X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new toy! can you guess what it is?

here is a clue:

Comment

A macro lens clearly. I often wonder if I'd get much use out of one, doubt it, it's not really my thing.

Dan, I've been thinking. Your mates father the camera man, are we talking video camera? If so the lights will likely be constant, what I would call hot lights (probably not the real name). This is nothing like flash or strobe lighting as the effect of the bulbs being on for 1/200 of a second isn't there and then you can't allow ambient light in by altering the shutter.

Comment

Oh oh oh oh oh oh !!!!!!!

Did you get the MP-E 65mm X-TREEEEEME Macro lens? That thing is a BEAUTY! BEEEEAAAUUUTTTYYYYY!

Hehe... You're gonna need the MT-24EX and a nice macro rail too. I want more images perleeaaase.

Comment

I did indeed. I do want the flash but my current bracket and flashgun can light most things relatively nicely - haveing a few problems when the lens is fully extended as the flash position is not great but seem okay so far.

Unfortunately changing the magnification and extending shortening the lens means I need to unscrew my bracket and manually move the flash. Obviously the MT-24EX would remove this problem entirely.

Macro rail I dont think I will have use for because when after insects they tend to be skittish and bugger off before a tripod or anything can be setup.

More pictures to come when I find something interesting to photograph!

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
            Dan, I've been thinking. Your mates father the camera man, are we talking video camera? If so the lights will likely be constant, what I would call hot lights (probably not the real name). This is nothing like flash or strobe lighting as the effect of the bulbs being on for 1/200 of a second isn't there and then you can't allow ambient light in by altering the shutter.
            Thanks Al, but I do not have any where near as much experience in this area as you, and I am struggling to understand what you mean. To be honest, you're putting the fear of god into me

I need to figure out what to do when I get there, have fun with it and get stuck in and find my own way - learn by mistakes if you will. So thanks again mate, I know I asked for advice (and I don't mean to sound ungrateful!) - but it's fun, not all doom and gloom, so please stop terrifying me with all these things that might go wrong!
            Last edited by funkydan; 12-12-2008, 09:29.

Comment

Ha - you did ask. I'm only trying to help by explaining how to deal with different set ups. It's not something to go wrong, just that you'll need to work in different ways depending on the lights.

Good luck with it all then, I wont make any more suggestions.

Comment

I know mate but I don't understand about anything like that to do with lights, even with you kindly taking the time to explain it to me! I'll just muddle through and hope for the best

Comment

Originally posted by Magnakai View Post
                  Oh oh oh oh oh oh !!!!!!!

Did you get the MP-E 65mm X-TREEEEEME Macro lens? That thing is a BEAUTY! BEEEEAAAUUUTTTYYYYY!

Hehe... You're gonna need the MT-24EX and a nice macro rail too. I want more images perleeaaase.
                  Damn, I've been eyeing up the MP-E for about three years now but I'm afraid its power will corrupt me. You spend hundreds on the lens then realise you need a new flash, then a macro rail, then something to actually shoot....gah its all too much for me

Comment

Well, Al might not give you any more advice, but I'll try.

Dan, lighting's not something to be scared of, but it will change your shoot entirely and it's something to think about in advance, rather than just working out when you get there.

A basic three-point lighting setup contains a key light (which is the main light), a fill light and a backlight. This will serve you very well, and you can get creative by adjusting the angles, height, distance, power and diffusion of the various lights.

If the warehouse you're in has interesting features, you may wish to use a fourth light to highlight interesting background detail.

I'd try to shoot at a relatively high f-stop, killing or dampening the ambient light. Then bring the exposure back with the video lights.

There are a couple of things to consider if they really are constant lights. One is that they'll get hot, and the subjects will get hot. Now, it's very cold, so that might actually be a blessing, but I'm just warning you. Also, the light that tungsten gives out is relatively warm, so you may (or may not!) want to put a blue gel over the lights. The dad may well have some of these, they're very common and cheap.

One good thing about using constant lights is that it's much easier to see how they're affecting the subject in real time, which is useful when learning.

Have fun! Remember, you're shooting portraits, so the subjects need to be relaxed and having fun. You're the expert there and you're in charge, so don't be afraid to boss them around. They expect you to tell them to stand this way or that, to turn their head to the right or the left, etc etc etc. So don't be afraid and just act like a pro.

Last, but not least (and you don't need any encouragement, I'm sure), post up the results!

Comment

Dudes - thanks for all your words of wisdom; I may not understand all of what you are saying but I will put what I do to good use!

Comment

I was totally bored last night so took a picture of me taking a picture - I know original! Rather than post some thing boring I played around with photoshop to come up with a 'film' style look to it. C&C welcome:

Comment

... and just spent the last two hours recovering files because I accidently deleted my photography folder

Got them all back (if with funny file names). Now going through the whole set to sort out the keepers from the chaff.

Comment

Come on Dan. Don't keep us all guessing. How'd you get on?

Comment

Finally got round to doing some photography after a few months of inactivity:

Comment

Looks like you had good seats. Chris Pfiffer (however it's spelt - on the bike) is AMAZING isn't he. Coll shots
                                Last edited by Alastair; 15-12-2008, 12:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X