No announcement yet.

Just passed my driving test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I meant was what is the point of reversing around a corner? What does it prove? Is it just to show that you can back in to parking space if needed?

Parallel parking is a joke though. I never even try and attempt it, unless I have a lot of space, as I am too scared to whack the other car or the kerb.

Comment

You should try living in my street only way to get a parking space is to parallel park, not fun

Comment

I thought reversing round a corner was in case you need to change direction or maybe park there, yeah. I have done it once so far while driving to park, and I giggled to myself about how it was a pretty weird manoeuvre to be tested on.

Comment

It's a change of direction whilst in reverse so essentially parking practice, I think. Most in the UK drive head in though, when parking. I read anyway.

Anyway, now that I am bored, and it was one year ago today that I managed it, I will explain how to obtain a Japanese driving licence, just for comparison.

Firstly, you can drive a car when you are eighteen, a 50cc moped at sixteen. No provisional licence here, as you first have to earn your temporary licence, on a closed course, before they will even let you on the road. The first stage in order to get your 'temporary' requires 10 hours of classroom instruction and 15 hours of closed course driving. A practical and a 50Q written test awaits at the end.

If you pass those you can go to stage two which is on the road, and requires 16 hours of classroom instruction (including CPR training) and 19 hours of practical driving. Once again, a practical and 100Q written test awaits if you are up to scratch. These are legal minimum requirement so if you are ****e, it will take longer. That's the main difference between the UK and Japan, in the sense that you can't just slap on L plates and drive around with your dad, in order to pass. You have to have a minimum of professional instruction, before they will even let you take a test. Unsurprisingly then, the whole system is something of a racket, as you have to cough up big money in order to get a licence.

Also, even though you have a choice, 95% of new drivers choose Automatic limited licences. Seems odd but as the vast majority of cars sold in Japan are automatics, it make sense. Unlike the UK and EU, manual is the option here not standard, and the base and cheapest cars always feature slush boxes as standard. Automatics are considered to be the norm here.

In regards to the final test, you don't have to do a turn in the road (streets are too narrow) or emergency stop, but either parallel parking or a change of direction whilst reversing (parking) are required.

Comment

What about if you already hold a UK driving license?

Comment

Then it's just a case of getting an official translation of your license into Japanese (and English if vice versa), correct me if I'm wrong here?

Comment

Yep, that's right. In my case I only hold a UK provisional so had to start the process from scratch.

Comment

Ooh wicked. I'm planning on popping down there this summer for a bit of reccy (going to English language centres etc) as I want to start teaching English there. I'm gonna do my Tefl here first with a friend to give me something concrete. Hopefully I'll graduate in July (my exams finish in June) but I'm thinking if I stay there for a year or so I'd probably be interested in at least driving a bit, if only to fulfil my Wangan/Tokyo Highway Battle/Initial D fantasies

Comment

To be safe, apply for a International Driving Permit first in Blighty, and then you can drive for up to one year in Japan before needing to convert to a Japanese licence. You cannot legally drive in Japan without either an IDP or a Japanese licence. Also, another risk is if the police stop you and feel that you are not a tourist as you have an alien registration card, but haven't converted to a Japanese licence, they might deem it as illegal driving (in spite of your IDP) due to your residency. Not sure how likely that is but still....

Japan does not reciprocate the agreement with the UK, you see, allowing licence holders to drive freely in either country. Typical Japanese BS as they can drive freely in the UK for up to one year, without the need for an IDP, before converting but you can't unless you hold either of the above.

Wangan battles might sound great but don't use Tokyo Drift as a guide, it's not like that. And the police will chase you if you go over 180kph!!!!
                    Last edited by Richard.John; 04-04-2009, 06:56.

Comment

Congratualtions on passing your test mate.

Comment

I'm looking at taking my driving test soon (just found out there's a test center in my town which is ultra ultra handy). In general I'm pretty confident at driving (been putting off the test because the other test centers involve hellish Crawley roundabouts or endless hill starts in Brighton). Thinking about it makes me ultra nervous though.

Few things I'm worried about: emergency braking. Never actually practiced this; is it a case of slamming on the brakes or just hard braking? Clutch down from the start or just before the car stalls?

Parallel parking: am I right to assume they're not likely to make you go between two cares in tighish spaces?

Lastly, how long do they last, website says ~40mins, does that include the basic mechanics stuff and numberplate reading? Does the time shoot by or is it a slow hell?

Comment

For the emergency stop: they won't make you do the stop at speed, so you'll be doing thirty at most and stop almost instantly. Both at once to make sure you don't stall should serve you fine (It's what I did... twice.)

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                            I'm looking at taking my driving test soon (just found out there's a test center in my town which is ultra ultra handy). In general I'm pretty confident at driving (been putting off the test because the other test centers involve hellish Crawley roundabouts or endless hill starts in Brighton). Thinking about it makes me ultra nervous though.

Few things I'm worried about: emergency braking. Never actually practiced this; is it a case of slamming on the brakes or just hard braking? Clutch down from the start or just before the car stalls?

Parallel parking: am I right to assume they're not likely to make you go between two cares in tighish spaces?

Lastly, how long do they last, website says ~40mins, does that include the basic mechanics stuff and numberplate reading? Does the time shoot by or is it a slow hell?
                            You live in Burgess Hill?

E-Stops, I can't actually remember. Think they teach brake and clutch straight away but get proper opinion on that.

I didn't do parking on my test but I never had to practice it in a small space. It'll be a big gap I'm sure, they're not trying to fail you after all.

Test is around 30-40 from memory. A lot's probably changed since I did it mind! It includes everything and it tends to shoot by. Book for a busy time so you get stuck in traffic was alwasy the tip, sounds like a stupid idea to me!

Comment

Burgess Hill for the mediocre chavvish small town win!

I've been getting wildly differing views on use of the clutch with braking. My mum insists last moment (and the examiner will 'feel' if it's engaged) but most other people say clutch down (it's an auto fail stalling on the e-stop isn't it?).

Will probably book it tonight when I can confirm there'll be someone to drive me to it (would like to do it in my own car rather than an instructors).

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                                Burgess Hill for the mediocre chavvish small town win!

I've been getting wildly differing views on use of the clutch with braking. My mum insists last moment (and the examiner will 'feel' if it's engaged) but most other people say clutch down (it's an auto fail stalling on the e-stop isn't it?).

Will probably book it tonight when I can confirm there'll be someone to drive me to it (would like to do it in my own car rather than an instructors).
                                I have the misfortune of working in the 'hill

I think it's a fail if you lock the brakes and skid. I seem to remember that stalling is OK so long as you re-start and move off safely afterwards. You'll be told to get to 30 and then stop when the hand goes down onto dash. As '45 says it'll stop so fast that it wont be an issue.

Sounds like you've had lessons before? Not for a while though? Can you really remember all the little things that the examiner will be looking for? Maybe a quick refresher lesson (or finding someone that's just passed - anyone on here?) would help for definitive advice?

Comment

Working...
                                X