Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a play with an iphone 4 and compared the screen to my Desire.

HOnestly? I thought the Desire was nicer, but that could be purely due to having a much better background and nice icons.

Also found the sharp edges of the iphone made it not as comfortable to hold.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far, really swayed towards changing to the HTC at the moment.

Is there any form of push notifications like there is on the iPhone, also how does multitasking work?

Comment

By push notification I take it you mean for e-mails, apps, etc? If so, yes. I've got my yahoo e-mail set up through the mail app on my Desire and there's also a g-mail app you can use.

Screen-wise I'd agree that there's not really that much in it between the Desire and iPhone 4 having also played with a mate's iPhone.

Lastly, I'd say have a go of both of them and see which you prefer. You might simply not get on with one or the other. I'd say they're both great phones.

Comment

stu mate how did you get yahoo working on the desire? ive tried and failed with it lol

Comment

Yeah that's pretty much what I mean, for example if someone speaks to me on msn or an item I'm watching on eBay is about to end I get a notification without having the app actually open.

Comment

Originally posted by Myth View Post
              Yeah that's pretty much what I mean, for example if someone speaks to me on msn or an item I'm watching on eBay is about to end I get a notification without having the app actually open.
              Not so sure about that sort of thing but I don't use that many apps so might not be the best person to answer that. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't.

RobRoy: I logged in to yahoo mail on the pc, had to switch to mail classic temporarily, went to mail options, POP & Forwarding menu then selected "Allow your Yahoo! Mail to be POPed".

Comment

Notifications are SO much better on the Desire. You have a notification area, and things pop up in there (or on the main screen like text messages). Theyre no where near as obtrustive as the iPhones.

Apple have just hired the guy who did the notifications for Palm's WebOS, so fingers crossed, they'll be improving in iOS soon.

As for multitasking, yes the Desire (or any android phone) does it, and rather well too. Although its a trade off with battery life.

Comment

Chris you're really selling the Desire to me, I really wanted to just sell it on sealed and make my money but a mixture of YouTube footage and your comments have made me quite excited for playing around with it when it arrives.

I was under the impression that there wasn't a proper push notification system in place without having to have the apps open but I'm guessing that I was wrong.

I ask as it's one of my favourite iPhone features and the pull down notification bar on the Desire looks really neat.

I also really like the look of the helicopter view on the home screen.

Comment

You need Android just for this!!! http://vodpod.com/watch/3927819-mari...er-for-android

Comment

Agreed - it may be a battery killer but it's awesome
                      Last edited by Spatial; 04-07-2010, 21:46. Reason: what I typed made no sense. at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Myth View Post
                        I was under the impression that there wasn't a proper push notification system in place without having to have the apps open but I'm guessing that I was wrong.
                        Android doesn't do push email, you have to manually poll for new mail. The mail is always open as its part of the running tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by smokedog View Post
                          Android doesn't do push email, you have to manually poll for new mail. The mail is always open as its part of the running tasks.
                          Thats not true at all. While the email client may be open most lf the time, it definitely supports push email: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_e-mail#Google_Android

Comment

It's not just push email I'm after though, it's push notifications through apps without having them running.

I think it'll just be best for me to play around with the Desire on Tuesday and decide then.

Comment

Ok, upgrade time with Vodafone

Want the best out of them as their network has been by far the most reliable of the major operators I've tried in my neck of the woods.

Could do with a new phone to replace my now failing Nokia 6500s, so the question is how best would I go about negotiating a good deal? I'm currently on a 15 quid/12 month 800 mins unlimited texts contract which I would like to keep hold of.

Had a look on their website at their 'upgrade only' offers which are mostly **** and identical to offers available to new customers, which I don't find very fair in the slightest.

Anyone successfully scored big with a voda upgrade?

Comment

Windows Phone 7 has been previewed well by a few who've seen it.

It's been a long road, hasn't it? Well, in some respects, it hasn't -- in fact, it's only been about two years since development of Windows Phone 7 as we know it today kicked off -- but when you consider that this product will be replacing Windows Mobile 6.5, that puts things in proper perspective. In fact, even the very latest maintenance releases of good ol' WinMo are based on the same rickety underpinnings as version 5.0 was way back in 2005, at a time when WVGA smartphone displays were science fiction, 4G networks were a good two Gs beyond the average American's comprehension, and Engadget looked like this. Nowadays, it's a very different game; eight year-olds have access to mobile email, your phone understands German, and "Yelp" is a verb (okay, actually Yelp is a verb). Indeed, mobile devices are the new PCs -- and companies like Apple and Google are dominating an industry that had once been practically handed to Microsoft on a silver platter. No one -- either inside or outside of Redmond -- is arguing that change isn't desperately (and quickly) needed, because it simply isn't enough to dominate the desktop anymore. In light of all that, you could call Windows Phone 7 a desperation move to become relevant in the pocket again. Call it whatever you like, but regardless, brand loyalty isn't going to save this product -- it simply has to be good to sell. Scratch that; it actually has to be nearly flawless in a world where iOS 4 and Gingerbread play. Microsoft still has a few months before it intends to get the first volley of Windows Phone 7-based products to the marketplace, but we've recently been provided with reference hardware -- a not-for-retail Samsung called "Taylor" that's closely modeled on the Symbian-based i8910HD -- to get a feel for where they're at as the clock ticks down. Is this shaping up to be a killer platform for the next generation of high-end smartphones? And more importantly, can it win customers? Read on for our first take. %Gallery-97711% %Gallery-97717%

Comment

Working...
                                X