This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by recipher View Post
    Another way to get motivated is to check out the number of middle-aged men with massive guts, that have obviously let themselves go. Not me. Never.
    Tell me about it. The majority of my colleagues are, shall we say, well rounded. I'm some way off that I'm glad to say and have no intention of getting back to being like that (I used to be myself).

I've basically got about a half stone to a stone to lose. Not a bulge!! Still - I know where the flabby belly leads to....

Comment

worked out that I do 2.6 miles of running a day, yesterday was a landmark as I ran all the way there and back with only a 30 sec stop to sort out music, granted the pace isn't amazing but i did it around 35 mins which considering I've only been running for under a month isn't too bad.

I'm starting to extend it to maybe 3 miles soon, as i wasn't as tired or out of breath

Comment

Went to the Gym last night and I can really feel that extra stone I put on over Xmas - jesus its like I've got a fat suit on Nothing more motivating than trying to run and having everything bouncing up and down in front of you >_<

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar View Post
          Maybe if the distance was shorter I would have tried it on but as it is, 23 miles, I didn't fancy my chances.
          Very wise. Sometimes I get bone cold when I'm cycling and being the same as you (lean, I like to call it) means that getting cold is easy and getting warm again is less so.

You don't want to make yourself ill. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar View Post
            170lb chest press which isn't so bad until you think in kg There's muscle growth (or maybe fat loss, possibly both) on my back/shoulders that I hadn't noticed before. Someone asked what I was doing when I'm just a skinny f**k.
            When I've seen some friends I haven't seen for a while they've noticed how much broader my shoulders/neck/chest have become. Makes me really feel good because I was 10st (at 5'11" just on the verge of underweight) and now I'm around 11.5 and feel a lot better for it.

Comment

I lost a couple of stone before Christmas going to the gym 3 times a week and cutting out booze and junk but put one back on thanks to the festivities and haven't been in about 2 months. Feeling serious guilt right now but work is making it difficult to go. Will try to get back into it now.

Comment

funny what exercise can do, I was shattered last night when I got back from work, literally almost falling asleep.

I didn't want to go for a run but i did anyway and extended my run to 2.8 miles in total without stopping and felt really good after wards

couldn't sit down as my thighs hurt but still...

should be up to 3 miles a day next week I think

Comment

Went to the gym on Monday and did some weights. The pain has only just subsided today.

Am going again on Saturday for more of the same.

Giving up booze for Lent this year.

I tried it 2 years ago where I gave up beer for Lent. But then I just drank nothing but wine for 40 days. Bit of a cheat really.

This time it's serious!

Comment

Didn't make it to the gym last night so gonna go tonight instead of hitting the pub - my chest and legs still hurt from Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by oracle View Post
                      funny what exercise can do, I was shattered last night when I got back from work, literally almost falling asleep. I didn't want to go for a run but i did anyway and extended my run to 2.8 miles in total without stopping and felt really good after wards couldn't sit down as my thighs hurt but still...should be up to 3 miles a day next week I think
                      Well done those are the best sessions, I did 14 hill reps last night 20 min warm up .3mile up in 1.55 then down etc etc 20 min warm down. Like you I was knackered before and fell asleep on the bus on way home! I would never have done it on my own but feel OK today and am actually looking forward to a nice easy 1hr recovery session tonight yipee!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
                        If you looking for muscle, aim for around 4-5l of water a day.
                        Man that's a lot of water. Perhaps only if you're on supplements (I'm thinking Creatine here). Speaking of which, what do you recommend these days? I was asked, I don't know (and don't take it personally but someone thought I did with the extra 'muscle' I have, hmm). I told him to check monster and get reflex creatine monohydrate, 500g.

Got some over-shoes and some new trainers today, I ain't letting the cold stop me (assuming it's going to be cold again like) this time. Going to wear an extra shirt, weather proof over-trouser and my over-shoes for extreme protection I entered London to Brighton today too.

I hit circuits today, showed some n00bs how to do some proper ****, sweat buckloads (I had a complaint ). One legged wall-squats, 'plank' and some double-jump skipping for a minute during one circuit. Yeah.

Comment

I'd say 4-5l regardless of creatine or not. The staple for bodybuilding is 1 gallon which is around 4.54L or something?

Creatine - well every packet says 20g a day for the first 5 days, a "loading" phase, then 5g a day after that. Current research suggests otherwise, as does my own experience. Measuring creatine plasma levels or something like that, the best way would seem to be 3*3g a day, every day. No loading phase, just a nice steady 10g (well 9g with 3*3 but you get the idea) every day split over 3 meals. Have at the same time as simple carbs, ideally 10g of simple carbs per 1g creatine to help transport it in to the blood and muscles - some people, not many so don't get put off, can't digest creatine, it sits in the pancreas, absorbs fluid, and then they do explosive farts! Happened to a right wanker I used to work with

So to conclude, 3 times per day, have a level teaspoon of creatine (3g or so) with a sweet juice drink (orange juice, whatever you fancy). Ideally morning, an hour or two before workout, and afterwards.

Take if for 1-2 months max, then take a month off. Restart

Great stuff! Stay away from creatine ethyl ester.

Comment

Ah yeah, I used to get a bloated feeling and just feel ill so I've not tried it again. He asked about it and told him to have it with say, an apple before workout and just follow the directions on the box/bottle or whatever. I told him to check though (told him my experience) but he probably won't. Best you try these things and **** it up for yourself

Comment

Because I'm trying to juggle having a life and working for the next couple of weeks I can only go to the gym every other day - that's alright as I'm doing weights/cv on alternate days and, to be honest, I need to run outside and the cycling/rowing probably isn't doing a lot (it's only the running I want to focus on anyhow...). However, I can probably do cv on a gym day anyway, I do 2 miles on the rower so it doesn't take *forever* and the cycling is 15 min at a fairly high intensity...

Anyway, onto my question. I want to go running in the morning before work, probably at 6.30. Now I was just wondering about food etc. If I eat right before I go running I'll feel like ****, right? But won't I get tired easily if I haven't eaten before I go running? I have to leave for work at 7.30.

Comment

I always run first thing on an empty stomach, only time I don't is when doing a long run, when I'll normally take an energy gel/drink with me to have as I run.

For the length of run you'll be doing, you shouldn't have any problems running, just make sure you refuel when you finish.

Comment

Working...
                                X