No announcement yet.

I know kung fu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always wanted to try Ba Gua and Hsing I, I may dabble once I reach Dan grade in my art first.

A few weeks ago I tested for 6th Gup in Tang Soo Do and passed (nearly passed out more like!), and now we're working hard with our fight squad for the next competition, and setting up a demo for a local town summer fair.

The forms (hyung/kata) I have now are starting to get much harder and much more interesting.

More importantly - SENI IN 3 WEEKS! Anyone else coming along?

Comment

Unfortunately it's very hard to find a good teacher for Hsing I and Ba Gua. Most often they are taught only by the better (read: martial) Tai Chi schools, and only then as a supplement to the Tai Chi. It's a shame really since they are very powerful arts in their own right. I suppose if you live in or near a big city you might be able to find a school that teaches them.

Comment

Hmmm, MMA is still going well, should be doing some submission tournaments this year

I really want to do something to complement MMA and boxing, Brazilian Jujitsu would be ideal, but the nearest place where it's taught is Nottingham, 40odd miles, and I don't fancy doing that twice a week.

It's a dilemma..

Comment

So how's everyone doing? It's been a while since this one got buried again? I tested for 5th Gup this week and passed, it nearly killed me once again

Then on the Sunday we went to a local tournament again. Although this time I took a damn good kicking from a guy who entered himself in a weight division higher (mine) than his normal one, it was a great day and we had a good haul as a club.

I'm loving the training at the moment, and the study of the history and background. It's really interesting to go to these competitions and watch the Japanese and Okinawan versions of our forms and how much they differ.

Comment

still doing my kick boxing, loving it, i do miss the karate though but alas not enough time for both, realy stepped it up recently though as tournament in september so been doing more running, weights etc to get the rest of my fitness up.

Comment

Umm. I'm a 4th Dan now. ****ting it because I've got to go to Japan for the next grading. And that involves getting out the way of someone smashing you over the head with a (padded) Shinai.

From behind.

Babs, what Hyung are learning now?
              Last edited by k0pp0; 31-07-2007, 14:56.

Comment

For my next grading it'll be Pyung Ahn Sam Dan (pinan/heian sam dan). I essentially know it already, I just need to get it really tidy now, and get the breathing right.

They're starting to get a lot more interesting now, with much more variation in stance, and showing tension/relaxation.

I also have a 3-section staff I picked up at seni which I'm dying to injur myself with

Comment

This one's been buried for far too long! Anyone still training in something?

I graded for 4th Gup a few weeks back and passed, that's about as big as my news gets. I'm just looking forward now to the day-after-boxing-day beach training and dip in the sea

Comment

Bit of a thread bump, But anyone still doing there respective martial arts?

I graded for my Green Belt In Kickboxing on Sunday, and im still feeling it today. So bloody sore.

Comment

Still follow mine but have no actually been for an age! I was actually just watching a Ninjutsu DVD

Comment

Can you do MMA as just a self-defence thing, like not taking part in competition, etc?

Comment

I've done Zen Kempo Ryu Ju Jitsu for a few years now - taking my Green (6th) belt in December... It's a very practical self-defence form of Jitsu covering armed opponents, strangles, grabs, multiple opponents, even shiatsu... There's no dance choreography, which I love - it's just pure usable stuff.

Stu - yes, you can... but don't rule things out

I also trained with Chris Bacon (MMA) Manchester Budo for a few years while at uni... now that was fun lol !! (this fella - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgl_2Uk5tjU )
                          Last edited by Asholay; 07-10-2009, 09:54.

Comment

I trained in Shotokan Karate for about eleven years, which was good fun, but stopped when I closed our club after our sensei died. Since then, I've been learning Wing Chun kung fu. Totally different than karate, spent a good while unlearning our old style.

Comment

Still doing mine - just got over another knee related set back. Did a mini seminar for some Taekwondo types today which was fun - they were a really sound bunch, and we stepped it up slightly for them so there were lots of ooo's and ah's. Although I now have some choice bruises.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                                Still doing mine - just got over another knee related set back. Did a mini seminar for some Taekwondo types today which was fun - they were a really sound bunch, and we stepped it up slightly for them so there were lots of ooo's and ah's. Although I now have some choice bruises.
                                My old instructor and I used to hire out the space next to the TKD lot just before they finished. They would all be looking over at what we were at and it used to proper vex their instructor Got a few more people to our class for a short while

Comment

Working...
                                X