No announcement yet.

Official F1/Motorsport thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good interview with Alonso in the Metro today, basically saying he will do everything he can to help Massa win the title if it means Hamilton won't.

And this quote on Hamilton's penalty in Japan "I don't know what he did, but it's good he's punished anyway" obviously time isn't a healer in their case.
    Last edited by VR46; 14-10-2008, 19:17. Reason: typotastic

Comment

I'd love to see Hamilton, Massa & Alonso all take each other out on the first corner, paving the way for Kubica to move within 2 points of the lead.

But I can only dream...

Comment

Yeah I'd read a couple of articles about what Alonso's been saying post-Japan; very strange. Considering how well he's going at Renault just now, I can't imagine him moving over for anyone, and it's not like Massa and him haven't had their differences in the past.

Why did Alonso try to tell us for 18 months that his beef was with McLaren, not Hamilton, then come out with trash talk like "it's good he's punished anyway"?

I was really happy to see Fernando taking the Renault home 1st in the last 2 races and was much more impressed with his attitude this year than the crybaby he was last season, but these sort of comments really aren't doing him any favours.

Comment

I just think Hamilton intentionally tried to take a Ferrari out on first corner as he was so far ahead in points due to his bad start. Massa deserved his as well though but again did Hamilton need to do that when he was coming into the pits anyway with bald tyres why take the risk of taking yourself out let alone anyone else or was that the whole point to take Massa out cas he had to come in. He got lucky and got thru though.

Comment

I cannot seriously believe anyone would try and take another driver out on a first corner of race when there are 18 other cars trying to get round the same piece of track.

Comment

Schumacher did and a number of others have done/tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzyman View Post
                I just think Hamilton intentionally tried to take a Ferrari out on first corner as he was so far ahead in points due to his bad start. Massa deserved his as well though but again did Hamilton need to do that when he was coming into the pits anyway with bald tyres why take the risk of taking yourself out let alone anyone else or was that the whole point to take Massa out cas he had to come in. He got lucky and got thru though.
                Do you live in an alternate universe or something? It was Massa that drove into Hamilton; how does that equate to Hamilton trying to take Massa out? And as for the first corner incident, it was Raikkonen he was alongside; how would taking out Raikkonen help his championship chances? He had a huge lock-up; that wasn't intentional.

Comment

So, are McLaren more interested in Hamilton being WDC or the team being the Winning Constructor this year ? remember in rallying Loeb virtually had to give away the 2004 (?) Championship to drive sensibly in the final race so Citroen took the Manufacturers crown.

Comment

I wondered the same thing, but judging by one of the brief interviews with Ron Dennis on ITV, I'd say he seems personally more interested in Hamilton taking the WDC.

To be honest, I think with both championships as close as they are, both the McLaren and Ferrari drivers will need to be as competitive as possible if they want to win either.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss View Post
                      Schumacher did and a number of others have done/tried it.
                      I know Schumacher went into the back of Hill and into the side of Villenueve, but they were one on one incidents. I can't remember anyone doing it at the first corner of a race.

Comment

Wasn't there a Senna/Prost incident on the first corner of a first lap that looked pretty intentional ?

Comment

That happened 2 years in a row I believe, both of them winning a championship apiece because of it.

Comment

Yep, Prost turning into Senna at Suzuka 1989 on the last corner, the chicane. Mildly controversial (it could be argued that Prost was taking the corner as normal), but not as much as Suzuka 1990, Senna deliberately taking the first corner flat out and taking both Prost and himself out of the race after believing it justified because the side of the track pole position was on was changed before the race.

Major moments in F1 history, those were the days.

Below is the 1990 incident. Tsk tsk.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                            Last edited by Senna; 14-10-2008, 21:55.

Comment

Mclaren haven't won a WCC since '98 so would be crazy to throw it away, but the WDC is more important in terms of marketing as they can pimp Lewis to high heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddie View Post
                                Do you live in an alternate universe or something? It was Massa that drove into Hamilton; how does that equate to Hamilton trying to take Massa out? And as for the first corner incident, it was Raikkonen he was alongside; how would taking out Raikkonen help his championship chances? He had a huge lock-up; that wasn't intentional.
                                Nope I dont He got thru just if you go back a couple of years when they where less sensitive about ovetaking they would have called it a racing incident as Massa had his front tyres still pointing past his back end. He got a penalty because 4wheels went over the chicane not because he hit him watch a slowmo replay of it theirs not much in it going into the chicane and theirs very little room for two cars to pass their if both cars are alongside each other by when theirs a corner by a part its a racing incident doesnt matter who you are we have seen that from all drivers. On the incar cam of Massa you can see how close they are his front tryres never get any futher behind than the back 3rd of Hamiltons car so thats just a racing incident. Massa deserved it and got the penalty for cutting the chicane into that section.

Hamilton did a do or die move to get thru he had bald tyres and had to come into the pits he knew this he didnt need to make such a risky manouver he lost points for a stupid manouver and he knew after his stop he would be at the back of the grid so whats he got to loose to try and take Massa out. Also he had nowhere to go on the start at that speed he knew the corner was coming up he forced his own team mate to make a defensive manouver and then had to go full lock as he was going too fast. He had nowhere to go so he intentionally forced another car off the track by doing this and and if you want to add ontop gained and adavantage from doing this by driving off the track.
                                You can see all the footage of the incidents here including more incar camera

Don't miss a Formula 1 moment – with the latest news, videos, standings and results. Go behind the scenes and get analysis straight from the paddock.

Its happened loads in the past with taking drivers out for championship. Senna did it and so did Schummy both twice. Schummy even got stripped of his points the second time around and sent on a driving course.
                                Last edited by Guest; 15-10-2008, 13:12.

Comment

Working...
                                X