Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've cut down on the coke recently by buying healthfood cordials (eg. elderflower) - buy one of those 2 litre bottles of water in the morning and add a drop of cordial to it to make it more interesting. I'm drinking way more water as a result.

Until the summer I was swimming quite frequently as the pool was on the way home - I find 2k to be a good distance although it was always too busy for me to attempt to do that all in crawl. I reckon I could, given practice.
    But since I moved the only exercise I have is walking to and from work (20 mins). Hmmm.

Marcus... you mentioned badminton. I would be up for that with a group of like-minded people in the London area. Used to play quite a lot and it's my favourite of that type of sport (can't really be arsed with squash). I like the finesse it requires.

Any badminton players in London?

Comment

Originally posted by: marcus
      Dietwise Ive cut down on fatty foods, the most notable change is now Im almost completely off full fat cola, I used to drink lots of the stuff but now I only ever have diet coke. Its not ideal I know but its better than before, plus I also like the variety such as the lemon, lime and vanilla ones. I do miss my fave though, cherry coke.
      It's not really good for you (if 'the experts' are to be believed), but a nice cup of tea is ****ing great (you probably know this already, like), experiment with the tea man, it's more fun than it sounds.

As for soft drinks, apart from tea and water, I don't touch them. In my book, Coke is the ruin of a good whisky. I'll let tonic water go though, because a nice Gin & Tonic is, well, nice.

Keep up with the rowing, but get lifting the weights and doing those crunches.

You want aerobic and anaerobic exercise for the full effect. I can't talk myself, because I've laid off the exercise and piled on about two stones in the last six months.

Im about the weight '12 stones' I was at that Reading meet if you recall), but after three months off the booze (and doing the exercise) I'll burn that fat of my, erm, fat face and be back to 10 stones, I don't like that "hungry head/bangoism" that is in evidence in that Reading meet photo.

I know it's a vanity thing and all, but if you get that six pack showing it does feel rather good, makes you feel like a "real man" and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Il Postino
        It's not really good for you (if 'the experts' are to be believed), but a nice cup of tea is ****ing great (you probably know this already, like), experiment with the tea man, it's more fun than it sounds.

As for soft drinks, apart from tea and water, I don't touch them. In my book, Coke is the ruin of a good whisky. I'll let tonic water go though, because a nice Gin & Tonic is, well, nice.

Keep up with the rowing, but get lifting the weights and doing those crunches.

You want aerobic and anaerobic exercise for the full effect. I can't talk myself, because I've laid off the exercise and piled on about two stones in the last six months.

Im about the weight '12 stones' I was at that Reading meet if you recall), but after three months off the booze (and doing the exercise) I'll burn that fat of my, erm, fat face and be back to 10 stones, I don't like that "hungry head/bangoism" that is in evidence in that Reading meet photo.

I know it's a vanity thing and all, but if you get that six pack showing it does feel rather good, makes you feel like a "real man" and all.
        Heh Im not at the 6-pack stage yet, but my stomach muscles do feel tighter, everyone has a 6-pack its just however much fat is covering it thats the problem

Yeh I love tea, but bog standard tea with milk+sugar, Ive tried a few Twinings (the mint and the 'pink coloured' one) and think they are gross :/

Im pretty much happy with everything apart from wanting to lose a little weight around my hips, and to continue with the stomach exercises to tighten those muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by Nijo
          I've cut down on the coke recently by buying healthfood cordials (eg. elderflower) - buy one of those 2 litre bottles of water in the morning and add a drop of cordial to it to make it more interesting. I'm drinking way more water as a result.

Until the summer I was swimming quite frequently as the pool was on the way home - I find 2k to be a good distance although it was always too busy for me to attempt to do that all in crawl. I reckon I could, given practice.
          But since I moved the only exercise I have is walking to and from work (20 mins). Hmmm.

Marcus... you mentioned badminton. I would be up for that with a group of like-minded people in the London area. Used to play quite a lot and it's my favourite of that type of sport (can't really be arsed with squash). I like the finesse it requires.

Any badminton players in London?
          I live in Watford if its anywhere near you, if so shout me and Im sure we could arrange a game.

Comment

What Dr Il Postino said - the only non-alcoholic drinks I'll touch these days are water or tea. Black tea is supposed to be really good for you; it tastes like crap to start with but its full of goodness.

About 2 years ago I lost about 2 stone in 8/9 months. I bought an exercise bike which I used 4 or 5 times a week for around 30mins per session and just basically cut down on my calorie consumption.

Having little or no willpower, I found it hard not being able to eat things like cakes, crisps, chocolate etc. but the end results were definitely worth the sacrifices. Plus it made me realise that I didn't actually need to eat such crappy food and was much better off eating a piece of fruit.

