No announcement yet.

Motorbikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, thanks guys. I will get some test drives in, just to try them out, but definately liking the sound of an SV.

Comment

Originally posted by Zatoichi_Samurai View Post
      Cool, thanks guys. I will get some test drives in, just to try them out, but definately liking the sound of an SV.
      The SV gets my vote too and is highly regarded as a great fun bike to ride and indeed a great first bike. Out of interest what did you learn on?

Comment

Congrats. Some people tried to point me in the direction of a IL4 for a first bike and even said the SV was rubbish. I went for the SV though, had it 11 months now, and am still really enjoying it.

All the guys say above is true, engine braking takes a bit of getting used to, but it is great that you can open it up from 2k revs in second and still be faster than most cars, all the real power is up around 7.5k+ but there is plenty there for a newbie.

My criteria was a bike that handled well, went well enough for a new rider but wasn't too lethal and was fun, all boxes are well and truly ticked by the SV. I have a '03 (K3/pointy) fully faired by the way.

One last thing, good luck with the test rides. No dealer would let me near a bike until I'd had a full licence at least a year. In the end I had to buy the bike and had a deal that I could bring it back for a full refund within 2 hours if I wasn't happy (expensive test ride!), luckily I was

Comment

If you try it and think you might prefer a 4, then most of the manufacturers do a sports tourer of some sort. My first bike was a Kawasaki ZZR600 which had an amazingly comfy seat, was quite heavy (but easy to ride in the rain) and tyres were cheap. It scared me witless on day 1. And day 10. etc. Or CB500s are great or bandit 6s (but insurance is still pretty high on those).

Comment

Anyone had any experience with Yamaha YZF R1 5JJ engines? Around 2000 on carbs?

Comment

Nope. What do you want it for? I would have thought all 1L engines were bomb proof. It's not like you can rag them for long on the road without running out of road. If it's been raced or crashed that's a different story though.

Comment

I've seen a superb kit to fit one in the front of a mini

Comment

Originally posted by Zatoichi_Samurai View Post
                  Okay, it's stuck record time ... Try the new Kawasaki Ninja 250 (in the UK: ZX250). Max speed about 115, 0-60 in the same time as a Porsche 911, yet this potential is only there if you demand it with aggressive throttle action: it's very forgiving if you aren't deliberately riding aggressively. The littlest Ninja doesn't do as well in the UK because people want to go from a 125 straight to a 600, but I firmly believe it is the ideal first "proper" bike. I've ridden mine all over the US -- that's on the mental interstate highway system as well as on little back-roads. The new version for 2008 is similar mechanically while looking very very modern with the new fairing etc. Give it a shot if you can.

Comment

Bump!

Anyone here own or, more likely, used to own a Yamaha FZR 600? I've always liked the Fizzer's looks with that old-school dual headlight nose, and I recently found a lovely 1993 one in good nick for about a thousand quid. I'm very tempted to pick it up. Thoughts?

Also, I'm mulling over laying out a bit more for a Triumph Daytona T595 from 1998. Thoughts on that one would be appreciated; it's going for the equivalent of about 1700 quid, in good condition. Any thoughts from the crowd?

(Keeping my Ninjette, of course! )

Comment

Never had a Fazer, but like the Hornet and Bandit they're well regarded.
                      The Hornet was my favourite of the above. Sadly I wrote mine off 18 months ago in a collison with Krusty the Klown in his Krustymobile. I'd have another one if I thought my now dodgy knee was up for it.
                      The Daytona FTW if it's a faired (T595 is faired right?) bike your wanting, but for the cash you could pick up a Speed Triple from around 2000 I reckon, a bonkers bike indeed and guaranteed to put a smile on your face and a warm lining in yer pants.

Comment

fazer6 is a lovely bike. Barely any difference in speed between it and my ninja6 on the road. Very comfy. Not as good in the rain though. Friend has one. T595 is pretty heavy for what you get. Styling is a plus though.

Comment

Oh, I should point out that the FZR600 I mean is what in the UK would be the one that was around up to 1993, not the one after that. (In the US the original model kept the designation of FZR600 for several years more).

The thing with the Triumph is, yes, it's more expensive, and it's heavy, but I can't help but think it'd be just the ticket for belting along the US interstate as well as carving up those back roads. The fairing is a must - I already have a streetfighter (my Ninjette, post-loading dock!)

Comment

I'm now booked to go to the Ring on 27th June. The Force: be there.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              I'm now booked to go to the Ring on 27th June. The Force: be there.
                              LOL dammit Charles, you're gonna cost me a lot of money !
                              as I go already the weekend before, Sunday 22-06 I'll be all day on the Nordschleife, then we sleep there and then on Monday 23-06 I have a trackday on the NurburgringF1 track (OH YEAH!!).

But I will manage to be there also the following weekend as well when you are there !
                              How long do you stay there ? for the whole weekend or just one day ?

You have never been there before ? ....

Comment

The Fazer won it, because it had a sensible owner who was honest about the required maintenance, and I got him down to $1,650 (about 800 quid).

Edit: Just noticed the two posts above me - jealousy!! Can't wait to get my "new" bike to the track.

Comment

Working...
                                X