The Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjpageuk
    You dont seem to like Hamed much and I think you are being a bit harsh.

Hamed beat a lot of good boxers but just not Barrera who, frankly, was an amazing boxer.

Hamed did have 16 world title fights.

The BBC, rather amazingly, have him as the 4th best British boxer of all time.
    I don't think I am being harsh. You're damn right about one thing though - I don't like Hamed.

Yes, he had 16 world title fights, though it could very well be argued that the quality of opposition left a hell of a lot to be desired - Daniel Alicea, anybody?

Far too cocky and arrogant, and again, he simply couldn't back it up against true world-class opposition like Marco Antonio Barrera - arguably the only world-class opponent he ever faced. Washed-up has-beens like Steve Robinson, Kevin Kelley, Wayne McCullough and Paul Ingle simply don't count - I'm sorry, but they don't.

And now he's trying to jump on the Amir Khan bandwagon? Do me a favour!!

British Boxing is all the better off without him - fact.

Comment

I'm quite looking forward to seeing Prince Naseem fighting again

Comment

Originally posted by rjpageuk
        You dont seem to like Hamed much and I think you are being a bit harsh.

Hamed beat a lot of good boxers but just not Barrera who, frankly, was an amazing boxer.

Hamed did have 16 world title fights.

The BBC, rather amazingly, have him as the 4th best British boxer of all time.
        Hamed was the biggest waste of talent I have ever seen. His peak was when he beat Tom "Boom Boom" Johnson to get the IBF world title. Rather than consolidate that, and go for the WBC/WBA titles, he binned the IBF title and concentrated on his next to worthless WBO title, fighting far less able opponents.

He basically went after the money in the easiest possible fashion. He knew he would sell out UK arenas, so didn't need to risk anything. You could say it was the smart move. But it didnt do his credibility any favours when claiming to be the best in the world.

Had he fought tougher opponents throughout his career, I don't doubt he would have given Barrera a good fight, as it was, he got beaten up.

Comment

I think the cockiness is part of his showmanship. It makes him 100 times more fun to watch. Part of the problem with boxing nowadays is that the boxers are all so plain and have no personas, they just get in the ring and fight but you dont really care about them. Nazeem being cocky made you want to see him get beat and when he won, you were emotionally sucked in to the sport even more.

Comment

He was a personality, I didnt like the guy one bit and hoped he would get hammered each time he took to the ring, but he did put on a show and some of the knockouts were memorable.

To be honest though, I long for the days of boxing again when it was Nigel Bell, Eubank, Collins, Watson and co, the Benn fights in particular were some of the best Ive seen. The Benn V McClennand fight was incredible, shame about the consequences of it though.

That said, I do love watching Roy Jones Jnr, but hes hardly ever on TV over here, and last I heard of him hed lost two fights and many were saying he had past his best.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
              To be honest though, I long for the days of boxing again when it was Nigel Bell, Eubank, Collins, Watson and co, the Benn fights in particular were some of the best Ive seen. The Benn V McClellan fight was incredible, shame about the consequences of it though.
              Agreed. I remember taping Benn V McClellan (lost the VHS cassette ages ago though). Probably the best boxing match I ever saw, tbh. How good would McClellan have gone on to become if he had avoided those terrible injuries? Nigel Benn (one of my all-time faves) was never the same boxer after that fight, and understandably so.

Funnily enough, the fight was on my 13th Birthday, believe it or not!

That said, I do love watching Roy Jones Jnr, but hes hardly ever on TV over here, and last I heard of him hed lost two fights and many were saying he had past his best.
              The mighty Roy Jones Jr. is a spent force now, lost his last two fights - against Glencoffe Johnson and a rematch with Antonio Tarver. He too was an amazing boxer - best pound-for-pound fighter in his prime, for sure.
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 12-12-2005, 11:23.

Comment

Not to sound too gay or anything, but if there was one mans physique Id love to have its Roy Jones', his muscle definition was like... whoa

Ahem.. anyways, I remember him against James Toney. Toney was another mean looking, mouthy and arrogant boxer looked after by Mickey Rourke I beleive (in fact I saw him time ago on Jonathan Ross's show, he was insulting a British boxer Ross was interviewing I think it was Eubank, talking about his mother etc ..?). During the fight, Toney decided to goad Jones and dropped his arms, in an instant Jones clubbed the guy and I swear he lifted right off the floor. Lights out for Toney

Anyone remember the British guy Jones fought not so long ago? I remember after the guy had taken a beating, they straight away went and interviewed him in his dressing room, the guy didnt know what had hit him he looked a right mess

Comment

Anyone remember the British guy Jones fought not so long ago? I remember after the guy had taken a beating, they straight away went and interviewed him in his dressing room, the guy didnt know what had hit him he looked a right mess
                  You must be talking about Clinton Woods - a guy who seems to think he's a better boxer than he actually is. That said, he does now hold a world-title - albeit a lesser version.

He wants a rematch with Jones, but I doubt he'll ever get it.

Comment

Clinton Woods is also a dead keen Sheffield Wednesday fan, after he won his title he was at Hillsborough the following Saturday and said to the crowd. "Thanks for coming to watch me batter that Mexican." Quality stuff, sounds as if he smokes 60 a day.

Comment

Joe Calzaghe has a chance to clean them all up. He's up against the undefeated Jeff Lacy who's been likened to a young Mike Tyson with an impressive KO percentage. If he wins He could move up and take on Clinton Woods for his title and then Antonio Tarver. JC's record is 40-0.

Ricky Hatton is the best fighter in the country by a distance at the moment and he fights in one of the toughest weight divisions of them all. You wouldn't think it though considering how little publicity he gets. If he continues winning and taking titles he could end up taking on Floyd Mayweather considered the best pound for pound fighter in the world.
                      Last edited by Shoju; 12-12-2005, 16:15.

Comment

This is about to start - Amir Khan V Jackson Williams

Danny Williams V Skelton also as the main bill (personally Im looking forward to Amirs fight more).

ITV now.

Comment

Amir pwns. Those fast combo's were mental.
                          Last edited by Nijo; 25-02-2006, 21:16.

Comment

well that was a quick fight for amir kahn

Comment

Good first round!

But dirteh bast using his head!

Comment

Watched the Williams vs Skelton fight, my god Skelton is a dirty fighter. Elbows following up punches in the clinch, a low blow, trying to clothesline Danny out of the ring as if it was WWF as well as countless clinch into uppercut skank punches he kept hammering with.

As the commentators said, cant believe he didnt get docked any points, it was rediculous. Skelton was lucky in the final 30 seconds Williams lost his balance and he didnt get knocked the **** out. He was definatley on his way out.

Nasty cut on his head, looks like he got bashed with an elbow, enough blood mist flying about in that final exchange. I would of been disgusted had Skelton won...even though it I actually thought he had the edge in the fight overall...but he should of definatly been docked a few points anyway.

Good fight, had to go and load up Fight Night straight after it.

Comment

Working...
                                X