Just passed my driving test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had lessons but it's been a while.

Been driving my dad around for practice since then.

Comment

Hey all, has anyone taken any advanced driving courses, such as joining the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists)? I've just got a BMW and am afraid I'll crash it into a wall soon enough, and was thinking something like this would help with insurance costs.

In case anyone thinks it's not worth it, let's assume for the sake of argument that money's not an issue, just whether I'll learn anything valuable that I wouldn't have from just driving around normally (or quicker than the experience gained driving normally)

Comment

Booked my test now. It's in mid december so I've a bit of time to get things right.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
          Booked my test now. It's in mid december so I've a bit of time to get things right.
          Tell me the time and date and I'll stay off the roads of Burgess Hill

As for the IAM stuff, not done it but surely learning more from proper instructors is a good thing if you have the time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
            Hey all, has anyone taken any advanced driving courses, such as joining the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists)? I've just got a BMW and am afraid I'll crash it into a wall soon enough, and was thinking something like this would help with insurance costs.
            Concentrate on staying on the road Don't look at the wall - look at the road leading away from the wall.

IAM instruction is good - they will teach you common sense things that you might not think of yourself. If you have money to spare, try taking your motorbike license direct access - it will make you a better driver.

If you want to avoid crashing, drive more slowly. Corners: Slow in, fast out. If you can't stop in the distance you can see (e.g. round a corner) then you will eventually crash.

Comment

lol thanks. It seems to me you'll just get some books and then a test once you're ready for £139 or two half-day 1-to-1 intensive lessons with an IAM instructor and the test for £400-odd

Comment

Extremely late to the party. Passed my test last Monday and will be picking up my first car up this coming Monday! I learned automatic. Reason being that I found I would concentrate more on the gear changes becoming worried that I was neglecting my surroundings. After learning in manual, I had a long hiatus.

After becoming a father at Christmas, I decided to go automatic. Well, here I am. Excited about the life changing times of having a car.

My first car will be a 57 reg Volkswagen Polo 1.4 S in "Reflex Silver" Any good?

Comment

Congrats

Can I have a lift to the shops?

Comment

Sure hop in...

Comment

Congratulations, Hoolak.

Comment

Thanks mate.

Comment

Congrat mate

I had my first lesson today even though i've had a provisional since 1990, can't wait to get back behind the wheel.

Out of interest, how much is the insurance on that polo?

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius View Post
                            Congrat mate

I had my first lesson today even though i've had a provisional since 1990, can't wait to get back behind the wheel.

Out of interest, how much is the insurance on that polo?
                            Yeah, I'm absolutely loving being able to drive around.

My insurance was ust over a grand. Would of been more, but it seemed to go down the more people I put on it.

Comment

Congrats for passing your test Hoolak.

Comment

Congrats Hoolak!

Just a word of warning though, my Golf is 'Reflex Silver' and it pics up dirt and gets filthy very quickly Don't be shy with the bucket and sponge!

Comment

Working...
                                X