X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Spooky

Ok - this is the kind of thing I meant, it sort of worked, obviously I need to play about with the technique.

This is the sort of thing I'd never try with 35mm film, ( or medium format ) - but it's just the sort of thing I can experiment with a digital at.

This is purely done with a normal exposure at 30 seconds at F3.8 - no photoshopping involved. I guess for this to really work, you need either a remote flash or someone to shine a torch at you, as you can see the light source I used.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by MartyG; 26-01-2006, 16:10.

Comment

One of the best light shots i've seen is light painting. The camera was set to bulb and someone with a small torch went round the outline of a 2CV (i think, or it might have been a Beetle). Was a good image. I've done what you did with 35mm, it kinda worked but took until it was developed to realise it.

Comment

I also have an interest in photography so I thought I'd share some pictures I made. Comments, advice, ... are welcome!

Flower in Corfu:

Evening in Corfu:

Nice view in - you guessed it - Corfu:

Rusty:

Windows in Corfu:

Horse parade - Detail ( notice the raindrop ):

Motorbike - Detail:

Comment

The Windows in Corfu is nice - the textures in that would make for a nice B&W pic, although there's probably not enough contrast in it to work properly.

The first three pics look a little bit underexposed (easy fix in photoshop etc). What camera are you using?

Edit - the flower is the most obvious, just had this in paint shop pro and pulled the brightness and contrast up (prolly a couple of stops see attachment). It's probably the amount of white fooling the camera on the exposure setting, this is why snow can be a pain in the arse to photograph properly.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MartyG; 27-01-2006, 14:53.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG
              The Windows in Corfu is nice - the textures in that would make for a nice B&W pic, although there's probably not enough contrast in it to work properly.

The first three pics look a little bit underexposed (easy fix in photoshop etc). What camera are you using?

Edit - the flower is the most obvious, just had this in paint shop pro and pulled the brightness and contrast up (prolly a couple of stops see attachment). It's probably the amount of white fooling the camera on the exposure setting, this is why snow can be a pain in the arse to photograph properly.
              I'm also very fond of the windows!

My camera is a Panasonic DMC-FZ5 which I really love :-D

About the flower: I'm not sure I find the edited version better. The white is so bright you can't see the texture of the flower and the darkgreen leaves on the sides become a bit messy too... Still, none of the pictures were edited in any way so I'll still have to see how Photoshop can enhance them.

Comment

Yeah, it's a little too much in places it was just a quick 2 min job, you can play about with different levels, I still find the original pic too dark though.

Comment

Am I right in thinking that you can mask parts of a picture in Photoshop and then apply effects to just the bit you want? If that's the case, a quick guide on how to do it would be much appreciated.

edit: Hang on, think I've got it. Just regular selection tool seemingly

However, my question remains. Is there a way to select multiple parts of an image and only apply filters etc. to them, rather than the whole image?

Oh, and cool pictures Thisco.
                  Last edited by DaiSuki; 27-01-2006, 15:30.

Comment

Frank Kozik fan, LaParka?

Comment

To select multiple parts of a picture, it is the same as selecting multiple files in a folder. Ctrl(or maybe shift) and click :P

Works well with the magic wand, not so sure if it works with the rectangular selection tool.

Comment

OK, cheers Is there any way of saving the selections you've made over an image? I'm not just being lazy here; I'm looking at multiple selections which are taking me five or ten minutes each to make

Comment

Originally posted by DaiSuki
                          OK, cheers Is there any way of saving the selections you've made over an image? I'm not just being lazy here; I'm looking at multiple selections which are taking me five or ten minutes each to make
                          Have just been doing the same thing with my flower here. Once you've made the selection you want, click on the tab 'Channels' ( next to 'Layers' ), then at the bottom choose 'Save selection as Channel'. What I then did was copy the selections I wanted and paste them in a new layer, then I went back to the layer I wanted to change and applied the effect there.

For me it was a case of making the background lighter as well as the flower, but the flower LESS so than the background.

Comment

That's almost exactly what I'm trying to do. Cheers. Will have to work this layers thing out... I may well be back for further advice

Comment

Originally posted by DaiSuki
                              That's almost exactly what I'm trying to do. Cheers. Will have to work this layers thing out... I may well be back for further advice
                              It really sounds as if I know what I'm talking about, but I - and I kid you not - only just started using the program a week ago with an official guidebook to get to know most of the functions.

*Fast Show voice* It's BRILLIANT!

Comment

Originally posted by Thisco
                                I also have an interest in photography so I thought I'd share some pictures I made. Comments, advice, ... are welcome!

Flower in Corfu:

Evening in Corfu:

Nice view in - you guessed it - Corfu:

Rusty:

Windows in Corfu:

Horse parade - Detail ( notice the raindrop ):

Motorbike - Detail:
                                http://static.flickr.com/21/29080847_51519b265f_b.jpg

Flower in Corfu after Photoshop treatment:

Evening in Corfu after Photoshop treatment:

Windows in Corfu: black and white ( not through an elaborate way, so can probably be done better ):

Inevitable Photoshop fooling around picture:

Comment

Working...
                                X