No announcement yet.

Motorbikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and im the complete opposite 2 finger clutch action but 4 finger brake coverage

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
      What are the Pazzo leavers like to use? I've had reports of the clutch being too short and some people not being able to adjust to 2 finger rather than 4 finger clutch action.
      I get on fine with them and am a four finger clutch man, although this was a concern of mine so I e-mailed Pazzo about the length of their levers before I bought a set and they said the long ones are 0.5 inches shorter than OEM and the short ones are 1.25 inches shorter than their long ones. I make that about 6.25 inches in length for Pazzo's shorties compared to the 2004 R1 OEM levers. Upon measuring it up I could tell the short ones would suit my needs.

I can still get four fingers around the clutch and continue to use four fingers because it feels more comfortable than two.

I used to use my last three fingers for braking but now find myself using one or two most of the time.

I thought about aftermarket levers when I first got the R1 because I found the stock clutch position uncomfortable but the extra cost at the time put me off. While I was doing the other mods though I thought it was a good time to change the levers as well and I don't regret the expense one bit, in fact they are much more comfortable and easier to use, less leverage, and now I can adjust the position of both levers. I should have changed them sooner.

If/when I change my bike Pazzo shorties will possibly be the first purchase, unless these ones happen to fit the next bike of course.

Comment

And i'm a 3 and 3!

Be boring if we were all the same.

Comment

Funny this should come up: I'm going to replace my lever soon too. One good thing about the EX250 over here (the US) is that it's really popular - not just with beginners, but also with more experienced riders who want a small-and-fun bike to complement their Hayabusas* or etc. And obviously it's a very popular 250cc track bike. So, there are loads and loads of cool aftermarket bits and bobs readily available.

So... the two mods I'm doing to that bike as soon as I get my next pay packet are to replace the front brake lever with a short two-finger jobbie, and to replace the centrestand (the Ninja 250 is extremely 'leanable' in the twisties, and the stand tends to scrape a touch too easily). Probably after that I'll get a better windscreen for when I'm on the motorway.

* - I've never been more than a one-bike man before now, but I must admit, if I did get another bike in the immediate future it'd probably be a 'busa... Then I'd have one for relatively safe fun around corners, and one for going REALLY FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE

Edited to remove the bollocks about the pegs being the problem round tight corners - I wasn't thinking when I typed that!
          Last edited by Eps; 02-08-2007, 02:51.

Comment

Thanks for all the info MJ, I bet they cost lots.

Tried the 2 finger clutch thing on the way in to work today but didn't like it as the lever get trapping my remaining two fingers. Think I could manage with a shorter leaver if I had one but not sure I need one.

Psi, does everyone in the states have a Busa? They must shell shed loads of the things.
            Last edited by Alastair; 01-08-2007, 09:34.

Comment

Why don't you just get a GSXR1000? Faster in a straight line than a Busa and goes around corners properly.

Comment

There's an '07 'Busa in my work car park, had a proper look at it the other day. TBH it seemed very dated and quite similar to a two wheeled Jabba the Hut. The clocks were all analogue still (except maybe the odo) and were also plain black with white numbers. It really didn't look very modern.

Seat seamed 'very' low also, I've never even sat on one let alone had a go but I can't imagine them being a pleasure to ride.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  Why don't you just get a GSXR1000? Faster in a straight line than a Busa and goes around corners properly.
                  Well, if I was being serious and not just half-jokingly speculating - sure, I'd definitely get the Gixxer. But I can't see it happening in the near future; I'm a big fan of smaller bikes (and cars; my favourite car of all time would be a nice race-tuned original Mini Cooper ). There are loads of people over here with 'Busas though. I think it's that whole American "only top speed in a straight line is important" thing. See also: most American muscle cars, cool as they are.

Oh, and there was a maddening little incident today with a fine example of the Common American Squid. It's almost time for the college kids to start again, so there are a load of squids who just got their "M" endorsement and right away spent Mommy and Daddy's money on some absurdly over-powered bike. Today's example: Kid on (ironically enough) a GSX-R 1000. Gear: helmet, er.. punk band T-shirt, big baggy 'skater' jeans, pair of Converse. No gloves, of course. Anyway, he was having a great time weaving around the lane, standing up, taking his hands off the bars, cutting very dangerously in front of cars, giving car drivers **** and generally being a total wanker. Until we got to a light and the following exchange happened, which I repeat verbatim with apologies in advance for my temper:

Me: Hey! Hey, you!
                  Him: Uh, yeah?
                  Me: There's something wrong with your bike, mate.
                  Him: Oh, ****, really?
                  Me: Yeah - you're f****** riding it!!! Get on an MSF* course, learn to ride, get a smaller bike and stop being such a f****** squid!!
                  Him: *shock*

* - MSF = Motorcycle Safety Foundation, the American basic riders' course.
                  Last edited by Eps; 02-08-2007, 02:50.

Comment

So, what's an "M" endorsement then, is that like a learner plate provisional type thing?

I remember Jasper Carrot talking about endorsements when he was in America. Got stop by the cops, showed his UK license.

"Hey you're a pretty good driver - you've got three endorsements here .."

Comment

I wish - it'd keep those dickheads off the road! There's no provisional motorcycle thing here: either you have an "M" ("Motorcycle") endorsement on your driver's license, or you haven't. No displacement or horsepower restrictions: you're licensed or you're not. To get licensed you take the MSF course (good), or you take a few lessons from your dad's uncle's cousin and somehow get through the stand-alone bike test (bad). Thankfully, passing the MSF course will be compulsory in this state as of next year.
                      Last edited by Eps; 02-08-2007, 21:21.

Comment

WSBK was ace, the 600's kept crashing!

The crowds favourite:

POW - the money shot!

If you click it takes you to my flickr where you can see two others.

Comment

I really hope Toseland wins WSBK this year and am looking forward to seeing how he gets on in MotoGP next year, but am really curious to know what made him turn down d'Antin Ducati with Bridgestones and Gresini Honda with Bridgestones for Tech 3 Yamaha who are not running Dunlop next year and most likely Michelin.

Comment

nice R1 you've got there MJ ! I like how you "pimped" it, nothing to flashy, it looks like a stock machine , but the bikers see the stuff you've put on it ! great stuff !

This week I'm gonna test drive a new Aprillia Factory R and an new Fireblade, I'm still not 100% sure which of these 2 I'm gonna buy next year, for 90% my mind is made up, it has to be the Fireblade.... but I need to have tried the Aprillia to be sure of my decision...

Comment

bagsy pillion...

Comment

Originally posted by TheForce View Post
                                nice R1 you've got there MJ ! I like how you "pimped" it, nothing to flashy, it looks like a stock machine , but the bikers see the stuff you've put on it ! great stuff !

This week I'm gonna test drive a new Aprillia Factory R and an new Fireblade, I'm still not 100% sure which of these 2 I'm gonna buy next year, for 90% my mind is made up, it has to be the Fireblade.... but I need to have tried the Aprillia to be sure of my decision...
                                Thanks!

I never hear a bad thing about the Fireblade and have heard the next one is supposed to be very good. They're well built, reliable and easy to maintain.

Comment

Working...
                                X