No announcement yet.

Just passed my driving test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for cheap insurence try www.quinn-secure.com they just got mine down to ?500

Comment

Congrats! I passed October 06, 2nd try. I now drive a 1.0 Toyota Yaris. Insurance is something like ?1190. Norwich union (I'm 18 btw)

haha

Comment

Whoa, car insurance there is freaking expensive, isn't it? I pay less than £500 with a brand new car and everything included (legal assistance, arson, theft, glasses and so on).

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
          Whoa, car insurance there is freaking expensive, isn't it? I pay less than ?500 with a brand new car and everything included (legal assistance, arson, theft, glasses and so on).
          im 17 got it down from the cheapest ive found so far of 1300

Comment

Been learning to drive for what seems like years. Over the last few months I've ramped it up some what 'cause I just wanna get it out the way.
            2 hour lesson a week at 42 quid a pop. >_<
            I'm hoping to book my test when I come back from my hols. I'll be 22 then. I'll still get raped for insurance though. This thread is making me depressed.

Comment

My insurance was never cheap. I'm now 26 though with an eight year old licence and no points so it might be a lot cheaper now.... if I was suicidal enough to actually want another car that is.

Comment

I past back in Oct, first time but failed the one where you use your brain (theory) first time around.

I've not bought a Car yet because my job is insecure and gaming is an expensive hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by BeyondJumpFish View Post
                  Well done! I falled my forth not long ago so i'll be having another stab at it soon. They make it way to hard!
                  When does the time come that you think driving just isn't for you? Or anyone that's failed a few times?

I'm 27 now and still insure my car in my girlfriends name with me as a named driver, saves a fortune that way, problem is I don't get any no claims. I have motorbike no claims though which is more important to me.

Comment

Ok major bump, about 18 months ago i did 30 x 2 hour lessons, was at test standard and ready to go, things happened and it never materialised to finish my theory/practical, what would you guys suggest to finish learning how to drive? Ive set myself a limit of 2 months to get it fully out of the way, i am completely confident in my driving, ive had a car for the last 18 months, and up until 4 months ago was still driving now and again with family, to keep up the practice. I have also been driving a forklift for 9 months (not that it really counts), so suggest away, ive looked at the intense courses, but they want near &#163;1000 for it, i was looking at a budget of &#163;500 to get completely done. ive looked at BSM and AA to continue my lessons, but would they expect me to start again? or just let me drive and judge from there??

Thanks for all the help

Aaron

Comment

Of course they wont expect you to start again, most schools will give you your one hour trial or whatever it is to access you then they normaly give you a rough guide what you need ?500 should be more than enough as it only cost me about ?600 for everything so you should be fine just give them a call and see what they say.

Comment

i had loads of lessons...but then the tests took ages for to pop up so got lax.....failed.....then got a few lessons retook and passed it

Here in ireland bit different i imagine though...cos about 35 euro for a hours lessons

Comment

think i payed about ?17 an hour which wasnt to bad as i had a good nstructer, yea normally about an 8 week waiting list but you can change it 3 times so if you go on the dvla website daily you can normally get one with in a week so not to bad

Comment

Odd timing as I passed my test exactly one year ago. It was in Japan though so a bit different but basically the same. I failed my UK test in '92 and never took it again, which always nagged at me. I was too nervous back in those days, and the test was hard, though the theory part was rather simple. I am glad I am not 17 today.

From memory, you have to do reversing around a corner. Is that essentially reverse parking then? Three point turns and parallel parking on the road, plus emergency stops. The UK test is a toughie.

Comment

I was super worried about my test and kept putting it off cos I thought I wasn't good enough. In the end my instructor forced me into taking it. I couldn't believe how easy it was. Unfortunately I made a tiny mistake right near the end and failed but I came away from it knowing I could do it and couldn't wait until I could try it again. Had to wait three months but I passed second time.

As long as you know your manoeuvres, make sure to check your mirrors frequently and before doing anything and be careful you should be fine.

Comment

I passed first time four years ago but haven't been driving properly until six months ago. Driving is the most fun thing you can do on the ground. The only thing better for me would be flying a plane!

Originally posted by Tommy Verceti View Post
                                My bro says he'll give me a few pointers b4 I get in an instructors car.
                                I'm just ****ting myself because I can be a bit indecisive in life & am worried I'll keep this up when I'm driving i.e. when overtaking or at junctions etc.
                                I'm not too sure whether getting in your bro's car is a good idea or not. If you feel nervous with him then don't assume it'll be like that with the instructor because it definitely won't.

For me, I was too worried about doing damage to my bro's car whereas with the instructor a) they're properly insured for learner drivers and b) they have the extra pedals which means you'll always know they can still correct your mistakes up to a point. As I hadn't driven for the four years since passing my test, I took a few refresher lessons (literally two) as I was so nervous but being told by an instructor that you're good is a load off your shoulders, whereas it's not the same if friends/family say it as it's too subjective.

I'm also indecisive, and I used to get so worried about the amount of information you need to process while driving but after a while that just melts away and it all becomes second nature. My main problems come when driving with my parents as they'll start saying things that ruin my driving rhythm (really dumb things like 'keep an eye on those cars over there' which, while driving, I'm obviously doing, but when told about them it confuses me momentarily), but when I'm alone or with friends I'm more on the ball.

I find the music helps, as I get to listen to what I want. Sega Rally and Daytona music is ace! I find certain songs help me concentrate better and stay alert while driving - Daft Punk for inner-city driving, Fleetwood Mac for the country roads

Originally posted by Richard.John View Post
                                From memory, you have to do reversing around a corner. Is that essentially reverse parking then? Three point turns and parallel parking on the road, plus emergency stops. The UK test is a toughie.
                                Reversing around the corner is exactly what it sounds like. You just have to make sure the car is hugging the corner of the pavement and keep an eye out for any cars nearby.

For me, the trick to passing the test was shed-loads of observation. My parallel park in the test was the worst one I've ever done in my life (I'm still crap at it now, I never do it) but I kept looking around throughout so it was ok. I got to chatting to the examiner during the test about how to try fixing his laptop which really calmed me down. Before hitting a roundabout I indicated right and got into the right lane but of course my indicator turned off and I carried on going but he said it was ok because I was in the right lane so it was clear what my intent was.
                                Last edited by randombs; 02-04-2009, 14:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X