Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shoju
    https://www.thering-online.com/ringp...ingupdate.html

That's what they think of Joe Calzaghe's performance last week over in America.
    Bill Dettloff has a point, IMO.

Why is Joe Calzaghe now calling out to fight a retired, 41-year old fighter in Bernard Hopkins?

Why is he not going after the best around right now (Tarver, Johnson, Wright, Taylor, etc.) if he is as great as he thinks/says he is? Those guys would fight him without question.

Just a thought...

Comment

It's a biased report. Why is he promoting American rivals Peter Manfredo and Allan Green when they haven't done anything? Their in the same division as Calzaghe and their gonna fight some the same people. Jeff Lacy got a load of hype based on what? Did he beat much better fighters than Calzaghe? Lennox Lewis who has nothing to do with this was mentioned just to be criticized.

Hopkins is still fighting really well having beaten Antonio Tarver and the losses to Taylor were very close, he ought to have won both. Johnson lost to Woods and Wright's more of a light middleweight.

The best fight out there for Calzaghe is a unification bout with undefeated Mikkel Kessler (38-0). Kessler is very good and if he was American he'd get a ton of hype and recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoju
        It's a biased report. Why is he promoting American rivals Peter Manfredo and Allan Green when they haven't done anything? Their in the same division as Calzaghe and their gonna fight some the same people. Jeff Lacy got a load of hype based on what? Did he beat much better fighters than Calzaghe? Lennox Lewis who has nothing to do with this was mentioned just to be criticized.

Hopkins is still fighting really well having beaten Antonio Tarver and the losses to Taylor were very close, he ought to have won both. Johnson lost to Woods and Wright's more of a light middleweight.

The best fight out there for Calzaghe is a unification bout with undefeated Mikkel Kessler (38-0). Kessler is very good and if he was American he'd get a ton of hype and recognition.
        I'm not sure about that. You're not seriously trying to tell me that a super-fight with Tarver or Taylor and/or the like wouldn't bring Calzaghe more cash and publicity stateside? They're struggling to sell a Calzaghe-Kessler fight to the TV networks. Besides, Calzaghe pulled out at the last moment (injury or otherwise) of fighting Glen Johnson to fight Bika. Regardless of whether Hopkins fought well against Tarver or not, the man himself has made it clear that he is retired. Hopkins is still a highly intelligent boxer, but he has to be - he literally can't move. Whilst he probably should have took the decision against Taylor first time around, Taylor did enough in the rematch IMO.

Say what you like about the US middleweight fighters mentioned in Dettloff's column, but they have all faced each other and have hardly ducked anyone when they have had the belts. To me it just seems that Calzaghe is wasting time calling out guys like Hopkins (again, 41 years old) and Jones (way, way past his best) or fighting the likes of Lacy (who I personally believed was a limited fighter anyway) and Bika when he really should be chasing the top US guys and proving himself as the best around without any doubt whatsoever.

Comment

A fight with Kessler would be the biggest test in his division but not the biggest money earner. It would also be a chance to be undisputed champ. Apart from Lennox, Britain hasn't had an undisputed champ for a long time. I don't think either of these guys are ducking anyone (just a few cancellations due to injury) there just not getting the same hype for their wins that American fighters get. Kessler has beaten nearly everyone he's fought easily (including better fighters then the ones Lacy beat) but he doesn't get treated the way Lacy was on his way up.

Tarver, Wright and Taylor are all in different divisions. If he fought Taylor one of them would have to give up their belts and move weight although Calzaghe did want him. Johnson lost to Clinton Woods so isn't a target anymore.

The best that America has in the Super Middleweight division is undefeated prospect Alan Green. If Calzaghe does go to America in Febuary he would be a realistic target.
          Last edited by Shoju; 22-10-2006, 20:04.

Comment

Should be a good night of boxing on Saturday

Danny Williams vs Audley Harrison (after Skelton pulled out)
            Amir Khan vs Drilzane (for the vacant IBF Intercontinental Title)

Can't believe Scott Harrison has pulled out of his fight. He's going to have to step up a weight division by sounds of it. Career. Over.

