No announcement yet.

The Cycling / Bicycles Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn’t bother if I were you. I have V brakes and they do the job with no problems. It’s only worth doing if you get serious. But if you do, go for the hydraulic option not the cable.

Comment

I would recommend GT bikes to anyone by the way. I've had two different GT Aggressors over the last few years. An Aggressor 2.0 for £350 a few years ago and now an Aggressor XC.1 for £650. Both ace bikes and in my opinion they look alot better than most mountain bikes with the cool frame it has.

Comment

Mine doesn't look quite as cool with me sweating like a hot beetroot after 100 metres!

Comment

Disc brakes don't stop working when you go through puddles and mud. However, the cheap cable disc brakes need constant adjustment as the cable stretches so hydraulics are the only sane option. Once in a while they still need the pistons and bores cleaned professionally.

A well set up disc brake also gives a really good feel because nothing is bending.

Comment

Arise! Just replaced the inner tyre on the Muddy Fox Courier that Watusi gave me and I'd like to find out a bit more about cleaning the damn thing (it's been in a cellar for a few months) - specifically removing the bits of rust on the wheel rims - and general maintenance, like oiling the chain, making sure brake pads are good etc.

I'm a bit of a beginner.

Anyone care to suggest owt for the above? Or a website that's a good starting place?

Cheers all.

Comment

Guess the bike!
              I recently inheritedthis bike from my dad, so I know nothing about it.
              Crisp Reckons it is GT STS something or other from my description, maybe the picture will help a bit more.

Tis a GT carbon fibre frame, has RS Ultra XL front suspensions, Tioga tyres and handle bars and it has ritchey on the inside of the front wheel rim.

Comment

without doubt an sts carbon... not sure exactly which model but as i remember the 1000/2000/3000 had the same frames but different parts.

needs a chain device, can't imagine it ever got taken off road like that, the chain would fly off with the least amount of persuasion. that there is a ****ing classic my friend, look after it well. also look the **** out as i'm in lincoln for a flying visit tomorrow and i may have to steal it off you to hang on my wall.

Comment

You can try all you like as I or the bike aren't in Lincoln today :P

Comment

ah well, it was worth a try... if you ever need parts for it, betd.co.uk still do runs every now and again, they'r pretty much the only place in teh w0rld where you'll get parts for an lts/sts.

Comment

Any Idea how much it is worth? I might need to add it to my insurance

Comment

tio be honest, it's hard to say... thing is about the early thermoplastic gt frames is they snapped with alarming regularity and thusly there's not that many examples still about and yours appears to be in really good nick. i'd be tempted to hit up singletrackworld.com and ask there for opinions, the parts on it aren't amazing by any stretch but the frame should be worth a few quid, particularly to a collector.

Comment

Bicycle Advice

Right Chaps (and chappettes), I'm looking to buy my first 2 wheeled contraption (amazing what modern technlogy can do) since I was 10 years old and had a unicyle (not really, it was a BMX).

Fast forward 17 years to me standing in a bike shop and the sales guy pimping a Specialized Globe Sport to me for the grand sum of 299.99 of ye olde English pounds.

Question is, is it worth me shelling out for? Is there another bike in this price range I should be perving over instead? (a Giant maybe?)

I'll be using it for mostly road riding and occasional park paths (no bumpy wumpy though). Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Lots of Love,

Hombre.
                          Last edited by Hombre; 03-09-2007, 09:44. Reason: Added Linky

Comment

My work is taking part in the bike to work scheme (http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/) so I'm looking for a new bike for my commute.

I have an old Trek 7300FX hybrid at the moment and it's served me well but it's hopeless for bumping up and down pavements and isn't comfy on poor surfaces. You really have to see how poor the roads are round these parts. And cycle lanes a few and far between.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement up to £800? Could stretch to £1000 but I was intending to spend the rest on new clothes etc.

Comment

I'd quite like a chunky old Amsterdam-style cruising town bike. Almost exclusively for going around London.
                              Is this sort of thing commonly available over here, and if so, is it expensive?
                              I'm having trouble Googling up any answers.

Comment

I'm looking for a bike for around £300. Will be using both on and off road. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                X