No announcement yet.

Show us your dogs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dog used to do that when we locked her downstairs at night. I know it sounds cruel but ignoring them is the best thing to do in that situation. With my dog it took her about a week to realise we weren't going to come to her every time she howled (although it sounded more like a MOO...my dog is very weird ) but, at the same time, that she was safe downstairs with a warm place to sleep.

After a week or so she got used to it and didn't make any noise when we went to sleep and left her downstairs. I think it's just the fact that your puppy is scared of being on its own, in a strange house. Plus, because it's a puppy (as mine was when I got her) they're still learning what they can do, so the whining could just be 'Listen to me - I can make a noise!' It isn't in danger or hurt, or it would be whining all of the time

When mine realised she could whine, she used it at every opportunity and is still like that now. She'll whine when she wants the toilet, when she wants food, when she wants to play, when she's tired and wants to go to bed (!) etc. My advice to anyone with a puppy is to encourage any odd behaviour that isn't dangerous/naughty as a dog's personality should always be encouraged, IMO. My dog is just so unique and it's because we never discouraged her from all of her little personality quirks (taking her toys outside into the garden to wash them, for example )

Comment

Yeah the whining is harsh to listen to, but you have to be strong!

When we got ours home, for the first few weeks he slept in the porch on his own. He had a nice warm bed, food, water, somewhere to crap etc., but he just cried all night. It must be hard, taken out of their warm house with their siblings and mum and then being shut in on their own, but as the posts above say, after a few days they quickly learn and just don't bother any more.

It's really tempting to go and get them and make them all happy again, but if you can put up with it for just a few days you'll be SO glad you did. Don't even shout down to him. It's heartbreaking I know, but it's better for both of you

Comment

I know all about the Moo-ing......

Some puppies sound very strange when they start howling.

Comment

Take him into your bed with you and he won't whine. And you'll have a buddy to keep you warm over winter. Remember, the poor thing has just been taken away from his mother and he's only a baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            Take him into your bed with you and he won't whine. And you'll have a buddy to keep you warm over winter. Remember, the poor thing has just been taken away from his mother and he's only a baby.
            You'll never be able to train them to sleep on their own if you do that. And you do not want your bed to become a toilet.

Our poodle was bad for about a week and it does make you feel really awful. I found myself wandering down the first few nights to see if he was ok, but after a while you've just got to let them get used to it.

Comment

Aye, me and my sister made the mistake of going down at the same time, and then he just wanted to play >_<

I think we're going to rotate the 'Oscar-Watch', as it were. One of us each night is responsible for going and calming him down if he gets too wound up. Seems like a good plan to me.

Also, I read on a Puppy Care website that one thing to do if he is crying at night is to talk to him from outside the room, or to put the radio on at a low volume so he has some background noise. They seem like good ideas to me but are they?

Thanks ^_^

Comment

Yep, both very good ideas. The puppy doesn't want to be alone. If he thinks he isn't on his own (as in you are in the next room) he could be more likely to settle quicker. Some people leave their tv on when they go out leaving a dog at home for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Distant Cousin View Post
                  Aye, me and my sister made the mistake of going down at the same time, and then he just wanted to play >_<

I think we're going to rotate the 'Oscar-Watch', as it were. One of us each night is responsible for going and calming him down if he gets too wound up. Seems like a good plan to me.

Also, I read on a Puppy Care website that one thing to do if he is crying at night is to talk to him from outside the room, or to put the radio on at a low volume so he has some background noise. They seem like good ideas to me but are they?

Thanks ^_^
                  The radios not a bad idea, but talking through the door may cause probs later when the dog assumes that if it wants attention it simply has to whine....
                  It's already been said, but getting them into a routine of been put to bed then ignoring the whining *should* work after a few days/week depending on the breed/intelligence of the dog. If you're still up and the dogs been put to bed, walk around in view of the dog ignoring the whining - they get the hang of it after a while, and it really isn't cruel to the dog - they have to realise their position (at the bottom) in your family 'pack', otherwise its time to call for the Dog Whisperer

Comment

The radio worked for us. We put it on (Classic FM - very calming ) outside his door very very quietly, just enough to hear. We also put a warm hot water bottle under/beside his bed for a few nights, just to encourage him to curl up on the warm bit.

Comment

We've got a blue roan cocker spaniel as well, and I can tell you that the worst thing to do is to give him attention when he's crying at night, if you keep it up he'll just expect it every night. Like someone mentioned earlier, the best thing is to leave him and he will get used to it.

Comment

Don't know if this has been posted already, but here is (US Vice President) Dick Cheney's two dogs dressed as Darth Vader and Superman for Halloween:

Comment

Vader costume FTW!

Comment

Ladies and Gents, I give you young Bobby!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ahhhh, he's gorgeous!

I miss having a dog.

Comment

He's the first dog Ive had and a proper handful, love him to bits though!

Even at this young age (9 weeks) I cant believe how sneaky he is, I know Jacks have a reputation for being a bit clever but he looks like trouble lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X