No announcement yet.

Motorbikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that bike looks quite good, and probably a lot of fun to ride. Going to a bike shop today to have a look at whats available, think if I see a few different bikes it will help me to eventually make a decision...just have to make sure I pass the bike test.

Comment

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
      I had thought about getting a more calmer bike, but the GSX seems like its quite an exciting machine...will have to see how I feel nearer the time...Suzuki SV looks ok.
      The SV that Charlesr suggested is indeed a fantastic first bike and ideal for someone who's just passed their test. The V twin engine means it's got plenty of umph off the go and they're a very user friendly / well though out package. I'd certainly say that a new rider on one of those could exploit it's potential far more easilly and be quicker A to B (and have a lot more fun on the way) than a new rider on a Gixer 6 (or any of the out and out sports bikes for that matter) .

Comment

i'd go for the gixer6. the money you would save from having something easier and then buying again could be used for getting rid of that giant banana can suzuki calls an exhaust.
        As for taking it fairly easy as it would be a first bike the gixer isnt too bad. Softer percieved power than the rest of the 600s and it has the 'chicken switch' too. :P
        All the power is at the top f the rev range so you can use as much or a little as you want and it is setup softer than the other 600s out of the box, so is the easiest to start on as you can fettle out the soft as you get more confident.
        The best thing to do is take a test ride or two, get them booked as soon as you get the license. everyone likes different things and personally i'd much rather have a bike that will grove with me rather than grow out of. but i might have done it that way if i had the budget.

Out curiosity what are we all riding on here? I'm intrested as to how we fall; calm and steady, sports, barely legal track weapon.
        i'll start if you like; track weapon
        Last edited by concretesnail; 19-06-2010, 12:18.

Comment

Love the colour on that Triumph.

I'm on a MY00 ZX6R that I've had since new. It still scares the poo out of me, but I still want more (having tried a 2009 Blade). But as I said, my next bike will be a Motard for sure.

Comment

I've an SV650S from new although I've been meaning to get around to selling it - as a first bike it has been extremely good as despite what you read, it's no slouch and performance is more than adequate. In fact the biggest challenge I find with it is keeping within the speed limits as a quick twist of the throttle and it's straight past the speed limit.

I haven't touched mine since June last year as I've just not been enjoying it, had a couple of near misses due to gravel being spilt on the road meaning I've had to be more cautious on corners which takes the fun out of it. Although my car can't match its pace I've been preferring driving it as its four big grippy wheels can cope with pretty much anything and there's no danger of falling off. I should really go back to it but it's hard to get that imminent feeling of crashing again out of my head, last time it was luckily just a friction burn but who knows about the next.

John

Comment

This is why I think Motard is the way to go (unless doing lots of track work). Speed down, but fun up and mid-corner surprises are more manageable. I've tried a Kawasaki KLX-650 1cy motard and the suspension was amazing and wheelied everywhere.

I've had my Ninja step out coming out of wet roundabouts on the power by accident and whilst it was never dangerous, it was more the bike sorting it out than me. I think with something like this, you'd be doing it on purpose

Comment

I have to agree with Charles, since last year riding on public roads with the Blade got more and more insane to get some sort of kick out of it, and I´ve tried twice a Ducati Hypermotard and those are excellent fun, a friend of mine bought earlier this year beside his blade a KTM supermotard and that at the moment the bike he is using most.... you can have a lot of fun on those machines with much less speed.
                That said, nothing beats the awesome power from a 1000cc racer....
                I´m still waiting to receive my insurance money from the blade that got stolen, but this year I buy nothing new and I´m going this winter for a LotusElise or a HondaS2000, beside one of those cars I´m thinking about getting a 2nd hand KTMsupermotard..

@Womble, how is the BMW ?! I´ve spoken to a guy I know from trackdays that has one as well now and he is really loving it, he says the power on that machine is insane !! I still didn´t make that 2nd testdrive...

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
                Have been thinking about which bike I would like to get, and currently this looks most interesting

if I can pass, I will get a bike in the spring. Maybe the 2011 edition will be available then.
                Nice choice, I think it´s all down to the person riding bike if you should start with a bike like this, my first bike was an 600RR and it was an excellent choice, like said before by someone, the power only really kicks in after 10,000rpm, so it´s quite easy to ride it sensible as well, but ofcourse these 600cc bikes are still VERY fast and take a lot of respect while riding on on the road.

Comment

I have been doing a little research on the net and been reading some reviews of the cbr 600rr 08 version. Quite like the honda, but think I prefer the GSX. Only problem I can see is the AA and it was over £1000... Seems a bit high to me.

Comment

by AA do you the recovery people?

Comment

Yep the AA recovery people.

Comment

eh? surely some mistake.

can't remember who I'm with, but it's dirt cheap.£40 or something.

Comment

have you tried the bike insurer who ad on eurosport around bsb, wbk, and gp.
                          i know that if you go with the likes of the AA i know that you might get free recovery and that kind of thing but i have heard some horror stories, regarding bikes jst getting thrown on trucks. I had to callk them on my old bike while I had an AA covered pillion (i wasnt with anyone and joing at the roadside is dear as hell) and they made me wait 40 minutes only to to be asked if i had check the sparks etc.
                          I knidly pointed out that I had checked what i could at the side of the raod, fuses etc, but checking the sparks ment removing the tank cowl, tank and airbox. the chap they had sent out seemed a liitle surpirsed about that.
                          this destoryed my faith in the AA and wouldnt touch them with a bargepole now.
                          regarding insurers the only advise i would offer is covered in two points;
                          1: bennetts ****ed me over recently and i wont be using them in the future, because it's not "about the bike", its about screwing people. avoid
                          2: you only ever find out how good your insurance provider is when you need to make a cliam.

Comment

I installed a new PCV map yesterday, one of Dynojet's own, and the Blade and Taylormade Racing exhaust were running much better.

Comment

Had to make a car insurance claim with More Than this year, when my engine was attacked by rodents, they were excellent at all stages of the claim, and would look to them if they offered bike insurance...will have to do some research on this, as dont want to buy a bike and be extorted over something like the insurance.

Also date of bike test is 31st August, so hopefully not long too wait till, I get a licence
                              Last edited by baad bwoy; 25-06-2010, 16:15.

Comment

Started training on Saturday, and have now done the CBT and had a lesson round the local town on a 500cc bike. Wondered if anyone could clarify something for me?
                                During the bike lesson when looking to overtake stationary vehicles where I had to slightly change road position, I used the indicator, only to have the instructor shouting in my ear not to do this.
                                Not sure if I was hearing him correctly, as I had thought if I change my road position I need to indicate, so others on the road will be informed of my intentions.
                                Or is it that I just need to indicate when overtaking other vehicles when It causes me to change lanes. Can anyone clear this up for me?
                                Thanks
                                Last edited by baad bwoy; 02-08-2010, 18:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X