Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Election 2024 - How Will You Vote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lib Dems will win here so I get to vote for my actual preferred choice, which is nice.

Comment

I’ve often voted Tory but not this time. Aside from the usual, the incumbent MP here is really disliked. So Lib Dem probs to get him out.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

I suspect you've been a little tardy at sorting this, so if the Tories get back in, I'm blaming you.

Voting from abroad says you can use a postal vote or vote by proxy.
        According to the postal vote section, it's too late to vote by post.

An overview of voting in the UK, including voting in person, postal and proxy voting, and voting if you're abroad.

An overview of voting in the UK, including voting in person, postal and proxy voting, and voting if you're abroad.

Have a read of the proxy details, but I don't think you'll be able to vote.
        https://www.gov.uk/how-to-vote/voting-by-proxy
        I was reading yesterday that its possible to vote online as long as you can prove a current or previous resident. This system is for expats that have been away for 15 plus years. I'm going to look more in to it today.

Comment

With Labour, they may well prove me wrong, but the way I see it is they're playing things incredibly safe. They could go with a more traditional left wing set of pledges to appeal that side of the base but the two immediate issues in the room would be that they wouldn't be looking at the scale of win that they are now and it would end up being a list of lies that would end in them getting booted out in 5 years time again.

Public mistrust in Labour is poor but to be honest it's to a laughable extent. Comparably to the Tories it's based on little in scale and yet the dogged objection to considering them for many since 2010 has been one of the key factors that has led us to where we are. Labour of today might be very centre based but it would take an insane number of developments for them to be remotely comparable to the Conservatives. I never buy that they're the same as each other. Now, if Labour begins to lie in Parliament, steal billions for their friends in undelivered private contracts, they call for dead bodies in the streets, start grabbing PA bottoms in the office, Change leader every 18 months, wipe hundreds of billions off the economy multiple times purely for party politics etc etc etc then they're not remotely in the same league.

Reality is, if Labour wants voters to go along with any more left leaning policies they need to win trust by proving to be safe with the keys. They don't have much choice either given there's zero money to do anything with. Now, I'd say, if things are in a much more stable and steady position (as unsexy for the media and leftwing voters as that is) in 5 years time and they don't try to push the needle forward faster there'd be fairer criticism of the party direction.

Basically, it's the Lib Dem trap. Many like the policies of the Lib Dems, Greens etc because they appeal to their values more but those policies are what they are because those party leaders know they'll never have to deliver on them. If they actually managed to get enough share to be at the table like the Lib Dems found themselves in 2010 we've seen what happens - **** yourself over not being able to actually deliver on it.

Comment

Working...
          X