No announcement yet.

Redundant: the Find Me a Career Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My advice is stay away from any building trade and finanacial sector related business.

I work in the Job Centre and its a never ending stream of most trades, financial advisors,sales, retail, factory workers who cant get work.

There is no work for them either so IT sounds like a good idea but nothing is safe right now, the DWP has started its biggest recruitment drive in the last 20 years - including management level - to cope with this recession.

At least another year before we get to end of it.....

Comment

I also got made redundant last week from my job in Dubai. On the plus side i now don't have to go back there again 3 years there almost sent me insane. The thought of staying in Blighty never felt so good, (Stroppy will know where i am coming from with that remark).

The only problem i have is that the missus is still there as she is teaching until July and I don't like her being there on her own (tho she is on a complex with other teachers). I was going to go back to contract for a few months until July, but its just not worth it as i will be in the same boat then as i am now trying to find a new job back here.

She has accepted a mega job back here for next September so i am better off getting settled here before she returns. I may have to go back to help pack our stuff tho.

Only problem is i don't want to go back as an IT manager or back into IT in general. I f*cking hate IT, its boring.

I'm 38 and would like to do something else but not sure if i am too old. I started as a Civil Engineer before i got into IT but have been out of that for over 10 years so can't realistically go back into that. I have been looking at going into Civils (Construction) health and safety for something different. Anyone know anything about that. If push comes to shove i will go back into IT but i just want to see whats otherwise available to me before i do.

Comment

Buster, what's it like being in the Navy? I've always quite fancied the forces and the Navy.

Comment

Originally posted by StuM82 View Post
          Buster, what's it like being in the Navy? I've always quite fancied the forces and the Navy.
          Well, I hear you get to sail the seven seas, and in addition, put your mind at ease. So that's nice.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
            Well, I hear you get to sail the seven seas, and in addition, put your mind at ease. So that's nice.
            Lol... and you get to...Go West
            Last edited by NemesiS; 10-03-2009, 17:26.

Comment

Originally posted by StuM82 View Post
              its fine - i've being doing the job now for nearly 18.5 years

depending on your qualifications you could joined as a senior yardie (Officer) and you get well looked after

wages are generally quite good, youngsters are on around £16,000 after basic training, which increases every year with pay increases and cost of living increase

middle management get around £35,000 plus travelling expenses depending on where you live in the country which can top up your wages by over £4000 a year

The Navy doesnt generally visit as many places as they used to, but you get to visit some interesting places, for example i've had a swim in the Panama canal and played football at the South pole

nowadays its a career that can be lucrative and even during these dark times its a career for life unless you feck up or you end up being a sickbay ranger (me )

Also when i retire in less than four years i will be drawing a full pension from the age of 40, u do you get looked after

but....... if i had to pimp a service it would be the RAF, as i'm a little jealous of the amount of time they get with their families. The navy can be tough on young families

Comment

Originally posted by Unwell Cat View Post
                This was the only redundancy thread I could fine so just wanted to have a little rant.

Went into the office today, company meeting called 60 out of 90 people laid off including me and my entire team.... They should have waited until Friday 13th to do it...

Anyway I'm pissed off, fed up etc. The wife's in tears and everything is ****.

Oh well, tomorrows another day. If anybody knows somebody who needs an IT Director / Manager drop me a PM.
                Well I thought I would give you all an update. In the last two weeks I've had 4 interviews and today I had my second interview for one of the four and I been offered the job...Head of IT for a non departmental government body dealing with Pensions for 55K + 20% bonus.(hurrah)....!

It's in central London (nr London Bridge) so it's about a 1hr 40 commute each way but it's a job I actually want to do so Im not to concerned about the travel as I currently commute just over an hour anyway. I've even got two more interviews lined up next week that I now don't need.

One piece of advice of would give (and it's an obvious one) is the CV. I sent out an initial CV and had no responses at all. So I sat down restructured and rewrote it and within a week I had the four interviews mentioned above lined up.

Anyway for those of you like me who have just lost their jobs keep plugging away. There are jobs out there even if you have to chase recruiters every day.

Comment

Jesus, I'll never earn that much.

