Motorbikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnboy
    Always fancied getting into biking and still do but find most bikes restrictive so thought i would get some advice from the experienced riders in here.

Was always my intention to do the c.b.t. and get some experience on a 125cc bike but due to me being 6ft 5in. the only bikes i found decent for legroom were the trail bikes yamaha dt and the likes.I did think about a honda cg 125 but the next image always sprung to mind.

The other problem i found were my size 12's especially trying to keep on the peg and under the gears.

I am sure other tall/large feet people have managed to get over these problems and i am interested in how.
    I had a TDR 125 when I was on L's and it served me well. Certainly big enough for someone over 6 foot. It and the DTr are some of the few large 125's.

I'm not particularly tall though so can't really relate to your problem but I'd say go for physically bigger bikes with more room. Trail style as you mention or enduro stlye, get a BMW GS?
    Last edited by Alastair; 21-05-2007, 09:31.

Comment

im 6'5" and when on l's many moons ago, had great times on kawasaki kmx 125's and yamaha dtr 125's, specialy in deristricted form

ive size 12's aswell, height and foot size pose no problems on these 2 bikes, as for when u pass your test, i prefer sports bikes (which kill me after about an hour )
      Last edited by fragmast3r; 21-05-2007, 09:57.

Comment

I've got size 12 feet. Can't see how this can be an issue, unless you are resting your instep on the peg instead of the ball of your foot. You should be doing the latter and then moving your foot forwards to change gear or brake and returning it again after using it.

You can get modifications for sports bikes that lift the back up whilst still remaining safe - probably very expensive though. As suggested, trail bikes or super motard conversions would be ideal for you unless you want to do motorway work.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          I've got size 12 feet. Can't see how this can be an issue, unless you are resting your instep on the peg instead of the ball of your foot. You should be doing the latter and then moving your foot forwards to change gear or brake and returning it again after using it.

I dont have any riding experience so i hope you can understand what i mean.When i move my foot forward then i find i have to bend my foot downwards to get through the gap between the peg and the gear lever to get my toe under the gears.The angle i find is a strain on my ankle and lower leg.Like i said maybe this is something that comes with experience.

The bike would be for commuting(short journeys) and having a blast so the trail bike would be fine.

Comment

I tried an old klx 640 kawasaki, which had been jacked up and supermotarded. I had to jump on to it, leaping via the peg.... When it sagged, I could just put my toes on the ground. My inside leg is 34". Should be fine for you.

Can see what you mean about the angle - could be worse for you if you have REALLY long legs, but otherwise, would just be an experience thing.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
              I tried an old klx 640 kawasaki, which had been jacked up and supermotarded. I had to jump on to it, leaping via the peg.... When it sagged, I could just put my toes on the ground. My inside leg is 34". Should be fine for you.

Can see what you mean about the angle - could be worse for you if you have REALLY long legs, but otherwise, would just be an experience thing.
              My inside leg is 36" which doesn't help.I suppose doing d.a.s then getting a larger bike is an option only downside being the higher costs.Thanks all for the advice.

Comment

You shouldn't laugh, but riding motorbikes can be too exciting for some people: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/6767457.stm

Comment

Read that earlier Marty. Can think of worse ways to go though, poor old sod!

Comment

Okay, so earlier I mentioned my love of Kawasaki's littlest Ninja from when I was back home and that. So much more than the "beginner" bike it's painted as in some quarters over here in the US, although not so much back in Blighty (probably because in the UK that's an accusation thrown at 125s).

Well, I've finally got round to acquiring one, having patiently waited until one that was actually made this century was available for the right price! About 650 quid* has bought me one of these little beauties, in classic love-it-or-hate-it Kawi race green. Obviously, due to the climate in the pic, this isn't the one I own, but it's near as dammit identical:

All hail the EX250: dated design, yes, but oh, so very functional. The only small-displacement true sportbike!

* - I love how much cheaper stuff is over here! And, yes, it's in very good condition, specially for a 2001 bike.
                    Last edited by Eps; 31-07-2007, 01:19.

Comment

Looking good Psi - I'm a fan of Kawa green so it's alright by me.

I'm going up to Brands on Friday to watch the WSB practice day, any one else going?

Comment

I've always loved the stock look of the 04 R1 and until recently I have kept the bike virtually stock since I got her a little over two years ago now (pillion seat cowl with rear footpegs removed and Yamaha racing screen were the only mods). I've thought about changing it for a K5/K6 GSX-R1000 but can't let go of the 04's looks and I'll never ride either bike to their potential so thought I would keep the R1 and spend a little bit of money on her and thanks to eBay I managed to do the following for around ?700 while maintaining the stock appearance:

Nothing over the top and easy to put back to stock if needs be. I might go for a few more parts in carbon fibre but nothing major.

Proton Lights Flushmounts

Acumen Indicator Relay

Power Commander III

Pazzo short levers

Custom Baffles and De-cat Y-pipe

Before:

After:

Finished Product

I'm really pleased with how it all turned out and it's running well; the exhausts are much cooler and the power curve has been smoothed out and the levers are very comfortable.

Comment

I think you've done a nice job there - it's a nice subtle change rather than the often gross coloured screens and bolts.

I've kept my 2002 ZX-6R stock since I bought it, the only minor gripe I've had is the carbs suffer a bit from icing in damp cold weather - it has plenty of speed and smooth acceleration as is. It's a pity the newer ZX bikes have gone so hardcore as they really don't suit my requirements anymore :/

Nice little 250 there Psi, not quite as pure a stroker, but certainly a different to a 600/1000 4 - for a while I considered getting a ZXR400 as a track bike, but in the end I decided I really didn't like doing track days that much, due to some people being a bit too mad, so couldn't really justify it.

Comment

Beautiful MJ, I love that style R1 also.

What are the Pazzo leavers like to use? I've had reports of the clutch being too short and some people not being able to adjust to 2 finger rather than 4 finger clutch action.

Comment

Hmm - odd you should mention that, but I think I always use 4 fingers on the clutch, however, I'm happy to cover the brake with two fingers, and prefer this when blipping down the gears.

Comment

Exactly the same as me Marty, that's why I ask as the Pazzo look nice but I doubt they'd be my thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X