Comment

That last Harrison Vs Williams fight was terrible... two great big fella's throwing about two punches a round and hugging a lot. I'll watch it on Saturday though in the hope of seeing 'A-Force' sent to the canvas by Williams again.

Amir Khan is always worth a watch, I just hope he doesn't go the way of Hamed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jusatsushi
                That last Harrison Vs Williams fight was terrible... two great big fella's throwing about two punches a round and hugging a lot. I'll watch it on Saturday though in the hope of seeing 'A-Force' sent to the canvas by Williams again.
                Couldn't agree more.

The first fight was dreadful and I'm not expecting great things this time around. Car-crash TV: You know you shouldn't watch, but you do anyway, y'know?

I expect Danny Williams to take it on points again, but with his Jekyll/Hyde form and general lack of physical conditioning, you wouldn't exactly put your entire bank balance on it. Besides, I called it wrong the first time around (see post #7 of this thread), so what do I know?

One thing is certain: Either 'Fraudley/Audrey/Ordinary/A-Farce' (delete as applicable) or Williams will see their miserable excuse for a boxing career finally ended once and for all on Saturday night.

And Boxing will be all the better for it, quite frankly.
                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 07-12-2006, 18:30.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss
                  Should be a good night of boxing on Saturday

Danny Williams vs Audley Harrison (after Skelton pulled out)
                  Amir Khan vs Drilzane (for the vacant IBF Intercontinental Title)
                  Amir Khan fight should be entertaining. I kinda detest both Harrison and Williams, i reckon Audley aka the gimp will edge it though as willaims is a fat useless c**t!!

Comment

Originally posted by tigger
                    i reckon Audley aka the gimp will edge it though as willaims is a fat useless c**t!!
                    I'm no apologist for either guys, but the last part of your comment is pretty harsh, tigger.

Williams wasn't so useless when he beat Fraudley on points in their first fight (though admittedly, that wasn't hard given the overall quality of the actual fight), and he wasn't even fit (he admitted that his training regime was piss-poor).

Whereas A-Farce has been absolutely dire since losing to Williams. A disgrace.
                    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 07-12-2006, 18:45.

Comment

Harrison defeats Williams with a 3rd round stoppage.

Danny Williams - dreadful. Slow, unconditioned, unfit and unable to move. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Credit to Audley though, he did what he had to do. Cut Williams' face up something awful and hit him with some good shots.

Comment

Holy **** I really wasn't expecting that! Harrison destroyed Williams! In less than three rounds he smashed his nose and closed his left eye and finished it with a KO. Credit where credit is due I guess.

For the last five years since he went pro, he always looked like he had a bit of a powder punch and wouldn't go anywhere, but on that form and considering the heavyweights around at the moment aren't great he could do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse
                          I'm no apologist for either guys, but the last part of your comment is pretty harsh, tigger.
                          Yeah it was harsh and i would never say it to his face but boy is it true, Williams was and is stinking awfull. Audley in fairness looked frightening, hate him as a person and a fighter but his ferociousness made my cockles warm up!! World Champion? Doubt it but id be interested to see who he fights next.

Oh noticed Peter Manfredo Jr [contender]is fighting soon againts the welsh dragon from the ITV feed, news to me. He will be destroyed!!

Comment

Great fight , He smashed Williams to bits , I haven't seen a mess like that since I was last on the strongbow (Blood everyhwere :P).

He got the talent , I still don't think he's got the heart. But I wish him well and hope he does it .

Comment

Khan has a left hand on him, looks convincing in the first round. The kids got skills but his heart is yet to be tested. Wont happen in this fight.

Will be over by round 5. Khan is always open on the oa right though!!

Comment

Khan hits the canvas!!! Slipped on Willaims piss though!

Another round for Khan!!!
                                Last edited by GODZOOKI; 09-12-2006, 22:50.

Comment

Working...
                                X