Comment

Was under 14st before Xmas, after it and Im floating around 14.1 to 14.2. Hit the gym yesterday for 45 mins at lunch, and it was a killer starting again after no exercise during the festive period. They say that each week of no exercise is the equivelant of 3 weeks of training lost, so Im gona play badminton on Sat, football on Sunday and hopefully get another run in this week also. Aiming for 13st 6lb. Going to cut down on the nice stuff seeing as Im getting towards the end of my Xmas stash of snacks.

Comment

reading all this thread has persuaded me to get up early tomorrow (that'll be easy, I have a week old son now!) and go to the Gym before work.

I was around 15 st about 2 yrs ago, and dropped to just under 12 1/2 st, regular gym, good healthy eating, active etc. but over the last year it's slipped back to around the 14 st mark, so I need to stop making excuses and get on with it. I'm 31 and about 5' 11". I desperately want to start kickboxing again, as I haven't been for about 4 months.

it's tough sometimes cos of my job. I run a company, so am at a desk all day, then quite often have work to take home, which can screw a routine up. The wife doesn't help either.

Better time management is also something I must learn this year.

here's to it. thanks guys.

Comment

Never realised this thread existed! Staying in shape and being physical is part of my life so i've never found it difficult to stick to resolutions. Best of luck to you guys though!

Feel free to drop me a pm also if you need advice, i'm practically a personal trainer these days

Comment

I haven't been up the gym since the 27th November and I am going up tomorrow afternoon to make a fool of myself.

It has been too long now...

Comment

Well, it's beeen about a year since I posted on this thread and f**k all has changed.

I've gone from 13.7 stone to just over 14 stone. I'm currently at 14.2, although this is down to the huge amount of boozing over Xmas.

During this week, I have not smoked and had just 2 beers on Monday. I'm definitely stopping smoking - 4 days so far. And also want to get back in moderate shape.

Haven't been to the gym since 23rd December, but will probably go tonight or tomorrow night.

It would be nice to hit 13.7 again before February. Quite a realistic target I hope, as I'm getting a doggy in 2 days time which should keep me on the straight and narrow.

Comment

Got back into the gym Tuesday and Wednesday lunch but got a meeting today. It will not stop me though!!! Have 4 months to pump up for the honeymoon

I have to stop drinking Pepsi and Coke. Get through too much of that. I went November without touching the stuff after going to the dental hygenist and my teeth were white. Got back on it in December and they are a typical shade of yellow once more. However much I love it it has to go. Fruit juice, water and green or peppermint tea for me (normal tea sucks arse).

Comment

I'm going back to the gym myself, trying to make time for it 3 times a week.

Currently 6ft3 and 18 Stone, my recconded weight really is about 15 stone, since I'm built like a brick **** house anyway.

At least the IRN BRU is replaced with Sugar Free cordial (for the sake of my teeth too!), just need to replace biscuits/crisps with rice crackers (yum).

January is like national diet month init?

Comment

went back the gym yesterday night, man it was hard trying to do my old routine again, so i decided to ease back into it, no point injuring myself to fill my foolish pride. Last time i went was last week. Xmas always eats into my workout time. For the past month ive been to a few classes and i must say they are a lot more challenging as you have to keep up with everyone. Boxercise was a nighmare, i felf so sick through it all, need to keep breathing right. Another class i tried was boddy pump, and then moved onto circuit training. Man these are all tough classes! Im so enbarrassed cos these real hot girls were out performing me big time!

Tell you what though you meet more hot girls in classes than in the normal cardio/weights rooms! Damn, in the months ahead ima try and do a few more of these classes and try an bag a few more of these hot pieces!

Comment

Well I cycle everywhere, and have done for 2 years. I commute about 125 miles per week, and also go for additional rides in summer. Absolutely love it - I'm fit, and I've lost 3 stone since I started. However, I was knocked off by a car yesterday - pulled out on me. I have lacerations, possible fractured ribs and toe, the possibility of needing a skin graft to the hole in my head. I have no knuckes left on my left hand, and I'm missing skin everywhere. In short - ouch. It won't stop me riding though (when I've recovered, obviously).

Can anyone host some pics of my injuries for me? I don't know how to do it.

Oh, and for all you cyclists out there - please wear a helmet. It's scary seeing how much shock mine absorbed - it's about 1/4 the thickness where my head hit the road compared to the other side.
                              Last edited by Jashin; 05-01-2006, 09:53.

Comment

damn jashin, poor you! hope yah feel better soon, that sounds like one major ouch! Did the guy who hit you say sorry?

Comment

Working...
                                X