I'm not prepared to commute 1hr 40 either, thats over 3hrs a day

I think I'd rather just kill myself

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                    Jesus, I'll never earn that much.

I'm not prepared to commute 1hr 40 either, thats over 3hrs a day

I think I'd rather just kill myself
                    It's a pretty common commute to be honest from the South Coast into London. One the bright side it's by train rather than driving.

Comment

I've written myself off as 'unemployable'

A few years of IT experience under my belt, a degree in computing etc, yet I'm still too scared to apply for most 20k+ IT jobs because of the harrowing job descriptions. Plus I'm not too confident of my abilities so usually some self loving wide boy who I could run circles around gets the money instead.

Christ I've been out of work almost 1.5yrs now, I don't apply for as much as I should be, but apathy sets in after a while, and questioning your own abilities.

Comment

A few years of IT experience under my belt, a degree in computing etc, yet I'm still too scared to apply for most 20k+ IT jobs because of the harrowing job descriptions. Plus I'm not too confident of my abilities so usually some self loving wide boy who I could run circles around gets the money instead.

Christ I've been out of work almost 1.5yrs now, I don't apply for as much as I should be, but apathy sets in after a while, and questioning your own abilities.
                        Don't put yourself down mate and don't be put off by the job specs. Most job specs are a wish list (I know, I've written enough of them). As long as you meet some of the requirements you should be ok to apply for the role.

By the way the self loving wide boys nearly always get caught out in the end. Usually when the **** hits the fan and services / networks are down. That's the point when you either know what your doing or you dont.

Comment

Cheers, I might just start saying fook it and applying to things outside my comfort zone. who knows right.

Comment

Yep, agree with Unwell cat. They are a wish list. Think about it, most adverts want prospective applicants to be experts in SQL, Exchange, AD, Server TS'ing, VMWare, Unix, Networking, Cisco, blah blah blah, all for the princely sum of £20k a year. Lol.
                            Also bear in mind that most job descriptions are written by recruiters who haven't a clue what they are talking about. They use buzz words like: msce, mcsa, ccna, AD etc. They haven't the foggiest idea about what they relate to, they only know what the acronyms stand for

If you were an expert in just Exchange, you could command £40k+ minimum, never mind all the other bull****.

Your not going to be expected to know everything cos if you did, you wouldn't be going for a £20k job interview.

Whenever i have interviewed for techies or engineers i tend to look for enthusiasm and a sense of commitment from them. First impressions for me count more than anything and if they come across in the interview with concise answers to questions without nervously blabbing too much (because you can talk yourself out of a job), that shows that they have at least taken the time to practice. KISS=Keep it simple stupid. Don't elaborate if you don't have too unless it will be to the point and is relevant.

I don't tend to worry too much about the applicants qualifications as there are too many bookworms out there who couldn't put their knowledge to practical application. I would always employ someone who came across as down to earth and showed passion and a willingness to learn for the job offered.

But as i posted the other day tho, i have had enough of IT now and i know i will never earn the money over here that i was getting in Dubai.

I'm just gonna kick back for a while, play some games, and do f*ck all for a few months. I am also going to get plans for a loft conversion and do the house up when the tenant leaves.

I seriously do not relish going back into office work as i find it insanely boring and monotonous and most of the people (not all) who do office work and have never done anything else usually have a particular mindset and develop certain personality traits and petty idiosyncrasies which you don't get with people who work outside, that i have found anyway.

It was a culture shock for me after working as a civil engineer on site and i have had enough now. Dubai just provided the final nail for me to do something else ....Hopefully "groans inwardly at the thought of another job in IT"

Comment

Thats good to know, I will take it on board and start throwing applications out I think.

Can't harm can it

Comment

Thats good to know, I will take it on board and start throwing applications out I think.

Can't harm can it
                                Your best bet is to take any job right now, just for a couple of months or so at least working in a bar or a supermarket or something like that. Alot of employers will question the almost 2 year gap between now and your last job and you'll struggle to find "proper" work with that in mind. Do anything for 2-3 months and then sign up with an agency until something bigger comes your way.

Comment

Working...
                                X