X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really? Do tell - what's my reasoning?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      In fairness, they didn't cause someone to take their kids.
      It's right there, 4 posts above.
      Last edited by Oh_Mutants; 20-05-2007, 21:48.

Comment

That's not reasoning. It's a statement of fact.

Edit: Actually, that's not true. It's a statement of the facts as we know them at the moment. If, in fact, one of the parents sold their child, set up a kidnapping or murder or something similar, then they would indeed have caused it. Nobody yet seems to be suggesting that however.
        Last edited by Dogg Thang; 20-05-2007, 20:49.

Comment

Oh right. Well that's okay, isn't it? I mean, it would have been rude not to steal one of their children.
          Of course it's not okay, but for goodness sake, the plain and simple truth is that if they hadn't left their THREE children ALONE, then this would never have happened. No, it's not a green light to allow one of them to be kidnapped but had they just used common sense as a parent it would never have happened.

Seriously, who leaves their children alone for a night out? Let alone all three. I'm not condemning them, I pray the little girl is okay but to be honest, the guilt they will (and to be honest, should) be feeling right now (and if she's not safely returned, for the rest of their lives) will be punishment enough for me.

I can't even begin to imagine the guilt they must be feeling right now, god if anything ever happened to one of my two boys due to my negligence I'd never forgive myself and would be tortured for the rest of my life...but then the difference is, my children ALWAYS come first, always take precedence over my fun and enjoyment.

Comment

If, in fact, one of the parents sold their child, set up a kidnapping or murder or something similar, then they would indeed have caused it. Nobody yet seems to be suggesting that however.
            Now you're talking. This calls for...

Comment

Jebus, I'm not disputing that. I did say they were negligent, did I not?

But what seems to be getting a little lost in this is that some bastard nabbed a child.

As for who does this, you should check my post on the first page. I certainly wouldn't do it but people are doing it. Yeah, it's not a good idea. But when all the talk is on 'how could parents leave their child alone?' and not 'how could some sicko steal a kid?', it would seem to me that something is a little skewed. Like it's accepted that the latter behaviour is normal, so the former must be demonised.

Edit: Good call on the Father Dowling! Richie's Dad will get to the bottom of this in no time.

Comment

Unfortunately though, nobody has caught the sick bastard that has done this. Of COURSE they should be punished (for me the punishment should be : the criminal + the parents + locked door, no windows) but that also doesn't excuse the fact the parents have been negligent and put their three children at risk for absolutely no damn reason other than they wanted a night out.

Comment

But i think everyone knows there are a certain number of sick bastards in the world, who nab children... we've seen/heard about it in the media so many times before. The big difference here is that this occured, essentially as a result of, blatant negligence on behalf of the parents. Therefore that is seen as the real story here, it is something people can relate to/talk about .. 'would you leave your three year old alone?'' etc
                  It hasn't helped the parents' case either the way that they have conducted themselves in the media spotlight.
                  Last edited by Oh_Mutants; 20-05-2007, 21:05.

Comment

Leaving your kids alone is a seriously dumb move. It's serious negligence, no doubt. It was a bad mistake and one these parents have had to pay far too high a price for. If you have never made a bad choice in your life, well done to you.

There is a world of difference between a bad mistake and the active criminal intent that it takes to steal a child. Just as there is a world of difference between being dumb enough to leave your car unlocked and the criminal intent to steal it.

You're absolutely right, Mutants, on the talk and the story thing. Totally. I think part of that is trying to convince ourselves that we'd never do something like that. Few of us have the urge to steal a child so it's not really a situation we'd get into and, so, not something we relate to. You're right about that I think. As for how they've conducted themselves, you could also be right about that - to be honest I haven't actually read anything they've said. I've just read the main reports on the BBC site.

Comment

For this to grab so much media spotlight, so much public attention, so much coverage......something else is going on whilst our eyes are fixed on a missing girl.

Maybe soon it will be suggested we microchip our young for safety? Maybe Gordon Brown is passing laws whilst we are not looking? I may seem cynical but I can't think of any other reason for so much coverage. It seems like we are being force feed this, most people seem to be along the lines of 'I feel for them but why so much coverage for these people? what makes them special?'

One of my mates said he was interested because she looks like such a sweet kid. I tore him apart of course by saying if she was an ugly child would she not be a news worthy? there in lies the real question.....if she were another race/class of child we would this be news? If her parents were from another background would the media cover it so much?

Comment

You have a point, i think probably not. Also, if it had been a working class family who'd gone for a piss up (or god forbid, a non-Brit) down the pub, and not a 'nice middle class couple' i'm sure the media would've taken a much harsher stance with the family.
                        I agree that we seem to be being force fed this too, are the media simply so wrong in their judgement of the level of public interest, or do they have another agenda?

Comment

As for how they've conducted themselves, you could also be right about that - to be honest I haven't actually read anything they've said. I've just read the main reports on the BBC site.
                          I'd suggest you go and pick up a copy of yesterdays NotW and see exactly how the parents are conducting themselves - publishing diaries of "a day in the life" - As terrible as it will sound I actually wonder about the true motives of the parents.

Todays Sky News headline "Mccanns will stay in Portugal until Maddie is found"

Who's paying for that ? I'll tell you - Us via this sickening "fund" the newspapers have accrued - either that or the NotW/Sun will be footing the bill.

It sums up just about all that's wrong with societies "me first" mentality these days.

Comment

I see there are calls to have a one minute silence - truly mind boggling - there are so many of these now that it's lost any true significant meaning anymore.

Comment

Said on the radio this morning that the Madeliene's Dad is back in the UK today.

Don't forget they have two other kids, I guessed they were trying to keep life as normal as possible for them (I've not read the NOTW article)

Comment

well think obviously its very sad

of course its whoever took her that deserves to be punished

the parents though they made a really dumb mistake and i reckon there really regretting it now and they will learn from there mistakes.....thing is it is a pretty major mistake.......the only plus is hopefully it will cause other parents to become more vigilante

the police though struck me as being incompetent

Comment

Working...
                                X