the logflume back them.
                  Wish I had done now.
                  Honestly, it was amazing. I'm pretty sure they had the FAB 1 model there too.

I used to love that area, a little off the beaten track, so a little quieter than the areas packed with the big rides.

There was a walk-through haunted house called Doom and Sons that was based in a funeral parlour.

There was a spooky organist and various unsettling sights, but the best was at the exit where there was a door marked to look like it was staff only and if someone curious were to open it, then a body would fall towards them accompanied by a big scream.
                  It usually scared the hell out of people!

Comment

Oh man, as a kid it was all about the rides. I missed so much in Talbot Street. The only thing I did do was piss about with the jumping water streams. Remember those?

Comment

Ha ha ha, yeah! Those frog fountains near the entrance?

Comment

Working...
                      X