Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, there have been reports of people blowing their allowance unexpectedly after the upgrade and then finding the setting and it calming down. It should have been an option, not a default....

Comment

Originally posted by BaronSqwelch View Post
      Just preordered the Nexus 5X.
      My 5 has served me well for 2 years but the non working earphone socket (and the fact I constantly forget to carry my Bluetooth dongle) means it is time to upgrade! Was quick enough to get a black one this time too.
      Don't know how I feel about the Nexus 5X.

My Nexus 5 has served me well as a more than capable back up phone and stand-in daily driver after the death of my iPhone 4, but I swore a long time ago that 5" phones were the absolute limit for me size-wise (partly why I'm going for an 4.7" iPhone 6s).

Not keen on the idea of any phone over 5" - that is phablet territory as far as I'm concerned. The Nexus 5X is 5.2". Probably goes without saying that I'd need to have one in my hand to get a feel for it before anything else.

[MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION], what say you about the new Nexuses?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        5" were the absolute limit for me size-wise.
        Probably goes without saying that I'd need to have one in my hand to get a feel for it before anything else.
        Titter!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Titter!
          Oh, do behave!

Shout-out for the sh1t editing of my actual words in your quote too, you pleb! :P
          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 01-10-2015, 09:11.

Comment

I like them. I don't think 5.2" would be too big for me, either, although 5.7" might be pushing it. In terms of aesthetics I do feel the Nexus 5 was a bit more distinctive with its curved top and bottom and circular speaker hole on the front - the new one looks a bit more generic which is kind of a shame.

?299 from Carphone Warehouse for the 5X which I think is pretty good value though, especially if you favour stock Android (as I do).

The 6P I actually think looks really cool, I like the metal and the black bar on the back for the cameras/sensors/radios I reckon looks pretty dope! At ?450 it isn't bad value either if that's the size of phone you want.

The 5X could be let down by having the same battery as the N5 in it though. It's a pretty crap battery.

Really I think it comes down to how much you care about having stock Android. If I was going to buy a phone to replace my N5 (I'm not, barring anything bad happening to it), I'd probably get one of the new Nexuses. And honestly, probably the 5X since it's ?150 cheaper and not unnecessarily large. I don't really need a massive phone as I use my iPad for everything when I'm at home and my computer for anything vaguely work related.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              I like them. I don't think 5.2" would be too big for me, either, although 5.7" might be pushing it. In terms of aesthetics I do feel the Nexus 5 was a bit more distinctive with its curved top and bottom and circular speaker hole on the front - the new one looks a bit more generic which is kind of a shame.

?299 from Carphone Warehouse for the 5X which I think is pretty good value though, especially if you favour stock Android (as I do).

The 6P I actually think looks really cool, I like the metal and the black bar on the back for the cameras/sensors/radios I reckon looks pretty dope! At ?450 it isn't bad value either if that's the size of phone you want.

The 5X could be let down by having the same battery as the N5 in it though. It's a pretty crap battery.

Really I think it comes down to how much you care about having stock Android. If I was going to buy a phone to replace my N5 (I'm not, barring anything bad happening to it), I'd probably get one of the new Nexuses. And honestly, probably the 5X since it's ?150 cheaper and not unnecessarily large. I don't really need a massive phone as I use my iPad for everything when I'm at home and my computer for anything vaguely work related.
              Nothing I disagree with there I suppose, although I still have my doubts that Huawei are capable of producing quality hardware!

I too favour stock Android - after using a N4 and N5 I could never switch to a skinned Android phone.

Definitely agree with you about the N5's battery. For me, it's arguably worse than the N4's batter and that's saying something when you consider just how poor the N4 battery life was.

Comment

My day one release N5 would last 4 hours without dying and had intermittant resets/crashes. I bought a red 32gb a couple of months back and its been rock solid so far. Dont feel the need to buy this new N5x, the days of keeping up with the joneses is long gone. I'm glad they refreshed it as I dont like phablets

Comment

Sorry, Nu-Eclipse, I couldn't resist.

I'm always tempted to check out a cheap Chinese mobile phone, but I always bottle it as I know support will be non-existent!
                  We’ve compiled a list of top 25 Chinese phones that bring price and functionality together.

I'd love a go of something random like a Takee 1 3D!

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    Nothing I disagree with there I suppose, although I still have my doubts that Huawei are capable of producing quality hardware!

I too favour stock Android - after using a N4 and N5 I could never switch to a skinned Android phone.

Definitely agree with you about the N5's battery. For me, it's arguably worse than the N4's batter and that's saying something when you consider just how poor the N4 battery life was.
                    My only experience of Huawei is a phone of theirs that a mate had that I thought was really good tbh, so I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility that the 6P will be a nicely built handset.

Comment

I know Huawei are stepping up their game massively - one aspect is the build of hardware for a global cloud computing initiative.

Comment

I've had a 6s for 2 weeks now my first iPhone since the 4s and I have to say I much prefer the Nexus 5 I'd been using.. So cancelled my contract and going back to android.. IOS hasn't really moved on much in my opinion.

Comment

If you head on over to Sony's website today, the company will warn you not to use its Xperia smartphones while underwater. That might come as a surprise, especially as Sony has repeatedly touted the waterproof capabilities of its devices in the past. But really, you shouldn't be doing it. XperiaBlog points out that the handset maker is now taking additional measures to discourage the practice, and has updated its website to help customers avoid making a costly mistake while at the pool.

Previously sold as usable underwater, first time I did this mine died. Turns out they aren't as waterproof as they first said. Where do I stand on this? Their initial marketing clearly showed the phone being used underwater to take photos. I want my money back!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/11/s...oof-explainer/

Previously sold as usable underwater, first time I did this mine died. Turns out they aren't as waterproof as they first said. Where do I stand on this? Their initial marketing clearly showed the phone being used underwater to take photos. I want my money back!
                            I saw a giant billboard saying that the best smartphones are waterproof.
                            I thought that was quite a claim, it meant they could never make one that wasnt

Comment

Contrasts with Apple who have made the 6s almost waterproof but not told anybody or made any claims about it.

Comment

Forget all that. There's a more interesting story linked on the same page. iOS users are respectively 105 and 66 percent more likely to search for Bondage and Fetish content than their Android-using compatriots

Comment

Working...
                                X