Redundant: the Find Me a Career Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    Looking at the TUPE rules that Dave linked to will be your best bet to begin with.

Unless something else is written into your contact (mine that went to HP had one month pay per year worked!), I believe you should be offered the standard redundancy payment (one week per year worked) assuming you've been there two years, if you choose not to move.
    I have been looking through the TUPE rules & on the CAB website but I can't seem to find any classification for what classes as an acceptable reason to refuse the new job & if I just refuse to take it I'll lose any Redundancy pay I may be entitled too.

I do have a list of reasons to refuse so far...

Distance from current employment location is over 15 miles further
    No pay increase for additional travel
    Childcare issues not being to come to acceptable working times that suit both myself & my new employers (I'm not expecting them to give me everything & I don't want to be seen as getting special treatment because of Chloe but the flexi hours still don't work because of the distance I still have to travel meaning I'm still home far later than I am currently)
    Being expected to work an extra 30 mins each day with no additional (my hours are currently 9-5 new employers standard hrs are 8.30-5)

I feel I have enough there to have reasonable grounds to refuse the new offer & be entitled to redundancy but I'm not sure.

I'm going to try to get hold of the CAB if I can today & see if I have grounds to take redundancy

Thanks again all

Neil

Comment

Yes, I'd definitely speak to CAB and clarify your concerns.

My brother's fianc?e recently went through a relocation and chose not to move because of the first two reasons you listed (in her case, it was an additional 30 miles!). She left early and didn't get any redundancy because she found a new job. If she had stuck it out till the bitter end right before the move and thus been "let go" due to not wanting to move, she would have been offered standard one week pay per year. So that's why I believe you should be offered redundancy if you chose not to move. But as I said, speak to CAB to get their advice.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Just a quick update on my situation.

Spoke with the directors yesterday & they were entirely understanding & sympathetic to my situation so I will be taking redundancy as of the end of the month when the change over is due to take place.

As I said previously we do not have a HR department so they use outside consultancy for this & from here it all gets handed over to them & I now wait to see when they will be in to do the interviews forms etc.

They did mention that I should be entitled to redundancy pay & something for the lieu of notice but how much this amounts to is beyond me.

I have started the process of looking for a new job & have had a few agencies contact me so hopefully something will pan out & I won't need to fall back on the payout.

Thanks again all for the advice it's been appreciated.

Neil

Comment

Good luck Neil.

My place of work has gone to hell in the last few months. I really need a new job too. Working for the man really does suck.

Comment

Neil, from my limited knowledge, you should be entitled to a minimum of four weeks paid notice, then a weeks pay for each full year you've worked there as the redundancy payment (the redundancy bit is tax free).

Good luck to you and Wakka finding new employment, I know first hand what it can be like working in a job you really dislike

Comment

Think the redundancy payment is tax free for the first ?30k from the employer and the government payment is capped at ?14k or thereabouts.

Best of luck Neil.

Comment

Every time I see the thread title I think the thread itself has been marked as redundant because the OP eventually got a job

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Good luck Neil.

My place of work has gone to hell in the last few months. I really need a new job too. Working for the man really does suck.
                  Thanks man.

Yeah it does indeed suck but if I could ever decide what I want to be when I grow up or find something I could do myself then it has to be unfortunately

Originally posted by VR46 View Post
                  Neil, from my limited knowledge, you should be entitled to a minimum of four weeks paid notice, then a weeks pay for each full year you've worked there as the redundancy payment (the redundancy bit is tax free).

Good luck to you and Wakka finding new employment, I know first hand what it can be like working in a job you really dislike
                  Interesting.
                  Based on that then I could be on for around 3 months money (Been here for 8 years back in December 2015)

Thanks man, hopefully won't be out of it too long.

Originally posted by Ampanman View Post
                  Think the redundancy payment is tax free for the first ?30k from the employer and the government payment is capped at ?14k or thereabouts.

Best of luck Neil.
                  Lol don't think I'll be anywhere close to either of those amounts

Thanks buddy

Been contacted today & trying to line up first interview so things are on the move already, fingers crossed it's a nice place.

Neil

Comment

Good luck Neil. I asked my boss if he could make me redundant yesterday at my eond-of-year review. He was a bit shocked!

After the company offered me a role in Singaporebut then refused to pay me even what I'm earning in London (in a much more expensive city - and with three kids to privately educate; state schools are now much harder for well-paid foreigners to get their kids into and rightly so), I had to say no. Now I'm left in a position that whilst workable and not unpleasant is a step down from my last role and I'll not be able to achieve my career goals in. Two other positions have been offered in London, but one's a definite no-no with a sociopathic back-stabber for a manager, the other is so far out of the cutting edge as to be a near backwater and less likely for me to gain promotion or decent wage gains.

Unusually for me, I'm feeling in the mood to take some risks, so we'll see what 2016 has in store....

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                      I have started the process of looking for a new job & have had a few agencies contact me so hopefully something will pan out & I won't need to fall back on the payout.
                      Neil
                      Hope you find something soon fella, sometimes moving on can be a good thing, you could be in a new job before you know it and have a nice bit of money banked at the same time... Rooting for you

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                        Every time I see the thread title I think the thread itself has been marked as redundant because the OP eventually got a job
                        I've been unemployed ever since

(not really)

Comment

Redundant is a terrible word for it.

Comment

Quick update.

Had my first interview last night, went well but I didn't get good vibes from the company or how they operate (although it's doing the same job it seems totally alien to me) so not sure I'll take it if I do get offered it.

I have a few more agencies looking out for me & I'm meeting some girls at lunch today with that I deal with in the current job almost weekly so will see if they have anything in their place that I could be considered for.

Our outsourced HR are coming in tomorrow as well to discuss my redundancy so should know by the end of the day what I'll get.

Neil

Comment

Well had my Redundancy interview tomorrow & all confirmed as of next Friday I am officially unemployed.

I am getting a Redudancy package in the form of...

8 Weeks Pay
                              5 Weeks Lieu of Notice

All in all not a horrendous package by any stretch of the imagination I just need to find something so that I can hopefully bank a portion of it.

It feels really weird to know that in a little over a week I will be unemployed for the first time since 2003.

Hope it won't be for long

Neil

Comment

Don't spend all your redundancy package on Masterpiece Transformers, statues and steelbooks!

Comment

Working...
                                X