No announcement yet.

Redundant: the Find Me a Career Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have an elastic band gatling gun in my office.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
      Bumpage!

So, with everything that happened last year, I feel the time is right to start looking for something "bigger". I have really enjoyed my time at the 'Bucks after the train wreck that was my job before that but I really don't know what to do.

I'm 33 with a couple of A levels (Media Studies, Computing...barely, General Studies) and have absolutely no clue what I should be doing with my life.

I think I want out of retail. I think the mundanity of a Mon-Fri 9-5 office job might actually go some way of quieting the crazy loopiness of my mind as it will provide structure and rigidity rather than the random shift work of retail.

Can anybody suggest what I could consider doing? I look at job websites and just glaze over with the amount of options.
      Do they not have a office near maybe see if you can transfer if they do?

Comment

So who has the weirdest job on here then to see if Teddy can get any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by ETC View Post
          So who has the weirdest job on here then to see if Teddy can get any ideas?
          prinny is a fluffer.
          That's pretty weird.

Comment

well just been announced where i work there closing the call centre here in ireland so will be made redundant in november not sure how much will get but i am hoping its enough to clear my debts

Comment

Sad to hear matey, how long have you been there?

Think the minimum pay off (assuming you're in N Ireland) is 4 weeks paid notice and a weeks pay for every full year you've been there (after two years). The redundancy money is still tax free.

I believe that's all still correct. If so should be able to work out your minimum entitlement roughly. Some employers give more but bet there aren't many of those about nowadays.

Comment

southern ireland afraid been there 6 years i know last time there was redundancys was 5 weeks for every year been there but that was over 4 years ago though
                Last edited by eastyy; 14-08-2014, 15:53.

Comment

bit of a update there are still talks going on but the rumour is 4-5 weeks for every year tax free which if true great will pay off my debts

plan to take a few months off then probably start courses to get me ready for moving back to england (if anyone could say whats in demand on the uk at the moment i would be greatful)

Comment

Sooo it appears that my job is now fully in jeopardy & I am unsure how to tackle this one.

My current employer have had some financial issues over the last year that involved closing a department & letting 5 members of staff go.

My department has been busy enough to keep us afloat for well over 8 months but now it's getting tight.

The owners originally planned on selling the building (which they own) & this has gone through & new owners have started moving employees in (not the full company yet) & had allowed us to stay on while we located new rental premises.
                    This had all gone through by middle December but no news on where we were moving to.

Now yesterday they told us they have in fact sold the business to another company & we will effectively be merging with them from the beginning of February which means we need to relocate to their offices which poses my problem.
                    They are a good 40 minutes away from where we are now & I'm going to struggle to do the commute.

As you know I have Chloe who I have to look after in the mornings & get to playschool
                    Katie leaves for work at 7.20 so I have Chloe all on my own to get dressed, breakfast etc. & then drop off at Playschool for 8.50 I then manage to get myself to work for bang on 9am

My Mum & Dad take over once she finishes but they are not around in the mornings to assist meaning that this move to a new firm 40 minutes away is in no way going to work I just can't see anyway round it so I am now looking to look for a new job where we are now.

So what I'm really curious is about is how do I broach the fact that I don't want to transfer with the company?

I've never been in this situation before so it's totally alien to me.

Shame to see it go this way as I've been here 8 years & it's been an OK company to work for it that time...lately with the issues not so nice but definitely better than some places I've been.

Neil

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Soundwave.

I'm not sure about the merger options, but I'd definitely update the CV and start looking at other options, rather than just let the inevitable happen and deal with it when it happens.

Also look into other childminding options (friends with kids at the same school or professional childminders. Remember to look into childcare vouchers!) and staggered working hours because all employees have the legal right to request flexible working hours:
                      Requesting flexible working, how to make an application, what business reasons an employer can give to reject an application and how to appeal.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Neil, I thought that if a company moved/merged etc more than six miles away they had to offer redundancy/payment for the additional travelling costs. This isn't going to help you much personally, but a call to Citizens Advice or somewhere should at least clarify your rights on that.

40 minutes drive, so that's what 25 miles or more you're talking about.

QC, yes the right to ask, but if the employer says it will impact the business they can easily refuse. Has happened here before (we have various deadlines three days a week).

We're actually moving office next Monday, only two miles away, but quite a change after being in same building for over 13 years.

Do you have a HR Dept you can speak to about your concerns in confidence?

Hope it all pans outs well for you in one way or the other Neil.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Soundwave. Your best bet is to see if you are covered by TUPE - see https://www.gov.uk/transfers-takeovers/overview.

This provides a framework around what the new company is legally obliged to do when they take over your firm - your best bet is to read up a bit about this and then speak to your HR department as they will have information about this - If you don't have an HR department then could you speak to the new company? You may end up getting offered redundancy with a payout if you can't move locations for the reasons you have given.

Hope it goes well

Comment

You should also work out if you still wish to work for them / the new company somehow. i.e. because you really want to, not just because it means you don't have to look elsewhere.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate the help.

I've just had a sit down with the new owners & they have been accommodating & have offered me flexi hours but at the moment I'm trying to see what would be workable.

Standard hours are 8.30 - 5.00
                              They have also given me the choices of 9.00 - 5.30 / 9.30 - 6.00

The 9.30 is ok but that then leave Chloe with my parents until almost bedtime (Katie gets in around 6.45 so that's when handover would be) & I'd barely be home with any potential traffic on route to see her.

To be fair to them they are trying to do what they can to accommodate me as they do want the current staff to remain.

Unfortunately we have no real HR department the directors have only ever overseen what we have needed & tbh it's been very little really.

I am going to speak to my directors about my options if I don't move as I should from what the new owners seemed to think be entitled to some redundancy...whether it will amount to much or not is to be seen though.

All other things remain the exact same as the contract I'm currently on...no extra money, holiday or anything & apparently that remains that way for 24 months which is something in the agreement.

I did do a route planner early & I may have exaggerated a little with 40 minutes it's actually around 18.5miles & 30 minutes...I thought they were slightly further out then they are but still that's with no traffic on the A12 or A130

The company do seem nice enough & we did have a laugh & joke so they have helped ease my mind a little about who I'll potentially be working for.
                              Still doesn't make the choice easier though

Thanks again guys I do appreciate it all

Neil

Comment

Looking at the TUPE rules that Dave linked to will be your best bet to begin with.

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                                I am going to speak to my directors about my options if I don't move as I should from what the new owners seemed to think be entitled to some redundancy...whether it will amount to much or not is to be seen though.
                                Unless something else is written into your contact (mine that went to HP had one month pay per year worked!), I believe you should be offered the standard redundancy payment (one week per year worked) assuming you've been there two years, if you choose not to move.
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X