• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Parry View Post
    The phones I'd been thinking about are:

SonyEricsson Xperia (Free)
    Blackberry Storm (Free)
    Blackberry Bold (Free)
    iPhone (Chargeable - Ignore the quoted O2 prices, I was supposed to pay £150 for the K850i but got it for free. I've always gone for upgrades that are around £150 and I've not once paid for them.)
    My choice would be BlackBerry Curve 8900 or Nokia E71(my current phone and what an amazing phone it is).

If I "had" to pick one from your list it would be the Blackberry Bold (would be worried about the size) or the iPhone (new model launching soon).

I wouldn't use a Xperia is someone paid me, the user experience is just dire.

Comment

Originally posted by smokedog View Post
      iPhone (new model launching soon).
      Do tell...

v3.0 of the software is to be released soon (announcement will be on March 24th), but I've not heard anything about a new hardware revision?

Comment

It will be very,very hard to replace my blackberry bold when the time comes.
        I can't really fault it.

Its lightning fast and just works properly.

So glad i didn't get a Windows Mobile Phone. I did have an iphone for a week, but got rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by funkydan View Post
          Arse! It's not coming until 23rd March!
          That looks pretty neat actually, tempting. Due an upgrade in a couple of months so now on the lookout!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
            Do tell...

v3.0 of the software is to be released soon (announcement will be on March 24th), but I've not heard anything about a new hardware revision?
            Here and here

It's also just been rumoured that O2 are dropping the prices of the existing model in May, which only backs up these rumours.

Let's face it, Apple are known for their regular revisions, so it wouldn't be that big a surprise.

I still my jailbroken 1st gen, but may be tempted by the new model if the rumours are true.

Comment

Ooer. I can't see them changing the resolution at all. It'll break all the apps!

Comment

I've had a bit of a look around now and I quite like the idea of the iPhone at the moment.

Not sure which model though, especially mow there may be another along shortly. I know there's going to be a hell of a variation in App size but what sort of size are they usually? Is 8GBs likely to be a problem? There's no option to add a memory card from the details I've read of the iPhone?

I've read also that the the iPhone isn't MMS compatible? I wasn't expecting that. Is it possible to get around it by using a 3rd party App?

Comment

It depends on what you are going to use your Iphone for, the largest App I have is 500meg and that is a game, it's **** and I've barely played it though (much like most of the large paid for games).

You do obviously have the facility to sync apps to and fro from your PC to your Iphone at a whim so the Size will probably not be an issue.

My prediction is that there will be built in turn by turn satnav using google maps, I imagine the latest phone will feature some extra tech to make it work better such as a magnetomer. It could be that a full offline map package could take upto 2 gig of your space.

I never had any problem space wise with my 8 GB unit, but now I use it for all my music the 16GB is a must.

As for MMS there is none, you can receive them, but you have to visit the o2 site through your iphones browser in order to view it.
                  I very occasionally miss the MMS functionality on mine, but you can email photos very easily.
                  There are quite a few little normal phone features like MMS missing, but afte ra while you kinda realise that you don't really need them and that they just bloat out all the menus on the phones you've had in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial
                    I'm just stating the obvious mate. No, there is no difference whatsoever between the two models except the 8GB jump in memory and two different colours; 8GB is black, 16GB is white (on the back cover).
                    The 16GB is available in black and white, I think the white ones are only available in O2 stores.

Comment

Originally posted by John Parry View Post
                      I've read also that the the iPhone isn't MMS compatible? I wasn't expecting that. Is it possible to get around it by using a 3rd party App?
                      Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                      As for MMS there is none, you can receive them, but you have to visit the o2 site through your iphones browser in order to view it.
                      I very occasionally miss the MMS functionality on mine, but you can email photos very easily.
                      There are quite a few little normal phone features like MMS missing, but afte ra while you kinda realise that you don't really need them and that they just bloat out all the menus on the phones you've had in the past.
                      Very strong rumour that MMS will be included in the 3.0 firmware which is being unveiled tomorrow. As Boris said there is an app workaround available, but hopefully that won't be needed anymore.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the iPhone, it is an unbelievable piece of kit, and with the firmware updates and new apps, seems to be getting better and better.

Comment

i'm looking at getting an iphone in may/june time mates upgrade is due then and they will get me one if i buy them a toco so im up for that.
                        i'm on a normal o2 contract so does the iphone need to be unlocked to use a normal o2 sim card(cex sell iphone sim only and all o2 sim ones?)
                        its gonna be a choice between the iphone and a G2 next month(work for voda so will be super cheap)

really dont know which one to go for hope 3.0 does add mms as i use them quite a lot.

Comment

The Iphone is awesome though, in all honesty. I've had my fair share of gadgety phones and they all seem like such a collossal waste of time compared, I'll happily buy the upgraded Iphone each year as long as they make it, it really is fantastic. That's coming from someone who was very anti-apple.

Comment

It's almost definitely going to be the iPhone now, just have to wait to see what happens over the next couple of months and decide which version to go for.

I'm still surprised that MMS isn't available by default already. It's disappointing that you can't add to the memory using some sort of memory card too but I can put up with that I suppose.

I did ask before but didn't get an answer. If I have an iPhone and iPod on the same Mac, could it cause problems? I'd want to sync music to the iPod & Contacts/Calender/etc to the iPhone and would much rather be able to just plug them both in and have them auto sync without me having to mess around with them.

Comment

You shouldn't have any issues syncing multiple devices. I have an 80GB iPod and 16GB iPhone 3G syncing to my iMac just fine.

Comment

Ive also got an iPhone and all my families iPods synced to my mac with no problems. You can set all the devices up individually so thieve all got there own sync settings.

Comment

Working...
                                X